Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old KyungHei

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
KyungHei is on a distinguished road

Off-Topic: Best Tropical Island?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-23-03 , 04:32 PM

I don't know how you folk look upon off-topic posts and I hope that I'm not crossing some etiquette line - but I thought that you well traveled dt-ers could give me some good advice on tropical islands.

My fiance and I want to get married on a tropical island (near the americas, Hawaii is too expensive). I envisioned myself in a beautiful simple silk wedding dress, on the beach, the waves lapping nearby, possibly at sunset...

I'm looking for something romantic, not too resort-like, and hopefully away from drunken hoards of college students. I want the romance of the landscape and seascape, not too affected by the hand of man.

Does anyone have a positive or negative island experience to share? Any good tips? Which islands have you visited and how well did you like them?

Thank you for you help!!! All advice is much appreciated!!!

Last edited by KyungHei : 05-23-03 at 04:42 PM.
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old bethann

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
bethann is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-23-03 , 05:04 PM

Cabo San Lucas ???

Old oldsalt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
oldsalt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-23-03 , 05:28 PM

Off the east coast of the U.S. or west?

oldsalt signature
God bless and protect America and our brave servicemen and women
Old debinsandiego

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
debinsandiego is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-23-03 , 06:26 PM

Cabo is OK. It's been a while since I've been there, but I thought it was a bit touristy and expensive for Mexico. Perhaps further up the east cape of Baja??

East Coast venues - Florida Keys?? Virgin Islands??

West Coast venues - Hawaii ... the MAIN ISLAND. Maui is the trendy place, yeah, yeah, to get "mauied"... what ever. However, the main Island has some areas that sound good. I'd do some research.

Northern Baja - Punta Banda. Now this would be budget but BEAUTIFUL. Punta Banda is just south of Ensenada. If you and your husband-to-be are close enough to drive down there for a weekend to check the place out, I'd HIGHLY recommend it. Every time I'm down there, I think this is what Southern CA must have looked like hundreds of years ago, very natural and beautiful. There are large lots where you can camp over night for very cheap, or rent out a few hundred acres for a private party.

Also, try Wedding Talk... I'm not sure how to move this post there, that might help.

debinsandiego signature
Asscher Addict
Old bluegrotto

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
bluegrotto is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-23-03 , 07:48 PM

Where are you coming from??? I live in Hawaii and there are many ways to make the trip here reasonably priced. There are great places to get married here outer islands.

Gina

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 261
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8827, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-23-03 , 09:59 PM

Been too : Nassau bahamas
Abacos bahamas
Puerto Rico
St. Thomas
St. Martin
Trinadad & Tabago
Dominican Republic
Hati
Outer banks
Melbourne beach

Least favorite Dominican Republic/Hati

For a wedding St.Martin or St.Thomas maybe although St. Thomas seems a little touristy , it is beautiful.

Check out this site for some ideas
www.islands.com kind of cool.

Jan picked out St. Barts for next place until I looked it up on there. Definitly not a place for a wedding. Although you could save a lot on the wedding dress.

Now she is looking at Turks & Caicos. which is supposed to be remote. It isn`t even listed on that site. It is however listed in their Islands magazine.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Last edited by Brad : 05-23-03 at 10:10 PM.
Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-23-03 , 11:30 PM

I quess it was in the wedding section.

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Attached Images
t&c.jpg

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-23-03 , 11:34 PM

http://www.thesandsresort.com/

Man the Virtual Tour thing is cool.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

Last edited by Brad : 05-23-03 at 11:39 PM.
Old sugarnsquirt

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
sugarnsquirt is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-24-03 , 01:06 AM

I agree with Brad. St. Thomas is beautiful and the locals are very nice. The hotles are beautiful and the water, especially Megan's bay, is absolutely gorgeous. Grand cayman is very nice too. It is a little too touristy but beautiful non the less. My FH and I are thinking about going to Seychelles off the coast of Kenya for our wedding. If money does not permit that then we will go to St Thomas. Nassau Bahamas is great if you are at a resort. Sandals resorts has pretty good Honeymoon/Wedding packages.

Sugar

Old KyungHei

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Thank you everyone for your advice!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-27-03 , 05:05 PM

I guess I should have mentioned that my fiance and I and both our families live on the east coast. We wanted to have the wedding on an island as close as possible but far enough south to avoid the Spring Break crowds! When it comes to traveling with lots of family - the less time together in airplanes and in airports the better!

My cousin mentioned to me the other day that I should try to avoid the islands that are on cruise stops - something that I had not even considered! It makes sense. I don't want the island that I'm on to be covered in a thousand more people at a time, people who are all in a rush to buy and see all they can in eight short hours. That just isn't the type of thing that I envisioned for my tropical wedding!

I'm afraid that the Florida keys may be too close to the mainland (hence too full of drunken college kids) - but the virgin islands might be more our speed...

Old debinsandiego

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
debinsandiego is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-27-03 , 05:17 PM

Quote:
Seychelles off the coast of Kenya

Didn't British Airways just stop flying to Kenya due to threat of terrorist attacks??

http://www.britishairways.com/trave...tops/public/en_

http://www.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/afric...ghts/index.html

I have no plans right now, but AFRICA, Kenya is some place I'm going to have to visit in my life time... Just not today.

debinsandiego signature
Asscher Addict
Old LittleMagpie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
LittleMagpie is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 06-04-03 , 01:17 AM

Okay, it's nowhere near the U.S., but sometimes there are VERY good deals on flights to Fiji, and it's darn cheap to stay there. Think 5-star resort at Holiday Inn prices. Tourism is their economic mainstay, and they aren't getting many tourists right now. If you talked with a travel agent, you might be surprised at what you could get at a great price. Plus, there are plenty of beaches that look absolutly untouched.

