Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Johnny Boy

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
Johnny Boy is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 10-02-01 , 03:19 AM

Quote:
Pink eye is a contagious, usually childhood, affliction that causes the white part of the eyes to turn almost completely pink, and a discharge from the tear ducts.

Ahh... you mean conjunctivitis no?

Old emil

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 80
emil is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 10-02-01 , 07:15 AM

Unless I missed something up there, Rhino was the only one to guess correctly. Congrats to you!

Does he get a prize?

Thanks for posting it Brad, it IS an interesting stone.

Rank Amateur comments that it also scored high on the HCA. I'm trying to figure out the relationship between Brilliancescope ratings and HCA ratings, can anyone enlighten me? Is this covered in more depth on another thread? If so, would someone please direct me?

I have tracked down Brilliancescope ratings on several stones that scored extremely well on the HCA, and they are comparable, but I would like more data. I did read a thread that had some criticisms of the Brilliancescope that left me more puzzled than ever. Are high marks on the HCA *always*, or just *sometimes* an indicator of equally high scores on the Brilliancescope, and vice versa? Do stones ever rate significantly better on one system that the other?

I just did an interesting test, but I don't have enough info to make an accurate conclusion. I went to Pricescope and found 4 Superbcerts that all scored between 0.4 and 0.6 on the HCA. I then checked the Brilliancescope ratings, and ALL of them scored extremely high there too. Interestingly, the two that scored 0.5 from HCA got identical marks from the Brilliancescope and were higher ratings than the 0.4 and the 0.6 got, which were very close to each other but slightly less high than the 0.5s. Then I saw an 0.4 and a 0.7 that scored as well as the 0.5s had, so there's clearly a bit of variation. I haven't seen ANY Superbcerts that scored higher than 0.9, so clearly Barry cuts in a VERY tight range. Some of the ACAs score just as well as the Superbcerts on the HCA, but many of them are in the 1.2 - 1.7 range. Does this mean they perform slightly less well on the Brilliancescope? I don't know, because I haven't found any Brilliancescope ratings for the ACAs. I heard that Lesley got a Brilliancescope, so maybe I'll have the opportunity to fully examine whether the difference of one point on the HCA ( say, 0.4 - 1.4) makes a consistent difference to Brilliancescope scores.

Additionally, can I, (the keen-eyed fanatic) or someone like me even detect with my naked eye the difference between a stone that scores in the low end of the "Very High" range and one that scores in the middle, or high end? Can I appreciate the quality difference between a diamond that scores a 0.4 vs one that scores a 1.7? Can trained appraisers and jewelers see the difference in visual performance within the range of the top scorers?

I've been chewing this over for the last few days.

Rank Amateur - WHY were you hoping it was a Superbcert ???

I was hoping it was pink eye, and that I would catch it next ...

Old Sibelius

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Sibelius is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=247, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 10-02-01 , 08:00 AM

Brads stone in red.

The chart:MSU http://www.gemology.ru

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

Jonathan's "Guess" Was Impressive!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 10-02-01 , 08:14 AM

Jonathan-

Did you use any instruments to measure the photo or did you guess as you did using only your eye? Either way, I am impressed!

AGBF

PS-Yes, Johnny Boy. "Pink Eye" is a colloquial term for conjunctivitis .

Old Brad

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 262
Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute Brad has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=8841, In=2
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 10-04-01 , 11:56 PM

Thanks Sibelius Looks like a vacation spot off the coast of Puerto Rico.

Brad

Brad signature
DBOF.com

We sell diamonds not paper
Old Sibelius

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Sibelius is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=247, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 10-05-01 , 02:29 AM