Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old irish

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=240, In=1

Re: Gemstones for engagement ring?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#101 @ 01-26-08 , 06:49 PM

Hi cynthia... maybe this will help.
Make sure its a jpg file (system likes those files best )
Make sure you're downsizing from 100% and double check that the resizing is saved.
It's the Width you set at 700--the Height will readjust automatically to that.
That should work.
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old cynthia1087

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#102 @ 01-26-08 , 07:12 PM

My apologies for the very poor photography skills - the photo is a bit fuzzy & lighter than it should be - shows the rubies pinker than they are and the black diamonds not quite black... For a better idea, the ring box is a light-medium gray.

Irish - Thanks for the photo upload advice!

Attached Images
P1010039_pic2Z.JPG

Old CEO

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#103 @ 02-18-08 , 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonstruck
What do you guys think about a band? I am considering skipping a wedding band altogether as I think the ring looks great on its own. Due to the shape of the ring it makes it difficult to put a band with it. But what a nice problem to have right?

OMG I'm so mad at you! (jk )
That is like my dream engagement ring (like seriously, I'm looking at it right on another screen now!)
I'm also considering the same "problem". I would really like to set it with a band too. They make bands to fit different shapes don't they?

Old CEO

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough CEO is a jewel in the rough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#104 @ 02-18-08 , 11:48 AM

Princess Di didn't mind the gap

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
Power: 472
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#105 @ 02-20-08 , 11:35 AM

Hi Cynthia & welcome!!! I love your ER!! That is so cool looking, and very unique!! I love the red & black colors together too! I bet people ask about it all the time!

Thanks for taking the time to post a pic!

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
The average dog is a nicer person than the average person.
~Andy Rooney
Old cynthia1087

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all cynthia1087 is a name known to all

Quote this post and reply to it Post#106 @ 02-20-08 , 12:02 PM

Amy,

Thank you so much for warm welcome and comments about my ring! It does draw alot of attention and I've had no negative responses about it. The center black diamond was the first gemstone I collected - the first of many - and it was always meant to be set in a ring for me.

It was about a year and a half journey gathering all of the stones, finding the right setting, having the ring special cast in 18kt WG, and setting the stones.

I actually thought late in the process that I had made a mistake in my choice of stones and I was going to end up with a really ugly ring. But, when I opened the box, it took my breathe away!

I always tell people that they should make a piece of jewelry uniquely their own and they don't have to settle for what they are told to buy by the jewelry industry!! It's my obsession with heirloom type jewelry that makes me feel this way!

Anyway, thanks again for your most-welcomed comments!!
Cynthia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyandSexy
Hi Cynthia & welcome!!! I love your ER!! That is so cool looking, and very unique!! I love the red & black colors together too! I bet people ask about it all the time!

Thanks for taking the time to post a pic!

Amy

Old catherleen

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
catherleen is infamous around these parts catherleen is infamous around these parts

Quote this post and reply to it Post#107 @ 04-15-08 , 08:48 AM

Using other gemstones on engagement rings is being a trend these days and I personally don't find that a problem. It is indeed true that you get more variety in gemstone engagement rings than diamond rings. But I don't know how many of us would want to change our mindset of 'it's my engagment ring! How can it not be diamond?' And a lot of us symbolise diamonds to that unbreakable bond which we promise at engagements. What do you think? You think people have started thinking out of this shell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itbit
I can see it being an option...and we had gone that route, also. My future husband-to be was a student, and at that time, I didn't like diamonds, so we chose a $325 garnet ring. Then, later I inherited my grandmother's diamond ring, and I started to appreciate diamonds which I had previously had thought were "white, boring and expensive."
Now, I wear a diamond ring on each hand, and much appreciate their beauty.
Also, some people prefer just a simple gold ring on the left hand; no diamonds.
Colored gemstones are beautiful too, so if someone wants a tourmaline instead of a diamond, it's OK in my book.
But, I like the durability of diamonds, and a diamond E-ring has a much higher chance of being passed on to future generations undamaged than a ring with another type of gemstone, especially one below sapphire on the Moh's scale.

