Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2520, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: How do I buy gemstones on ebay?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 05-21-05 , 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spear2
On this thread, a consumer is being advised to buy on ebay.
On a differend thread, a consumer is being advised to buy a uncertified diamond.

Maybe I am just being paranoid.
But I smell a big fat RAT!

Kind Regards,
Kyran Barry

Kyran,
No one is advising that anyone buy on E-bay, I definitely am not advising that. It is very easy to get skunked on there and although I do get skunked periodically, it is never for more than I care to GAMBLE. On the really bad ones where I have ended up with aquarium gravel, I have always been able to return the stuff for a refund. What usually ends up happening is that the color is way off or there are inclusions that are not described. Generally I still keep the goods, since I only buy them if the price is right and when I get skunked it means that the price went from great to about what it would cost from a standard supplier. If I wasn't able to recut the stones that I buy, the number of pieces that would be attractive would be much, much lower. It is ALWAYS a gamble though, and my advice is, " If you don't like to gamble, then don't buy on E-bay".
Buying an uncertified diamond from a reputable seller is a whole different matter and the decision to buy it depends totally on the knowledge and reputation of the seller and how comfortable you are with their opinion, (since a cert is also only an opinion, not a guarantee). Buying an uncerted diamond from the right person can make for a great deal. As always, it's up to the buyer to protect their own interests and make sure that they are getting the deal that they think they are, usually by getting a second opinion from a qualified independent appraiser. This is equivalent to Richards second opinion from a doctor analogy and it makes perfect sense.

BTW, I am not a big fat rat. I am a svelt, smooth talking, tall, dark haired hunk who looks like that Fabio guy on the margarine commercial, (great picture...believe it ? ).

Michael_E signature
Old Spear2

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 58
Spear2 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 05-21-05 , 01:29 PM

Oh I never meant to imply that you are a rat.
I am merely concerned with some of the info that is communicated to consumers.
I immigrated from a differend forum were things are done very differently.
Funny enough, that forum is being accused of giving consumers bad info by diamondtalk.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2520, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 05-21-05 , 02:10 PM

I know Kyran, I was just joking around. Everyone knows that I'm more like a CAT than a rat, well almost everyone.
If I were you I would just ignore the interforum competition thing, since it's kind of like rooting for one football team or another and there is no winning. Forums are made up of a wide variety of people with a whole range of opinions and the way to get the most out of them is to take ALL of those opinions into account along with whatever personal experience you can acquire and make your own opinion and decisions.

Michael_E signature
Old RichardWise

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Pigeon Blood Ruby

My Karma
RichardWise is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 05-21-05 , 02:49 PM

Michael, et al

Know what, I think with Ebay its not about the gems its about the roll of the dice, the spin of the wheel, lady luck! These folks love to gamble and they picked a good venue.

I like to buy rough, its the gamble, course I check it out, measure, and make a decision. But, if I had to do it all over again I think I would become a rough buyer and cutter. I just love the anticipation and my first glimpse of the finished stone.

As to Ebay, guess its like buying a ticket to the lottery, you know your chances are one in several million but, you never know!!!! Never bought one myself, I like games in which I have, at least, a fighting chance.

Richard W. Wise

RichardWise signature
Richard W. Wise
author: The Gemstone Connoisseurs Guide
Old trilby23

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: stacking rings in w.gold/plat

My Karma
Power: 60
trilby23 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 05-21-05 , 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardWise
Michael, et al
Know what, I think with Ebay its not about the gems its about the roll of the dice, the spin of the wheel, lady luck!
Richard W. Wise

Bingo! My feelings exactly. I buy more stuff on eBay than in any other venue -- CD's, books, clothes, shoes, towels, you name it; because why should I pay $18.99 for a CD at Borders, when I can get the very same CD on eBay for $8 plus $3 shipping? But that's just intelligent shopping. For anything else, and most especially for jewellery, eBay is more about entertainment than it is about consumer goods.

--------------- Trilby

trilby23 signature
"I can resist anything but temptation."
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=236, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 05-21-05 , 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy419
Not to distract from the topic of ebay, nor to start any sort of war (gulp!) ...

I've been looking at some of the "more reputable" on-line vendors recommended by various threads on this site. I looked at ajsgems.com, which seems to very reasonable in their prices...then I looked at cherrypicked.com, which seems....my life insurance policy wouldn't pay for one of those babies! What is the difference? What am I looking for?

Ah folks! Do you think you can stop pontificating your wonderful selves, long enough to remember why this thread was started.? ....
Amy has been asking for specific advice and so far only a few of the posts have actually addressed her questions...

Re-focus the discussion please....

Irish used her sweet voice to write this post...

