Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old shestheone

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
shestheone is on a distinguished road

Advice on "estate" ring purchase
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 12-07-09 , 08:28 PM

I'm considering buying this "estate" ring as an engagement ring. My girlfriend found it and loves it. When I went to speak with the seller at his small store, he didn't consider it an "estate" ring because it was never sold/worn. It used to be his father's business and he told me that they found it in the safe. He says it is from the 1930's and that there is no GIA appraisal for it, but that he will create an appraisal for me as he is a certified appraiser. I have no reason to doubt him as he has been in business for 26 years and has no complaints with the BBB, but I want to cover myself.

Can anyone tell me if this appears to be a old 1930's ring?

I believe he said the maker was "MFS"....does that sound correct?

Is it reasonable/normal to ask that it be appraised by an independent jeweler?

Should I be concerened if he will not let me have it independently appraised?

Here at the specifications according to the seller
.55ct
round cut with no culet
h-G color
VVS1-2 clarity
moderate blue flour
cutting very good
symmetry very good
polish very good
14K white gold
vintage "deco" style
4 side diamonds, 2 are full cut, 2 are single cuts

Photo notes: The flash made everything look yellow, and the reddish tint is the reflection from the red camera.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Eric

Last edited by shestheone : 12-07-09 at 08:52 PM.
Attached Images
cramer2.jpg cramer1.jpg

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old shestheone

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Advice on "estate" ring purchase
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-01-10 , 03:54 PM

I have more information to share. I believe that the "MFS" stands for M. Fabrikant & Sons, Inc. Is that a good, or bad thing?

Eric

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2520, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-01-10 , 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shestheone

Can anyone tell me if this appears to be a old 1930's ring?

I believe he said the maker was "MFS"....does that sound correct?

Is it reasonable/normal to ask that it be appraised by an independent jeweler?

Should I be concerened if he will not let me have it independently appraised?

The pictures that you have do not show this ring in sufficient detail or at the right angles to tell much about either the setting or the diamond. That style of setting was sold into the 60's and even 70's and so without looking at the diamond very closely it would be hard to tell you much about the possible time frame that the ring was made. You do want to have an independent APPRAISER look at this piece since they would be able to go over it with a microscope and tell you if the ring had ever been reworked and give an approximate time frame for the manufacture of the diamond. You can't just take it to any jeweler and expect good answers because many jewelers do not have the appropriate background to give you reliable answers.

The seller doesn't need to give you permission to have this looked at by an independent appraiser, since you would most likely be required to buy the ring before taking it from their shop. They should be willing to offer you some time frame in which you can return this ring, should it prove to not be what they are claiming it to be. Make sure that you have an appraiser lined up before buying this and do everything you need to in a short time frame.

Michael_E signature
Old shestheone

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-03-10 , 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
The pictures that you have do not show this ring in sufficient detail or at the right angles to tell much about either the setting or the diamond. That style of setting was sold into the 60's and even 70's and so without looking at the diamond very closely it would be hard to tell you much about the possible time frame that the ring was made. You do want to have an independent APPRAISER look at this piece since they would be able to go over it with a microscope and tell you if the ring had ever been reworked and give an approximate time frame for the manufacture of the diamond. You can't just take it to any jeweler and expect good answers because many jewelers do not have the appropriate background to give you reliable answers.

The seller doesn't need to give you permission to have this looked at by an independent appraiser, since you would most likely be required to buy the ring before taking it from their shop. They should be willing to offer you some time frame in which you can return this ring, should it prove to not be what they are claiming it to be. Make sure that you have an appraiser lined up before buying this and do everything you need to in a short time frame.

Thank you Michael
I will plan on arranging an appraisal from an experienced estate jewelry appraiser and making sure the selling jeweler will put in writing that the ring can be returned if the appraisal isn't within a certain range.

Eri

Old shestheone

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-24-10 , 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shestheone
Thank you Michael
I will plan on arranging an appraisal from an experienced estate jewelry appraiser and making sure the selling jeweler will put in writing that the ring can be returned if the appraisal isn't within a certain range.

Eric

UPDATE....The selling jeweler would not allow me to take it to an independent appraiser and return the ring if it wasn't within a certain price range, so I have walked away from this "jeweler".

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=236, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-25-10 , 09:53 AM

That's curious! And now there is a ring in your future from someone else

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old nushiecat

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
nushiecat is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-04-10 , 05:46 PM

Just wanted to say that I would not purchase a shallow diamond. You want some depth to it.

Read Messages in: Antique and Estate Jewelry All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Art Deco Rings by maven
Up a Topic Is this Cushion Cut Diamond a Good Choice posted in DIAMONDS by JayCee82
Older:
Down a Topic Help ID Antique Asian Rings by jefe86
Down a Topic Can I size a 7 5 to a 5 posted in JEWELRY by BlessedBeyond