Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

Re: Sapphire vs. Citrine
Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 02-29-08 , 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Precisiongem
gemstone shouldn't be purchased with the idea that it's an investment.

I didn't mean to suggest buying diamond or jewelry as an investment.

Yet, I dare say a parcel of nice red spinels in 2000, that would sure would have been a good investment.

But you always need sales channel and effort to resell anything.

As for the certs, well I dunno, I prefer having a cert on all my stones to be sure and prevent me from making any mistakes. With a few thousand stones in stock I feel better with a clear identification on every item.

A word for the smaller Asian labs, I had written somewhere else:

"There are many small labs doing a very integer and qualified job. I donít know any doing fakes, and I do know many.

In fact, I have been present when people were literally thrown out for trying to influence the outcome of a certificate (per bribe or threat).

In my experience some small and privately run labs are even more anxious to get it right than the big ones. They might not be able to do all high-tech tests but they will never claim anything they canít proof.

Giving out fake cert would kill any lab instantly, even in the Bangkok gem jungle. Everybody would soon know that certs from a certain lab are worthless and hence the stones not OK.

Sure the GIA does a great and throughout job but they need so long for every certificate and it is really too expensive for some gems.

And also, wasnít it the sooo reputable GIA in New York that had their gemologists arrested for fraud with diamonds?"

Old JewelrySecrets

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
JewelrySecrets is on a distinguished road

Sapphires are a great choice for a gemstone...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 02-29-08 , 12:55 AM

I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. If the Sapphire was under a couple hundred, I wouldn't advise getting it certified. But, if the stone is $400 and up, then I would make sure it comes with one. Good Sapphires, depending on the size, can be pretty pricey, but worth it. A certification comes in handy for your peace of mind. Sapphires are very durable and will pretty much last you a lifetime so that little bit of extra money spent is something you won't regret. Just stay away from the Sapphires that are so dark blue they almost look black. Those are low grade and cheap. Stick with a stunning blue and you'll love it forever!

Old Sarahgemstones

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Sarahgemstones is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 03-16-08 , 08:51 PM

Hi! I think you should be aware when shopping for this sapphire that most of them are heat treated. It is very standard and does not mean in anyway that it would be "less durable." What you want to be careful of when buying online are synthetics. These are man made and less valuable, though they are durable as well. Good luck finding the right stone.

Old EdwardBristol

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all EdwardBristol is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 03-17-08 , 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahgemstones
most of them are heat treated. It is very standard and does not mean in anyway that it would be "less durable." [/url]

Sarah,

Objection: All heated gemstone (not only sapphires but also diamond, tourmaline or spinel) are more brittle than natural unheated gems.

Over time, heated gems look worn and have less luster.

Since one buys sapphires thinking that they are most durable it is especially important to know that heated gems also chip easier during the setting in jewelry.

Old bita

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Karma
bita is a jewel in the rough bita is a jewel in the rough bita is a jewel in the rough bita is a jewel in the rough

I finally got my ring!!!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 03-18-08 , 06:30 PM

Check it out, I LOVE IT!!!

Attached Images
DSCF2894.JPG

Old bita

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
bita is a jewel in the rough bita is a jewel in the rough bita is a jewel in the rough bita is a jewel in the rough

Re: Sapphires are a great choice for a gemstone...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 03-18-08 , 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JewelrySecrets
I'm sure you'll be very happy with it. If the Sapphire was under a couple hundred, I wouldn't advise getting it certified. But, if the stone is $400 and up, then I would make sure it comes with one. Good Sapphires, depending on the size, can be pretty pricey, but worth it. A certification comes in handy for your peace of mind. Sapphires are very durable and will pretty much last you a lifetime so that little bit of extra money spent is something you won't regret. Just stay away from the Sapphires that are so dark blue they almost look black. Those are low grade and cheap. Stick with a stunning blue and you'll love it forever!

I totally agree with you. I finally purchased a 1.6ct blue sapphire. It was more money than what I initially planned but I lOVE IT!!!

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old bita

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 03-18-08 , 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyandSexy
Jan, I love all those sapphires!! Very, very pretty!!!

Bita, congrats on getting a sapphire!! Please post pics when it's set. We'd all love to see it I'm sure........I would!!

Amy

There you go and THANK YOU!!!

Attached Images
DSCF2894.JPG

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 472
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#33 @ 03-19-08 , 11:32 AM

It's jaw-droppingly gorgeous Bita!!! You must be over the moon!!! I love it.......and the setting too!

Thanks for sharing pics w/us!!

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic AJS Gems by redraider
Up a Topic Introducing posted in Greet New Members by puregoldenhoney
Older:
Down a Topic Cool blue by Michael_E
Down a Topic 1 21 Carat Princess Cut Platinum only 4 500 posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by puregoldenhoney