Old Moonstruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold

Gemstones for engagement ring-the real story
Quote this post and reply to it Post#108 @ 04-23-08 , 11:54 AM

Hi All, I posted back in January that I had gotten my blue sapphire ER right before Christmas. It was a big step for me to go gemstone vs diamond so I have given this a lot of thought and wanted to share what my experience has been the last few months of wearing it. I also had a post about whether or not I should get a wedding band, and I picked it up today and wanted to share pics with you since you all were so nice to offer advice. So why a sapphire? We live in Thailand, one of the gemstone capitals of the world, a perfect place to get a sapphire. I also took the AIGS course (Asian equivalent of the GIA) during my time here, so I felt I did have some knowledge on what to look for and price etc. Also, the romantic side: we love sailing and the ocean is many shades of blue, my fiancee's eyes are a deep blue...okay I will stop. I love my ring and what it symbolizes is really special. I am very happy with my choice, however, there are some things I would let you know in case you are trying to decide between gemstone and diamond - ahh the pragmatic side of things.

I have a lovely collection of fun (not fine jewelry but fun) gemstone rings. So depending on my mood and outfit I would coordinate the ring. Now I find that my beautiful sapphire out shines every ring I have and the color is so great on its own, that my other rings simply don't go with it. The other day I wore this great amethyst with periodot ring and it just clashed. I need to get over this, but I do find I wear my other jewelry much less often. Not sure if this would happen with a diamond.

Before we moved to Thailand I had an office job and got dressed up for work everyday. Here my lifestyle is much more casual, I am not officially working and I rarely dress up. We are also much more active in the great outdoors. My ring is simply too dressy for my current lifestyle and because of this, I don't wear it 24/7.

Along the same lines, about 10 yrs ago when I was working, I splurged and bought myself a nice sporty two-toned yellow gold plate and stainless steel watch with a round face. I never took it off - it went swimming, sailing, biking etc. - I didn't worry about it. Well, it simply doesn't go with my elegant white gold square cut ER ring, so I have stopped wearing my watch and bought a stainless steel tank watch which goes better with my ring. But it isn't one I can really wear in the water. So my ring had the added expense of a new watch and one that I can't wear all the time. My fiancee was not amused-but really guys just can't really understand accessorizing can they?

When we bought my lagoon blue ER, I didn't even think of the wedding band-because the dreamy eye effect had taken hold and nothing practical was even crossing my mind. The emerald cut with halo made it difficult to put a band with it. In the last 4 months I have tried on countless rings and many jewelers have offered to design a wedding band. Then two days ago I stumbled across this band-it was perfect. When it fits snug it looks good, but my favorite is when the rings separate they look so pretty...sigh...(going into trance again...). Then again, I feel like I can't wear this combination all the time as it too flash and would be out of place in some situations here in Bangkok.

So there you go, there are the pragmatic things to consider when you are shopping for your ring. That being said, maybe the ideal ring for my lifestyle and accesorizing options would have been a nice sturdy diamond in a low bezel setting in a gold two-toned brushed band. But then, would it have had the same dreamy effect as my precious blue sapphire?........

(Oh by the way, I did have the very ring I described above made in gold with a CZ that I will wear when I don't want to wear the more fragile, dressy dreamy blue sapphire. Don't tell my fiancee.....)

Attached Images
rings sep (288 x 199).jpg rings snug (309 x 223).jpg

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma
FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute FoxyandSexy has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#109 @ 04-23-08 , 02:12 PM

Wow, what an insightful & helpful post Moonstruck......positive Karma for ya.

I originally voted no wedding band with your sapphire ring......but they look beautiful together!!!

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
~Andy Rooney
Old maven

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 2.01 ct Round brilliant diamond

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
Power: 362
maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute maven has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=266, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#110 @ 04-25-08 , 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyandSexy
Wow, what an insightful & helpful post Moonstruck......positive Karma for ya.

I originally voted no wedding band with your sapphire ring......but they look beautiful together!!!

Amy

way cool looking ring!!!

maven signature
Don't ask for my opinion unless you really want to hear it~ Maven
Old MINESPESS

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Soccer Boots

My Karma
Power: 53
MINESPESS is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#111 @ 04-29-08 , 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catherleen
Using other gemstones on engagement rings is being a trend these days and I personally don't find that a problem. It is indeed true that you get more variety in gemstone engagement rings than diamond rings. But I don't know how many of us would want to change our mindset of 'it's my engagment ring! How can it not be diamond?' And a lot of us symbolise diamonds to that unbreakable bond which we promise at engagements. What do you think? You think people have started thinking out of this shell?

