Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

View Poll Results: Which theme colours?
Black and beige 10 41.67%
Purple and beige 14 58.33%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply New Thread

Old AlSquared

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
AlSquared is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 10-07-03 , 04:36 PM

Hi DT/WT! I'm new to posting here, but I've been reading all of your awesome advice for a while, so I thought I'd ask everybody their opinion on my theme!

I'm getting married sometime in the summer probably, and I would like to know if a black/beige theme was less/more appropriate than a dark purple/beige theme. Or even which one you think may be nicer.

I'm sort of leaning towards the purple because of the season, and because the flowers would be easier to coordinate, but the idea of black sounds very chiq to me.

What do you think?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old winyan

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
winyan is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=1

Hi there Alsquared...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 10-08-03 , 08:31 AM

Let me preface this by saying I'm older (54).

That being said, neither color scheme appeals to me. Darker colors, to me, evoke Fall/Winter, not Summer/Spring.

I would consider rather than a color/theme, you consider an era theme, like Art Deco, Edwardian etc?

win

Old Pouffykitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 76
Pouffykitty is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 10-08-03 , 08:43 AM

I'm 23, and both black and dark purple sounds kinda heavy for a summer wedding... is it formal? If it's black-tie, then I can see it, but otherwise, it seems too... dark, especially if it's during the day and HOT. Chic or not, it's solely up to you. If you like it, then who care what everyone else thinks.

btw, everything matches with black, so I voted for black and beige.

Pouffykitty signature
Please remain seated, and keep your hands, arms, and legs inside at all time until the ride comes to a full and complete stop.
Old AmantdeChat

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 65
AmantdeChat is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 10-08-03 , 10:38 AM

Although summer weddings are usually lighter colors, it's your wedding and you should do what you want!

Maybe join the black and purple (possibly a lighter color purple) together with silver accenting the two? The beige sounds a little bland (no offense intended) that's why I suggested the silver.

Whatever you choose it will be beautiful because it is what you and your future hubby want! Congrats and good luck.

AmantdeChat signature
Be who you are and say what you feel; because those who mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind. ~Dr. Suess
Old AlSquared

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 10-08-03 , 11:41 PM

Thanks for the replies everybody.

Your advice is good, the dark colours do seem too heavy. But it will be quite formal, and i was leaning more towards accents in that colour rather than whole swathes.

I'm all about simple, even my dress is simple, white sleeveless with a band around my tum in ivory. So that's why I went with the beige combo... is beige the same as ivory or am I way off? I never did get these fine distinctions sorted out in grade school!

And the other thing I should mention is that I'm a bit worried about overly simple, like you guys, but I'm not sure what to do to spice it up a notch! I've been pondering themes like Win suggested, but the best I can come up with is the love for books both my fiancee and I share. (Was that grammar in that horrible? No English classes for Mechanical Engineers!) Does anybody have any themes that don't require a new dress, but isn't too subtle/simple?

Thanks guys!

Old kailyn

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
kailyn is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 10-09-03 , 12:28 AM

Well, I think beige is darker then Ivory, but if your going ivory black and purple or both as accents sounds fine. trim,sash,jewels,etc...

Do many know both of you love books, sounds like a neat theme, stacks of books cake, favors could be fabric covered little note pads with decorated pen to echoe a book and bookmark, an invite mimicing a book/bible, center pieces somehow having pages of books tucked into it, someone that was in scrapebooking left a page at every table with stick glue, die cuts shapes pens and little papers for guests to write little notes to the couple and colaborate on making a page from their table, for their very own story book (having disposable camera was there to, she added the pictures between the made pages to tell the whole story.

Hope this helps or gets your own ideas flowing, I love weddings... best wishes

Old AlSquared

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 10-09-03 , 10:59 AM

Oh RoseMary those are wonderful ideas! Thank you so much for your suggestions they sound perfect for us! Yes people know we love books, and your ideas have really got me thinking about how to make the book theme work... thank you!

Old kailyn

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 10-09-03 , 11:05 AM

I'm glad I could help you get started have fun and keep everything in perspective another words dont't get to stressed..... all that really matters is the both of you have a wonderful life together!!!

Old AlSquared

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Origami?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 10-10-03 , 03:13 PM

Thanks RoseMary!

As for centrepieces in the book theme, do you think I could pull of an interesting Origami display? I'm off to the bookstore to find some Origami books soon, I think that it would be a nice, CHEAP way to integrate the book theme with my tables. What do you guys think?!

Old kailyn

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 10-10-03 , 05:09 PM

Theres a lot you can do with origami, I'm part japanese, so I made 1001 silver cranes stringed and hung with silk flowers on a branch with lights it ended up looking like a willow tree, I also used gold cranes large, med, and small ones on wire, connected inbetween by gold tulle, at different heights representing Dad, Mom, and Kids in a potted plant for centerpieces for my parents 50th anniversery, And all the guest "got it" and laughed.

Origami has lots of flower forms, boxes etc. so you should have fun but its alot of work so you may want to incorporate plant or real flower material, I'll keep my lightbulb going for ya,

Old AlSquared

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

1001?!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 10-11-03 , 12:03 PM

RoseMary - Wow that is a LOT of work, how long did it take you?

And those centerpieces sound beautful, if you have any digital pictures you can post I would love to see them, they sound like works of art!

Old kailyn

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 10-11-03 , 01:05 PM

Alsquared...

Well, It took 18months between the other wedding stuff/( I also beaded all my bridesmaid dresses, my dress and made the flower girls dress) and alot of family volunteers, I have pictures but of course need to figure out scanning, etc... and help from my husband thats not around much right now do to crunch mode a work for the holiday season. He's an art director for a gaming company , so he is in big with all the kids. And work is crazy to get the games to market. I'll try my hardest to get them to ya, or pm me and I can copy and send them to you via mail thats the best bet.

Read Messages in: Planning a Wedding All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Seperated Divorced parents names on invitation by manhattan01
Up a Topic 2 04 Emerald Cut Good Deal posted in DIAMONDS by grollins
Older:
Down a Topic Got Marriage License by PlatinumDiamond
Down a Topic michael B petite princess ring posted in DIAMONDS by calboy98