Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old sarahwc

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
sarahwc is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-31-01 , 05:21 PM

Hello,

I'm a reporter working on a story about negotiating prices in retail stores. I'm interested in speaking with buyers who have demanded discounts and gotten them in a major retail stores. I am on deadline and would like to speak to any successful negotiators as soon as possible. I can be reached at Sarah.Collins@wsj.com or at 917-510-2810.

Thank you for your help.
Sarah Collins

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-31-01 , 05:53 PM

Are we talking about true negotiation? Jewelry in major chain stores are overpriced so highly that when they go on "sale" or when someone "negotiates" a price, it's still way above what the item should cost anyway.

IMO, it's not true negotiating unless you know exactly what you're dealing with, like Iceman said.

For example, there are two types of people who buy cars. Ones who learn everything about the car including all of the invoice prices, and ones who don't. Both people likely "negotiate" a car price. The second guy will negotiate down from MSRP and think that he got a great deal and that he did a fantastic job of negotiating. The first guy will negotiate up from invoice cost. He is much more likely to get a better deal. But both have negotiated.

What I'm saying is that unless you are really knowledgeable about whatever it is that you're buying, I honestly don't believe that negotiation in a major retail store is going to truly get you a good deal. For one thing, most stores offer 15-20% employee discounts. Negotiating something down to 50% off the sticker price does not mean that you've pulled one over on the store and have gotten the deal of a lifetime.

That said, if you are shopping at major retailers anyway, it never hurts to ask for a discount. You're likely to get it.

Shelby

Old 1Maxwell1

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
1Maxwell1 is on a distinguished road

Truth in Pricing
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-31-01 , 11:39 PM

Wouldn't it be nice if when you saw a price tag and that is what everyone paid? I am proud to say that is what happens at our store! We mark our items fairly and our customers receive great value. "Feel good discounts" have ruined customers perception of value, how can a store take 50% off and item in the blink of an eye? (but it happens every day). When customers come in our door and they ask for a discount I just tell them that we don't mark up the product to mark it down and they respect that. I would urge every other jeweler and retailer to sell quality and good value rather than selling discounts.

1Maxwell1 signature
K. Maxwell Ohnezeit, R.J.
Registered Jeweler, A.G.S.
David Fairclough Fine Jewelers
Sylvania, Ohio
EightStar Diamonds, Lazare Kaplan
mohnezeit@msn.com
Old shelbyscout

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
shelbyscout is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=4, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-01-01 , 04:06 PM

Warranties, service agreements, and guarantees are 100% profit for the stores. That's why they push them. Also, since stores stopped paying salespeople on commission, what they get paid for is not what they sell but how many warranties they sell. Same thing with how many credit card accounts they open up. They have quotas and have to sell these, so that's why they push them so hard.

I agree with Maxwell and Iceman. The price is the price. If you don't think it's fair, there's the door.

The problem with negotiation is that it makes the customer feel like they are getting a good deal when in reality, most of the time they are not.

Shelby

Old Maria-D

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Maria-D is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-01-01 , 04:44 PM

>>The problem with negotiation is that it makes the customer feel like they are getting a good deal when in reality, most of the time they are not. <<

It also makes customers who are uncomfortable with negotiation feel like they are getting ripped off. I hate to haggle! Just tell me what the price is.

Maria D

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is there anything wrong with by Charlie1076
Up a Topic New to Jewelry need some help posted in JEWELRY by DumpALump
Older:
Down a Topic Dt s E Rings Go to Photo Album by babblingal
Down a Topic Dt s E Rings Go to Photo Album posted in DIAMONDS by babblingal