Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Donna5

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Donna5 is on a distinguished road

Inclusions in Vintage Art Deco ring..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-19-10 , 05:50 PM

Hi all, after a few months of searching I found the ring I was looking for in a local jewellers and we got engaged last summer. I knew I wanted a platinum Art Deco style ring but didnt think I would find an original piece. It was literally love at first sight when I saw it in the shop window, it was exactly what I was looking for and the price was good for us too. The intricate detailing and workmanship on the setting is so lovely and not like anything you see nowadays. These are the specs:-

8 Claw set brilliant cut diamond
0.55 carats
Colour G/Clarity I1
Stepped shoulders each set 3 x single cut diamonds
Circa 1930's
2.8 grams

The diamond is beautiful, in artificial lights it sparkes like its on fire with so many colours, when I go to the supermarket it dazzles so much that going shopping has taken on a whole new meaning. However, In low light the diamond looks more white but still has a bit of dazzle.

Since buying the ring I have noticed a few things in the diamond. If I look into the diamond in the daylight or in low light I can see 2 very small straight black lines, one is just under the surface of the diamond to one side and one is low down in the diamond. You can only see them when you look directly into the diamond. No one else has noticed these but because I wear the ring and I'm always looking right into it I can see them. They started to concern me so I looked up the clarity of the diamond (I1) and was upset to find that this means 'eye visible inclusions' something that was not made clear to me at the Jewellers when we bought it. I emailed the jewellers with my concern and they told me I had nothing to worry about.

I will post a few pics up and would appreciate some general advice.

At the end of the day I love my ring and the inclusions dont seem to matter most of the time, I just wondered if this was such a big thing and if I shouldn't let it worry me or detract from how beautiful my ring is.

Thanks

Last edited by Donna5 : 01-19-10 at 06:11 PM.
Attached Images
jens jewels 1.jpg jens jewels 5.jpg P1000055.JPG

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old KatieJohnston

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
KatieJohnston is on a distinguished road

Re: Inclusions in Vintage Art Deco ring..
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-19-10 , 06:32 PM

Hi Donna5,

By the way, I love your diamond ring. It is absolutely stunning, and truly unique. I especially love the eight prongs! You just rarely see eight prongs on a diamond anymore, compared to the 4 or 6.

I am wondering if the black lines you are seeing inside your diamond are the prongs? Sometimes, the prongs can reflect into the diamond, and they will appear like inclusions. The best way to test this, is to actually tilt your diamond in light, and see if the inclusions go away.

Otherwise, if they are in fact, actual inclusions, I consider this true to the ring. Period pieces with diamonds tend to have more inclusions, as it was much harder to come across a flawless diamond, or one at all during some of the times. I consider them "clarity characteristics" and you will always know the exact diamond that is your's, because inclusions are like the fingerprint of a diamond.

I hope this helps!
Katie Johnston, G.G.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-19-10 , 07:36 PM

If the inclusions in your diamond don't bother and aren't all that noticeable I wouldn't worry about it. All it affects is price and that's probably one reason that you got a good deal on the ring. Since you like it and will be keeping it, it really shouldn't matter too much.

What does matter is that the prongs on one side look quite worn. With 8 prongs the stone will probably not have a problem right away, but I'd get a qualified bench jeweler to look them over and possibly repair at least these two.

Michael_E signature
Attached Images
jens PRONGS.jpg

Old Donna5

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-20-10 , 01:26 PM

Thank you for the replies

Katie, I've done what you suggested and turned the ring to the sides and I think the black line near the suface of the diamond disappears but the bigger line that sits lower down in the diamond doesnt, its hard to tell under artificial light as the diamond is very sparkly, I'll give it a try in natural light and see then. Thanks for the tip and the info about the inclusions. If the lines are indeed eye visible inclusions I will certainly remember to call them 'clarity characteristics' if anyone ever notices, I think thats a great turn of phrase .

Michael, thanks for the pointing out the prongs that need repairing on the photo, much appreciated, we would never have known that and now that we have taken a closer look at them we can see what you mean. I will definately at some point take the ring in to a local jeweller to have a look, I dont suppose you would know roughly how much we would be looking at to repair them?

Thanks again.

Last edited by Donna5 : 01-20-10 at 01:27 PM.
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-20-10 , 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna5
I will definately at some point take the ring in to a local jeweller to have a look, I dont suppose you would know roughly how much we would be looking at to repair them?

The cost to fix those depends on how it's done. If you want this to have maximum integrity and life, I would suggest having the tips built up using a laser. This is expensive, maybe as much as $30 per tip, but the metal added becomes one with the original metal. The other way to do this would be to solder new tips directly to the old ones. This works, but the solder has to be gold solder, since using platinum solder would burn the diamond. Using gold solder on platinum is not nearly as durable, nor does it look as good, but doing it this way would probably cost $10 or less per tip. I hope that helps !

Michael_E signature
Old Donna5

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-20-10 , 04:37 PM

That helps a lot, thanks Michael.

By the way, my mother just bought a 14X loupe on Ebay so when it arrives I'll be able to have a good look inside the diamond. I wish I had thought about purchasing one of these myself when I was looking, its funny how you always get more knowledgable afterwards!!).

Read Messages in: Antique and Estate Jewelry All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Resonalbe on line sources by Karin
Up a Topic Hello from Virginia posted in Greet New Members by vachic
Older:
Down a Topic old european pentant and ring age price by dutchmax
Down a Topic Help What price is expected for this posted in DIAMONDS by DOD2005