Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Karin

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Karin is on a distinguished road

Non-treated Morganite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 02-10-10 , 04:23 PM

Some time in the future I must own a morganite ring but I am bit of a purist and I would not like the stone to be dyed or radiated. Does such a thing as a untreated morganite with a pink hue even exist?

Love
Karin

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Ragemanchoo

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Great big YG lion ring.

My Karma
Power: 93
Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future Ragemanchoo has a brilliant future
Hits: Out=687, In=0

Re: Non-treated Morganite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 02-15-10 , 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karin
Some time in the future I must own a morganite ring but I am bit of a purist and I would not like the stone to be dyed or radiated. Does such a thing as a untreated morganite with a pink hue even exist?

Love
Karin

As I recall, it typically is heat treated to remove orange hue.

Thanks,
Ryan Thompson

Old uniquesapphires

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 47
uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of uniquesapphires has much to be proud of

Re: Non-treated Morganite
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-06-10 , 06:51 PM

Yes they do exist from strong purplish red to slight purplish red and these are considered pink. You cannot tell even from the rough crystal before it is cut wether heat treatment has taken place.
The removal of orange from the color is a typical result of heat treatment. there is no change to the structure of the gem as this is typically done at a very low temperature I have done this myself to see the before and after. It is unusual in the sense that the crystal is formed at very high temperatures and yet only a low temperature is required to remove the orange hence one could wonder does the orange form over many years like hundreds perhaps. Many gems on the market are heat treated, practically all today including diamonds they are heated to remove the brown hue and host diamonds improve but here we are talking very high temperatures. I have a Morganite that so far as I can tell has never been treated in any form what so ever. I think this is the best cut morganite for a round that I have ever seen amongst many collections. I could have had a bigger stone cuting more comercially or even an oval but it lent itself to a brilliant fiery cut being so subtle but definetely Pink.

Attached Images
MOR2-001.jpg

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Considering Morganite for a Ring by capstone
Up a Topic 14k WG Diamond Ring Mount posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by evilmailjeep
Older:
Down a Topic Looking for a 3 stone pink sapphire ring for my gf for her bday by jumpman23j
Down a Topic Would like opinions please posted in DIAMONDS by Bonita