That is interesting. Actually, I think that using a diamond is more of a trend. Diamonds were only used recently in engagement rings. Colored Gemstones were the original engagement ring choice. But, I do not see a problem with wearing a diamond trend. I think that DeBeers started the "unbreakable" bond of diamonds as engagements. But I know that people were struck by it. It is too bad that diamonds are so common. But I am happy to see that people are starting to go back to the original idea.

MINESPESS signature
Do You Dream in Black and White? Or COLOR?
Old MINESPESS

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Soccer Boots

My Karma
Power: 53
MINESPESS is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#112 @ 04-29-08 , 08:34 PM

BTW: BEAUTIFUL SAPPHIRE AND I LOVE LOVE the "out of the box" Black Diamond and Rubies" idea!!

KoodoZ!!!

Fabulous!

MINESPESS signature
Do You Dream in Black and White? Or COLOR?
Old mira

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: ruby diamond bypass ring by m.e.

My Feedback (7)
Feedback In: 
+7  0
Feedback Out:
+5  0

My Classifieds
Jewelry: 2

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 121
mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute mira has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#113 @ 04-30-08 , 08:18 AM

Wow moonstruck! I just had to take a second to compliment you on that dreamy sapphire - just beautiful!

Old Futuremrss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Futuremrss is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#114 @ 05-11-08 , 01:08 AM

I love the idea as a colored gemstone for an ER. I do not mind the gaps either. If it was good enough for Diana...it is good enough for me. Supposedly, when they got engaged, she was presented with a tray of rings and she picked that one. MS your sapphire is to die for. I love the pink ones as well.

Old tiptopgem

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: demantoid garnet

My Karma
Power: 49
tiptopgem is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#115 @ 05-18-08 , 09:58 AM

I happen to be very fond of the idea of colored stones for engagement rings, and I know that they are getting more popular if my business is any reliable barometer. I have had many requests lately for pink and blue sapphires for that very purpose. I have also had some requests for ruby that would be used as an engagement ring.

Of these stones, the most popular is pink sapphire and it seems to be used most often among retailers that I deal with in Singapore. But Ireland and Sweden are in love with gemstones as well and perhaps the end purpose is not always revealed by my customers.

Judging by the women with whom I have spoken about their colored stone engagement ring, I would say that they tend to have very strong self-esteem and are in touch with what they want. They are women with an opinion and not the "me too" kind of woman. Also, some of their budgets are very large and surely they could have saved money by buying a diamond over a carat with very high clarity and color.

There is also some talk in the trade of the coming boom in China's colored stone business. Whether that materializes I don't know and I don't see it but I do very little business with them. I was not surprised to see European women buying color, but Singapore? That surprised me. There is always more to learn in this business.

David Fortier, GG
Staff Gemologist

Last edited by tiptopgem : 05-18-08 at 10:00 AM.
Old tokmik

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
tokmik is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#116 @ 01-15-09 , 12:23 AM

Absolutely love it. It definitely looks like an engagement ring too. No one will doubt that. I think gemstone rings are gorgeous. And it's actually more traditional. Women used to wear the heirloom piece--whatever that was. Ruby, yellow diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, most the stones were based on the color since it needed to match the man's family colors.

However I know from experience a ring like that will not match up with a wedding band. It took me forever to find mine (chevron style) and mine is only 1.5 carat. You will have to get a wedding band custom made to go with that ring. No big deal though. Most jewelers can do it and it's not that expensive.

Old Moonstruck

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold Moonstruck is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#117 @ 01-15-09 , 02:10 AM

[QUOTE=tokmik]Absolutely love it. It definitely looks like an engagement ring too. No one will doubt that. I think gemstone rings are gorgeous. And it's actually more traditional. Women used to wear the heirloom piece--whatever that was. Ruby, yellow diamond, Sapphire, Emerald, most the stones were based on the color since it needed to match the man's family colors.

However I know from experience a ring like that will not match up with a wedding band. It took me forever to find mine (chevron style) and mine is only 1.5 carat. You will have to get a wedding band custom made to go with that ring. No big deal though. Most jewelers can do it and it's not that expensive.