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Last edited by irish : 05-21-05 at 05:02 PM.
Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Spear2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 05-21-05 , 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
I know Kyran, I was just joking around. Everyone knows that I'm more like a CAT than a rat, well almost everyone.
If I were you I would just ignore the interforum competition thing, since it's kind of like rooting for one football team or another and there is no winning. Forums are made up of a wide variety of people with a whole range of opinions and the way to get the most out of them is to take ALL of those opinions into account along with whatever personal experience you can acquire and make your own opinion and decisions.

Sometimes GIA and HRD don't always agree on everything.
Obviously there are a lot of room for debate on forums like these.
And obviously everyone will not agree on everything all the time.

So maybe it will be best if we just try to give Amy some advice that she can use, instead of fighting over meaningless things. (of coerce I acknowledge that I started the fighting)

Kind Regards
Kyran Barry

Old lwold

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 62
lwold is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#33 @ 05-21-05 , 10:20 PM

What does HRD stand for?

Old Spear2

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#34 @ 05-22-05 , 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwold
What does HRD stand for?

"Hoge Raad voor Diamant" or "Diamond supreme council" in English

Old LagunaMom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 73
LagunaMom is on a distinguished road

My Brief Experiences with Ebay
Quote this post and reply to it Post#35 @ 05-23-05 , 05:25 PM

I've had 2 experiences with purchasing gems on Ebay. I may be in the same situation as you, Amy, because I love gems but simply aren't in the financial position to plunk down much money on them and always need to look for bargains.
My first online purchase was an oval pink tourmaline, my birthstone. I looked a lot at the vendor's ratings and exactly what kinds of negatives were there. The rating was in the 99+% range, and since I spent less than $20 on the stone (a bit over a carat), I didn't expect anything terrific.
Two things struck me: First, the color was much darker than on my monitor. It is a nice color, but it looks quite a bit more like my Rhodolite garnets (in earrings) than the lighter pink of what I had desired. Second, it was very shallow. I could've/should've checked it more carefully before I purchased it. I've yet to have it set, but as an inexpensive gem for a little pendant, I'd say it's quite acceptable.
From another vendor, I bought garnet stud earrings. They were supposed to be blood-red, per the description and the picture. Beautiful earrings arrived, but they were clearly orange. I had no trouble sending them back for the full refund, including their shipping. Still, it was a pain to have to go through this.
Both of the vendors had high positives; both had return policies; both had info on the cuts of the gems. However, I don't think I would buy again off of Ebay, unless it was from a vendor that had good word-of-mouth on Diamondtalk. (BTW: I ended up buying an absolutely dynamite pair of sterling silver clear, blood-red garnet dangle earrings at a Ross store for $15.)
I think the best way to get a good deal on a gemstone is to go to a gem show. You get to see a wide variety of gems, and the prices tend to be pretty good. It's the cost of setting them that may pinch you the most if you're on a tight budget. I have stones waiting to be set, and pearls and jade beads waiting to be strung.
My question to you is whether you are looking for stones just to collect or want to select the stones yourself to have set into jewelry. If you just want stones for a collection, then choose the best you can on Ebay but realize that you very might well have to take the time and energy to send them back. If you're looking for decent gems for jewelry, you might have to compromise on size, quality, and style. Because of the price of setting gems, I have learned to scour the local stores--from Robinson's May to TJ Maxx to even Wal-Mart--to find reasonably-priced jewelry to knock-around in.
Good luck.

Old RichardWise

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Pigeon Blood Ruby

My Karma
RichardWise is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#36 @ 05-24-05 , 09:03 AM

The best quality gems are usually found loose. Gems found in mass production are, with few exceptions, the bottom of the barrel.

Most gems of quality are rare. Whether we are talking Alexandrite or Amethyst. Fine stones are cut based on the size of the rough without consideration for the needs of the jewlery industry.

Mass produced jewelry must be made to a consistent standard using calibrated (size) stones. Normally gems set in pre made settings can only vary a couple of tenth of a millemeter meaning that gems set in mass produced jewelry must be precisely cut to fit in these pre-made settings.

Rare fine stones are, as I said cut as the rough dictates. NO one is going to sacrifice even a portion of the weight as it will lower the value of the resulting cut stone. There's the rub. Thats why you may find good diamonds in mass-produced settings because diamonds are not rare! But fine color, rarely!

Richard W. Wise

RichardWise signature
Richard W. Wise
author: The Gemstone Connoisseurs Guide
Old velourial

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
velourial is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#37 @ 06-15-05 , 07:29 PM

About a year ago, when I was first getting educated about the whole gem thing, I bought spinel on ebay. It was from a seller with good feedback and a good return policy. It was described ("cranberry colored") and exactly as pictured, 6.75mm, pretty well-cut, and dark red. Not really a collector's piece, and not really very pretty, but worth, I think, the $25 I paid for it. I'm not going to do anything with it, I just wanted to see what dark spinel looked like.

