Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old kbank

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 81
kbank is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=38, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#101 @ 04-08-03 , 04:22 PM

Ladyluck-

I believe what I'm talking about and what you are talking about are two completely different things. I didn't say that layering pearls was tasteless. But, why would you care what "I" thought anyway? If you like it, go for it!

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I don't think it is very tasteful to throw on every piece of jewelry that you own at once even though it may clash miserably, just to show people that you own it. Would you put 3 gold necklaces, a pearl necklace, your emerald ring, your diamond ring, your blue topaz ring, your ruby ring, your sapphire bracelet, your bangle, your citrine bracelet, etc....ad nauseum... all at once?

This is the look I was referring to. It is (in my opinion) a little tacky. As you said, to each their own. Well, that is my own opinion, so don't I don't think I need to be flamed for having one. I've carefully re-read my post and I never mentioned class, or insulted anyone. There is really no reason to be defensive.

kbank signature
"It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got."
-Sheryl Crow
Old sistagrl2004

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (6)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+6  0

My Karma
Power: 77
sistagrl2004 is a splendid one to behold sistagrl2004 is a splendid one to behold sistagrl2004 is a splendid one to behold sistagrl2004 is a splendid one to behold sistagrl2004 is a splendid one to behold sistagrl2004 is a splendid one to behold sistagrl2004 is a splendid one to behold

BIG OLE ROCK
Quote this post and reply to it Post#102 @ 04-08-03 , 05:06 PM

I dont' think there's such thing as "too big" when it it comes to diamonds on MY hand.. I have long fingers and a size 8 ring , and would LOVE a 10 carat honker.. It would have to be pried off my COLD DEAD HAND and even then I would probably die with my finger curled! Jewelry is DEFINATELY a preference, and it is all about the attitude.. I personally have the attitude, but not the financess for a BIG A** Diamond!

Old Seagulls

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 77
Seagulls is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#103 @ 04-08-03 , 06:43 PM

Some people wear a lot of jewelry, not because they want to SHOW people that they have a lot of jewelry. But because they can't make up their mind about which piece of jewelry to leave at home. I don't wear that much jewelry. But when I have a few NEW FAVORITES at once, I find it difficult to decide which to wear and which to put back in the jewelry box. So I may wear them all at once for a few days.

Seagulls

Old ladyluck

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Karma
Power: 101
ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute ladyluck has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#104 @ 04-08-03 , 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kbank
Ladyluck-

I believe what I'm talking about and what you are talking about are two completely different things. I didn't say that layering pearls was tasteless. But, why would you care what "I" thought anyway? If you like it, go for it!

Perhaps I should have been more clear. I don't think it is very tasteful to throw on every piece of jewelry that you own at once even though it may clash miserably, just to show people that you own it. Would you put 3 gold necklaces, a pearl necklace, your emerald ring, your diamond ring, your blue topaz ring, your ruby ring, your sapphire bracelet, your bangle, your citrine bracelet, etc....ad nauseum... all at once?

This is the look I was referring to. It is (in my opinion) a little tacky. As you said, to each their own. Well, that is my own opinion, so don't I don't think I need to be flamed for having one. I've carefully re-read my post and I never mentioned class, or insulted anyone. There is really no reason to be defensive.

I wasn't feeling offened in any way by your post so I was not trying to come off defensive. Many apologies if you took it that way and felt as if I was flaming you. I don't believe tacky was the word you used either. I believe poor taste is what you said.

As far as responding to your post and whether or not 'I care what you think' you are absolutely correct. I really don't. However, by partaking in a public forum
you are opening yourself up to opinions otherly than your own and although my opinion does not differ from yours I was merely suggesting another viewpoint or way to look at jewelry style. Again, it may not be the jewelry, it may be the look of the wearer that turns people off.

On another note, I know a lady who wears a ring on every single finger. I once asked her why she wears so many rings. Her response was that her son bought her one ring for each holiday out of the year over a period of a few years. He knew she loved jewelry and being a single mom he wanted to give her what other mothers had. She also told me that she disliked how they looked when she wore them all together but in the morning she could never decide which one to wear so she wore them all. So, here is an eg., of a person who wears jewelry solely because of the meaning she derives from it.

This is similar to what Seagulls said and something to consider as well

Last edited by ladyluck : 04-08-03 at 07:55 PM.
Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 95
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#105 @ 04-08-03 , 08:38 PM

In my opinion, class is largely determined by how one behaves, NOT what one wears.

One can appear classy, and not have class at all, and vice-versa.

Of course, the ideal situation is to appear classy AND behave classy. Again, the latter is largely the determinant, not the former.

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Last edited by empresseva : 04-08-03 at 08:39 PM.
Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 86
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#106 @ 04-11-03 , 05:34 AM

I find it sad that beautiful jewellery can't be just worn, enjoyed and appreciated for being beautiful. Instead, it seems, you always have to consider what other people are going to infer about you based on its cost. Once you go down that road, the joy in possessing anything lovely, that also happens to be expensive, is going to be tainted.

Just as I refuse to be brainwashed (by DeBeers or anyone else) into thinking that only real diamonds are worth having and consequently own and love many sims, I refuse to be apologetic about my more expensive pieces - whether they contain diamonds, rubies or other precious stones.

I'll go on buying what I like, when I can afford it, and let the rest of the world worry themselves senseless about it. If someone is really going to judge me solely on what jewellery I have, clothes I wear or car I drive, then I don't honestly care what their opinion is.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old carattop

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
carattop is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#107 @ 04-21-03 , 10:18 PM

I've read this thread more than a couple of times (and I'm glad I did). It really gives me a broad perspective of many perceptions and thoughts related to diamonds, fashion, taste, etc.

Thanks everyone for sharing your candid opinions and insight!

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Is Hearts and Arrows a trademark by Sibelius
Up a Topic Newbie needs help posted in Greet New Members by sugarnsquirt
Older:
Down a Topic Girdle Laser Engraving Question by rbjd
Down a Topic Etiquette I don t want to register BUT posted in Gift Registries by whitemist