Alright, you didn't ask for recommendations on islands halfway around the world, but I had to make the suggestion.

Mag

LittleMagpie signature
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 167
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 06-04-03 , 01:31 AM

OK, it's nowhere near the US, but the island of Aitutaki is incredible. It's the most remote place I've ever been to (along with northern Alaska).
It is completely unspoiled, very few tourists, just one or two stores, and has incredible snorkeling and turquoise-blue water. It is the only place in the world I've ever heard of that completely bans dogs. Years ago, the natives thought dogs carried leprosy, but although disproven, the ban still is in effect.
Aitutaki is part of the Cook Islands, a protectorate of New Zealand.
Non-stop flight from Los Angeles: 9 1/2
hours to Roratonga, then 30 minute flight to Aitutaki.

Old winyan

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
winyan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Me, too DebsinSanDiego...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 06-04-03 , 08:33 AM

I've been to Egypt, which technically is part of Africa, but not to the more 'jungle' areas. Oddly enough...(or maybe not so oddly considering the multi-cultural family I am part of) I have a cousin in law from Kenya. *LOL* I have a cousin in law from Mexico City. Now I'm waiting for a cousin who's currently serving in the Peace Corps in the Philippines to announce she's engaged to wed a Phillippine Islander. Then we will truly be a rainbow family. But anyway, my cousin has a large family and estate in Kenya. We were hoping to visit this year, but with the current warnings it's a no go.

win

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 92
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 06-04-03 , 09:18 AM

I got married in FIJI but that is probably way too far off course for you. If you just want a private island with great nature there is one whose name eludes me but JFK got married there and I heard great things about it before then. It is not tropical but close by definitely private and not touristy...the name the name... hmmm anyone?

ancienthills signature
Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 87
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 06-04-03 , 10:30 AM

If you want an island close to the States, you could always go to Bermuda....

It's a British island, very classy and expensive

You will NOT find any college students there! They couldn't afford it

Awesome old hotels with HUGE honeymoon suites too!!

Old LittleMagpie

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
LittleMagpie is on a distinguished road
Referrals: 1

Good suggestion, Itbit
Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 06-04-03 , 03:25 PM

The Cook Islands are a great choice. I stayed on Rarotonga, not Aitutaki, and it was amazing! However, if you or your bride is under the age of 20, you have to have a note from your parents saying you can get married.

Mag

LittleMagpie signature
Ecclesiastes 3:1-2
Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 92
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 06-04-03 , 05:44 PM

Cook Islands are more down my way though in the South Paciffic. I would love to hear about your vacation there though because I considered them for this year for a get away...Did you stay in a glass bottomed bure?

ancienthills signature
Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 06-04-03 , 05:58 PM

We stayed in Roratonga also, but we took a side trip to Aitutaki.
We stayed at The Roratongan, a state-owned hotel. We had a great time running around the island on a motor scooter, snorkeling, and hiking with Pa, a local with blonde dreadlocks who guides tourists on island hikes.

Old KyungHei

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 06-06-03 , 07:23 PM

While I've always wanted to go to Alaska or New Zealand, the thought of traveling with both our families for 9+ hours before the wedding sounds like a recipe for disaster! I don't think that we'd like each other all that much by the time it came down to exchanging vows! Also, we wanted to get married on the beach during March, making Bermuda just a bit too cold. The tropics near the Americas sound the best. I really want to know about the islands off Belize versus St. Johns or the Turks and the Caicos or Saba or the Grenadines or Costa Rica... There are so many islands and beaches down there and so many of them are different from each other!

We would prefer not to get married on one of the islands that cruise ships stop at (like St. Thomas or Jamaica) and we would like to stay away from college crowds (which means the Bahamas and Jamaica, at least). A nice quiet wedding on the beach with waves lapping and the breeze sturring up our hair... that's more of what we're looking for.

Maybe someday we'll get to both Alaska and the South Pacific- but hopefully we'll be going without our families!

Old BirdofParadise

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
BirdofParadise is on a distinguished road

Definitely avoid cruise ship islands.
Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 06-06-03 , 09:55 PM

Places like Grand Cayman get up to 15,000 cruise ship passengers a DAY. Turks and Caicos is not so great. The beaches are nice, but the island is pretty ugly.

My advice would be Anguilla. There are a couple of super deluxe hotels there (Cap Juluca and Malihouana) that would be fabulous for a wedding and honeymoon. Check it out!

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 06-07-03 , 12:41 AM

Is Aruba a good choice? I've never been there. I remember someone years ago talking about how great Aruba was.

Read Messages in: Planning a Wedding All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Wedding Themes by sweet7696
Up a Topic advice on buying a diamond help posted in DIAMONDS by cwb4tx
Older:
Down a Topic Best Island for a Wedding Suggestions Warnings by KyungHei
Down a Topic 2 75 asha RB tiffany mount in platinum posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by Chanel