I like the idea of buying recut gems from people like Michael E. He's sort of your "e-bay steward" who can recut a gem and, I think, pass at least some of his savings onto the customer (I say, "at least" because I would never begrudge Michael E. a premium for the great work he does to the stone after he gets it).

Old ilarita

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ilarita is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#38 @ 09-02-05 , 12:20 PM

A few things I have learned from purchasing on ebay...

Don't buy from someone who won't let you return the item.

Don't purchase gemstone lots sold by the carat. Most of the stones you will receive are tiny and badly cut. (they are fun to look at though)

Don't spend more on anything than you are willing to lose.

Ask questions before you bid! If they don't give you a satisfactory answer...move on, no matter how much you like it...unless...see above statement.

Don't expect to get a flawless diamond for .99 cents...it just ain't goin to happen!

Most importantly..it sure is fun to look at all the pretty colors and shapes, just be a choosy shopper!

I have gotten some incredible deals by being picky and have lost some money on some crap. It is a gamble!

ilarita signature
I'm not a complete idiot...some parts are missing!
Old quuwan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
quuwan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#39 @ 10-16-10 , 12:51 PM

I am Thai people the one who sell gemstones on eBay for more than a year. I know and understand that anyone will confuse and have the terrible experience in this market about gemstones. Anythings you talk about is correct, the thief seller, synthetic are very much in this place but seller don't inform in description correctly etc. If you've ever bought its from Thai seller. I have to say sorry for their. And the one things is real are some Thai seller that work hard for make the good cutting stone for service customers in eBay. And I am very serious about this problems. So all stones I sell on eBay is natural only. Why I am sure? Because more than 90% in my store, I cut from rough I bought myself. And the rest I bought cutting stone from the supplier that I have to know their bought the natural rough. If not, I would not order them. Some auction from 0.99 $ and some list by fixed price. But for some customers that need more confidence about the stone, we will ship the rough of the stone, if I still have because for some ex.unheated sapphire big size I have to preform and the part of its mixed by water, so I don't know how to separate it to ship for confirm. But I can offer the certificate report if customer need. For this reason, I've never received the neg feedback and comment about "fake" for some words like this.
If you don't have any idea about my explanation. Please come to my store on eBay before and check it. If you order and need some rough to make confidence, I can do it for you. And I offer the cert lab you trust in Thailand, normally I will send the AIGS, TGL and EMIL lab for certified. My store is "zoultier". Don't worry if you don't need to shop because I can be your friend.
Finally, I know the problem but I don't want to be some part of problem. Hope you will understand what I try to explain because I don't accurate English language much.
Have a great day.
Q
zoultier

Old moonfleet

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
moonfleet is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#40 @ 10-17-10 , 08:48 PM

Quote:
help?!?!

So how does one go about buying a gemstone on ebay? What do I look for to get good/decent quality - what are warning signs?
Thanks,
Amy

I have bought many things on e-bay, but steer clear of jewelry as it is so easy to get stuck with something over advertized. There are reputable and honest auctions going however, though many that are not. It is as another poster has said, a crap shoot. I have sold things on e-bay and am scrupulous to be clear and honest but that is just me. Right now I have a thrilling little diamond ring up for auction which is exactly what I am advertizing it is. I have every measurement posted, the GIA cert number and instructions how to verify, and many angle photos. I am not going to promote it here in this thread. My point is, as others here have said, though some are honest be educated, and don't buy un-certified. If there is a certification, have the number and verify it. Few details/diamond stats on a listing is suspicious. Buying diamonds on the internet is fine IMO so long as you really have done your homework. Many jewelry stores offer great deals with 30day any reason money back guarantees. Be wary of e-bay, but bear in mind there are some for sale there that are legit, I know mine is (my son's engagement broke after only 3 months, he could not face selling the ring so carefully chosen, so I am selling for him). Choose wisely and good luck.

Old moonfleet

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
moonfleet is on a distinguished road

Ebay vs this site
Quote this post and reply to it Post#41 @ 10-17-10 , 09:01 PM

This site has jewelry classifieds and comments from many who know what they are talking about far better than me. Measurements are asked. I am going to be posting my ring for sale here this coming week as e-bay is too competitive with buyers opting for mounted rock salt for a bargain price than paying an appropriate price for quality. Have you looked over the classifieds on this site?

Last edited by moonfleet : 10-17-10 at 09:03 PM.
Old hippocampus

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
hippocampus is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#42 @ 10-19-10 , 06:35 AM

When buying alexandrite at eBay you can gain some background information on the stone, its history and other important facts such as the color change, etc. These will come in very handy, especially if you donít know much background information on the alexandrite. Both natural and synthetic alexandrite is available in eBay.

