Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Tamar

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
Tamar is on a distinguished road

Kimberly,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 03-07-02 , 09:19 AM

Hello! Our rabbi explained that in ancient times, all that was required for a Jewish couple to be married was for the man to say a sentence in Hebrew and give the woman a piece of metal of known value. Rings were always traditional, but they had to be plain metal rings with no stones or engraving, because two appraisers might disagree as to the value of the stones or the workmanship. Though rings were traditional, a piece of currency could also be used.

This lead to an interesting story in history. Before Israel became a state in 1948, it was called Palestine and was controlled by Britain. The Biritsh army was trying to deport single Jewish women. Married women could stay. Men who saw this happening would run up to the women, say the sentence that married them and give them a penny. Thus, by Jewish law, they were married and the woman could not be deported. The next day, they could gt a religious divorce from a rabbi. Apparently there were men who had records with dozens of these divorces.

Our rabbi is more traditional than a lot of modern rabbis, and most of my Jewish friends have diamond bands or bands with Hebrew engravings, but we opted to follow the older custom for our wedding and we both have plain platinum bands. If I do ever upgrade the band, I will wear my platinum one on my right hand (which is also an old Jewish custom that has been largely discarded in Western countries).

Sorry for the novel!

Old warmuster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
warmuster is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 03-07-02 , 11:41 AM

Abunnybabe,
your ring is so lovely, that was another style I was considering, I tried on a CZ version and it did complement my ring nicely.
Regardless of the style, should I bite the bullet and pay for a designer brand like dvatche etc? A friend refered me to a friends husband who is a jewler in the NYC diamond district who has done good work for her collegues BUT I am nervous, we have about 3k to spend on the ring and I think its enough to get a nice designer ring (or almost enough) I am owrried about the quality of bead set or pave set stones..... any advice?????

Old sopapia

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
sopapia is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 03-07-02 , 01:13 PM

hi warmuster,

i have a dvatche pave wedding band and i love it. i didn't want to get the pave eternity band b/c i'm afraid i'll bang it up. i'm not sure if you want this style. i bought this style for its notch so my e-ring can sit next to it perfectly. but i'm sure there are rings without the notch. the ring doesn't cost 3k either even tho it's from dvatche.

sopapia signature
Sopapia
Old warmuster

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
warmuster is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 03-07-02 , 01:19 PM

Soappia
I LOVE YOUR RINGS!!!!!! They look so elegant and beautiful together. That is the look I always daydream about. I Don't mind about having a notch or not and I would prob want 3 rings instead of 2 but its such a great look.
Thanks for the pricing info, My FI said 3k was my budget When I got the referral I was excited to save cash BUT I really don't know this guy and since we got a free dia center stone why not splurge and go designer!
your ring would certainly look nice on its own, would you mind my asking the carat weight>

Old abunnybabe

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
abunnybabe has a spectacular aura about abunnybabe has a spectacular aura about abunnybabe has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 03-07-02 , 09:31 PM

Warmuster.....
Here are my rings together. The knife edge E-ring sits flush against the wedding ring. Email me if you want details on the ring.

Old abunnybabe

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
abunnybabe has a spectacular aura about abunnybabe has a spectacular aura about abunnybabe has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 03-07-02 , 09:36 PM

Here is another view....

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old abunnybabe

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 03-07-02 , 09:50 PM

Last one....from my wedding album....

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Different Idea for engagement ring by snowrs
Up a Topic Different Idea for engagement ring posted in DIAMONDS by snowrs
Older:
Down a Topic ideals and HA in same ring by addicted
Down a Topic ideals and HA in same ring posted in DIAMONDS by addicted