Hi All, it has been a while and married life is great. I meant to update my post here but never got around to it, but in the end I got a different wedding band than the one pictured above a few posts (about a week before the wedding I did the switch). And interesting enough my wedding band is also a Chevron shape, which works much better than the straight across eternity band with the emerald cut halo ring. The wedding photographer took the requisite ring shots, but boy we could of both used some hand cream that day! : ) We sure couldn't make a living as hand models yikes! But hopefully the picture will give you some ideas if you happen to be ring shopping.

Attached Images
ring load.jpg

Old FoxyandSexy

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (11)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+11  0

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#118 @ 01-15-09 , 10:37 AM

STUNNING rings Moonstruck! I love your Chevron wedding band!! I agree---that does look a lot nicer & flows better than the straight diamond band.

Amy

FoxyandSexy signature
~Andy Rooney
Old starsapphire215

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
starsapphire215 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#119 @ 09-16-10 , 03:11 PM

I used to have a diamond engagement ring... it was nice... but thats pretty much all the feelings i had towards it. I have never been one to do anything or have anything traditional, he gave me a nearly flawless 3/4 ct solitaire diamond ring in white gold... so when my then fiance gave me that ring I was a little bummed. I know it sounds like I am spoiled but I just wanted something different. The gods must have heard my sigh when i saw the ring because what happened next HAD to be an act of god.... I BROKE MY DIAMOND. ( no, not on purpose either... although the thought did cross my mind). I was working in a furniture store at the time and was constantly lifting heavy things and working on trucks. One morning, 6 am might I add, my co-workers and I were unloading a truck and I forgot to take my ring off. I managed to snag one of the six prongs on the ring, I didn't even realize it . I should have taken it to a jeweler the moment it happened but like I said I didn't even realize it. With the prong out of the way the jeweler thinks that I managed to CRACK the diamond from the INSIDE and not break the surface by probably hitting my hand on something hard like metal ... that happened alot. Thank goodness we had the ring insured ($3,000 total value). We took the ring to the insured jeweler to get a statement and trade the ring in. There I was again getting a another diamond .... boooore... I told my husband that if I was getting another ring we BOTH had to decide on it and it definitely was not going to be just another round lonely diamond . We walk out of the jewelry store and about a yard away I see an antique store. I am a sucker for antiques, Quinn (my husband) not so much. I persuade him in going into the store, we go in and I ask the owner if he had any engagement rings. He pulled out all his diamonds. I then asked if he had any gemstone engagement rings , specifically sapphires. He pulled out some of the most beautiful sapphires I have ever seen then I spotted a gray stone. I didn't recognize this stone AT ALL. He said it was a gray star sapphire. He put it on my finger and told me to walk to the window and put the ring towards the light... I FELL IN LOVE!! The ring itself is about 150-200 years old. It has two baby diamonds of great quality on each side and is set in white gold. long story short we bought the ring !!!
it was $300 !!! Thats a long ways away from $3000, i used the rest of the money to pay off debt and shower him in a few gifts ... its the gift that keeps on giving.
I LOVE THIS RING. Quinn insists on getting me another engagement ring of higher value but I could care less of the price. (BUT I DID TELL HIM IF HE DID IT BETTER BE A SAPPHIRE WITH DIAMONDS ON THE SIDE INSTEAD OF THE MIDDLE )
Ever since I've had this ring I have had the best of luck in my marriage and everyday life. I constantly find myself playing with the star when the light hits it. I highly recommend getting a ring that YOU like and not a ring that EVERYONE else likes. I mean your the one who has to wear it in the end anyways !

Here are pics-- >

my favorite

It kind of resembles a moonstone which happens to be my birthstone.

sorry that the pictures are gigantic , it was a mission just to figure out how to put them up.

Old soxfan

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
soxfan is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#120 @ 11-26-10 , 09:57 PM

wow. a star sapphire. that's awesome!!!!!!

Old shireeodiz

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
shireeodiz will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#121 @ 12-18-10 , 11:38 AM

Black diamonds are also hitting the alternative mainstream as an alternative for traditional white diamonds.. also usually flanked or accented with regular diamonds. The contrast between the two brings the best out of both of them.

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic engagement ring by Live4it
Up a Topic Taihitian Pearl Bracelet at Bluenile posted in JEWELRY by ELT
Older:
Down a Topic Prices cuprian elbaite by myvideotalk
Down a Topic hello everyone posted in Greet New Members by galaxy