Synthetic alexandrite is basically lab made alexandrite and you will find this introduced using many words such as man made, lab alex, lab grown, etc. Synthetic alexandrite is not inferior in quality than the natural alexandrite, they will carry the same chemical composition and even the same color change most of the time but you should note that natural alexandrite will always be high in value as theyíre very rare. When youíre looking for alexandrite on eBay, the seller should disclose if the stone is natural or synthetic. Please bear in mind that a natural stone measuring well over .50 carat and having good clarity will cost thousands of dollars and you can use this information as guide to the reliability of the stone.

Make sure you carefully check all the information about the stone thatís given by the seller. Your main concerns should focus on points such as percentage color change (this is the extent to which color is changed in the stone endorsed by the American Gem Lab). If the color change is more intense then the price tends to be high. And also look for information on clarity.

Old Jewelove

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Estate Jewelry

My Karma
Jewelove is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#43 @ 02-15-11 , 06:29 AM

Quote:
help?!?!

So how does one go about buying a gemstone on ebay? What do I look for to get good/decent quality - what are warning signs?
Thanks,
Amy

I agree with Richard, don't!

I have earlier seen a 5cts. faceted "blood red" Ruby being sold for 100$ or something!

Old dalethomas

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
dalethomas is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#44 @ 02-16-11 , 02:41 AM

I don't think that ebay is good option for buying gemstones

Old albertclarke

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
albertclarke is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#45 @ 03-04-11 , 01:01 PM

Almost everyone has a money back return policy.

Old EllisONE

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 34
EllisONE is on a distinguished road

Get a GIA cert when online shopping
Quote this post and reply to it Post#46 @ 04-30-11 , 10:49 PM

Whether you buy from ebay or other online sellers, make sure they have good feedback and a return policy you can live with. Do your homework about what you want, and most importantly, make sure the stone you buy is GIA-certified. GIA is known for their accuracy and strictness in grading--that way you aren't overpaying for a stone based on a loose grading report. Hope this helps!

Old zoultier

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
zoultier is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#47 @ 10-22-11 , 04:44 AM

Hi,
Actually I sell some gemstones in eBay, my user name is "zoultier". I am in Thailand, where the place sell gemstones and jewelries in eBay a lot and have a lot of problem about honesty also. I know and understand what you are serious about in eBay. Some sellers sell fake stone but inform they are natural. Someone sell the pictures only, when buyer made payment. They will withdrawn and not send anything to buyer. So buyer will have bad experience about this point a lot. But in eBay still have good natural gemstones by good price a lot. But the homework of buyer is they have to contact seller and require the certificate report from famous lab in Thailand, ex. GIA, AIGS, TGL etc. And stress sellers that if they sell synthetic by inform it is real, you will let eBay know. I think this way can protect buyers also. And buyer have to make sense about the price also. Some buyers won the unheated sapphire 5 ct.size by 9.99 USD. It is impossible that stone is natural unheated sapphire. Because actual price in market is not lower than 1,000 - 1,500 USD/ ct. But buyer got 9.99 USD. If it is real, seller will lose 5,000 USD+. Do you think they do accept to lose this amount?
About eBay feedback, they can not judge 100% that seller that have high percentage of feedback, 99+%, will sell the natural only. Because some buyer don't need to have trouble so they will accept full refund and keep the fake stone, jewelry, and don't left the negative to sellers because seller negotiated that they will full refund and buyer didn't return fake stone to exchange to not left negative feedback. But if buyer know paypal rule, they will not care because if sellers sell somethings not as describe. Buyer have chance to win 100% although they will not return the item to seller.
One important thing, all sellers very serious if buyer will dispute at eBay and paypal a lot if they wrong because now the account opening in eBay is harder than past a lot. So I think they will not sell to buyer that request like this.
For me, I've never sold synthetic stone before. All I sell are natural gemstone only because I think buyer buy gemstone because they believed it is natural from the earth. And I don't fear if buyer request to certified the stone before because almost of them I cut from the rough and all rough I've supplied from brokers around the world. You can try to check at my store before and you will know why I can not sell the synthetic stone. my store ID is "zoultier". And you will change some believe about buying the gemstone on eBay.
Thanks for let me clarify something I think. And if I can help someone in this board about something, you can let me know. If we will not deal with but we can be friend.
Best Sincerely,
Q
Zoultier

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Rarest Gem by GIA
Up a Topic Rarest Gem posted in GEMSTONES by GIA
Older:
Down a Topic Demantoid Garnet by neo125
Down a Topic Black Diamond posted in General Discussion by ryefri15