Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old jjipsy

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
jjipsy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 03-07-04 , 01:26 AM

my fiance and i are getting married in oct/04 and really don't want showers or registries. we are in our mid 30's and have ENOUGH stuff. With all the expenses of the wedding we are short on funds for a honeymoon and were thinking in leu of the shower gift and gift registry we would ask for $ to be contributed to the honeymoon. is this rude? how do we do this properly as not to offend anyone? not sure what to do....

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 70
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3151, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 03-08-04 , 12:26 PM

Well, what you DON'T do is have it printed anywhere and mailed to people... I think the best way would be to tell your maid of honor and best man, and perhaps the mothers, and let them handle it. But no matter what you do, I'm pretty sure you WILL get some gifts. See if you can think of a place that you might like a few things from and check with them to see if they take return-for-cash bridal gifts if you register. I think most of them are exchange, but it's worth a shot.

I have a friend who had it printed in the reception cards 'in lieu of gifts, a wishing well will be available' (my dad had to come ask me what a wishing well was; I told him it's for people that want to give money as gifts, and he was like 'Cool! I can do that!'. But I'm not real hot on the idea of printing where you are registered or requesting cash gifts - in my opinion, that's for the bridal attendants to handle.

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Last edited by GemGoddess : 03-08-04 at 12:30 PM.
Old elliefold

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
 0  0

My Karma
Power: 54
elliefold is a jewel in the rough elliefold is a jewel in the rough elliefold is a jewel in the rough
Hits: Out=164, In=5

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 03-08-04 , 12:42 PM

We were in the exact same boat. When we got married, we were already merging two complete households and really did NOT NEED anything else and preferred cash.

I completely agree with GemGoddess - - whatever you do; do not print it on anything! Spread the word with your families and the wedding party. Everyone tends to ask them where you are registered (especially if nothing is printed on the invitation) and they can tactifully tell your guests that you are wanting cash for your honeymoon and/or savings.

They are several banks that will now setup a wedding registry account... guests can deposit money into this account (I think the amount deposited is kept confidential) and it is a savings account setup for the newly married couple!

Old noush

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 1

My Karma
Power: 44
noush is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 03-23-04 , 03:44 PM

I'm in a similar situation.

Have you seen http://www.thebigday.com/ where you set up a honeymoon registry? And people can choose to pay for specific parts of your honeymoon? They have sample registries on there that you could take a look at and get some ideas.

I believe the HUD or FHA also has some kind of program where people can add funds to a house registry to help couples with buying a house.

Old littledumpling

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 45
littledumpling is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=116, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 03-23-04 , 06:10 PM

We didn't want china and traditional wedding gifts. We registered online with felicite.com. They let you register for cash gifts as well as anything you want online.

You can look at our registry to get a sense of what we listed.
http://www.felicite.com/guests/gift_list_giver2.cfm

To access felicite's home page, go to
http://www.felicite.com

They do charge cash gift givers a transaction fee.

Old kkoo

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
kkoo is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 04-23-04 , 08:06 PM

Actually, I'm pretty much in the same situation as you. Getting married in October 04 and not needing all the houseware gifts. Instead, goto www.thebigday.com and you can registry your honeymoon. Your guest would actually be giving you your honeymoon as a gift. They can purchase mileage, activities, meals, etc. Just navigate through this site and I'm sure you won't be disappointed. It's a way to get the money for you honeymoon without asking for cash directly. Hope everything works out. Good Luck.

Read Messages in: Gift Registries All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Gift registry questions by nicmc212
Up a Topic Safest setting for a diamond posted in JEWELRY by blueplatinum
Older:
Down a Topic wedding abroad etiquette by pete2037
Down a Topic Question on purple star sapphire posted in GEMSTONES by tigger23kids