Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old VanGraff

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 101
VanGraff is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=17694, In=5866
Referrals: 35

Quote this post and reply to it Post#101 @ 06-10-02 , 11:26 PM

Quote:
oldsalt :
Firstly let me say that my opinion of branded versus unbranded diamonds does not carry over into the world of simulants where your product stands head and shoulders above its generic alternatives.

However, I believe there is certainly more work involved for a dealer to locate a fine unbranded stone for his customer, than to go to a brand search engine and pull out a stone of a particular carat weight, color and clarity

From what I have read here, many of the dealers on this site would rather use their own expertise to provide this service to their clients to ensure that they recieve the best value, and diamond for their money.

In my opinion, the best protection resides not in the brand name of a diamond (case in point, Bellataire, Pegasus, etc.), but in the knowledge and integrity of the dealer.

I don't think expert dealers, who have spent years building the reputation of their businesses and honing their knowledge, are really happy to see their profession become secondary to search engine buying.

A few of them have even opined that on this forum.

[Edited by oldsalt on 06-10-02 at 10:36 PM]

Well I have to disagree with you in part, first I came from a jewelers family with all my life in the diamonds business and not in the simulants business and I know a little bit about diamonds, my opinion here is as jeweler that deals with diamonds and not as simulants of course.

Now about your statement

"I don't think expert dealers, who have spent years building the reputation of their businesses and honing their knowledge, are really happy to see their profession become secondary to search engine buying.

I agree that you can buy an unbranded stone for less and all we in the trade is what we are looking for for I don't find any wrong if any did all the work and publish all the info on a search engine, what is wrong whit that?

Or you think that only a B&M dealer that shows you "life" with a gemological microscope, proportion scope, weight, etc, etc. is the only way that can offer you an honest deal?

If you want to buy an unbranded stone or a collection of stones good for you!, and glad that you has saved a lot of money but you can't charge against the people that don't have your expertise and buy a branded diamond, let them do with their money the correct for them, it's their money not yours, they knows that they are paying a premium but also they know that this premium will be far less than a costly mistake in a bad deal.

VanGraff signature
Sincerely

Juan Manuel
Old DRRiley

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
DRRiley is on a distinguished road

Apples-to-Apples (or as near as it gets)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#102 @ 07-29-02 , 04:10 PM

I wanted to see how SuperbCert's new prices compared with comparable unbranded diamonds and thought that rather than start a new thread, I'd just post an update to this one.

I chose Nice Ice for this comparison for a few reasons. First, they are known to sell high quality unbranded stones. Second, they provide a good amount of information on each diamond they sell. And finally (and most importantly), they don't post here and so won't feel compelled to respond to any fallout that may come as a result of my posting this.

Looking through the entire SuperbCert and Nice Ice inventories today, the following "exact matches" were found. Hoping to further the case for this being an apples-to-apples comparison, I have included Holloway Cut Advisor scores for each diamond.

Case 1

1.03 F VS2 Nice Ice (Nice Ice's best price: $6,660.00)
  • Light Return: Excellent
    Fire: Excellent
    Scintillation: Excellent
    Spread or diameter for weight: Very Good

Total Visual Performance: 0.8 - Excellent - within TIC range

1.03 F VS2 SuperbCert (SuperbCert's price: $7,591.00)

Total Visual Performance: 0.7 - Excellent - within TIC range

Price difference: $931.00 (SuperbCert is about 14% more expensive than Nice Ice)

Case 2

1.09 F VS2 Nice Ice (Nice Ice's best price: $7,135.00)

Total Visual Performance: 1.1 - Excellent - within TIC range

1.09 F VS2 SuperbCert (SuperbCert's price: $8,201.00)

Total Visual Performance: 1.1 - Excellent - within TIC range

(The HCA score linked to this diamond uses numbers that do not match those listed on its SuperbCert page.)

Price difference: $1,066.00 (SuperbCert is about 15% more expensive than Nice Ice)

Conclusion

I believe it is possible to realize a significant savings over even the more affordable brands (such as A Cut Above and SuperbCert) by seeking out comparably performing unbranded diamonds.

[Edited by D R Riley on 07-29-02 at 04:14 PM]

Old MadAsHell

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
MadAsHell is on a distinguished road

Re: Apples-to-Apples (or as near as it gets)
Quote this post and reply to it Post#103 @ 07-29-02 , 04:43 PM

Quote:
D R Riley :

I wanted to see how SuperbCert's new prices compared with comparable unbranded diamonds and thought that rather than start a new thread, I'd just post an update to this one.

I won't say I didn't read this, D.R., but I think I had better take Harry's advice and stay out of the kitchen. In fact I think it would be cooler for me to wait for Ladyluck to come back so that we can debate religion .

AGBF

Old BattleAxe

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
BattleAxe is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=54, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#104 @ 07-29-02 , 04:55 PM

d r riley;

Since you are comparing,
" apples to apples."

In the spirit of being fair.
Shouldn't you include a few more
apples to your comparison?

Or is this just another attack
against SuperbCert.

Kirk

Old Caratz

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Caratz is on a distinguished road

Kirk
Quote this post and reply to it Post#105 @ 07-29-02 , 05:52 PM

I am curious to know the results too, but I suggest that you should do the homework for any further comparison.

DR Riley only posted 2 results, but I suspect that is because the criteria were so strict: Same exact carat weight, color, clarity, Bscope results, etc.

To tell you the truth, I think it is remarkable that DR Riley found two exact matches.

I will be impressed if you can find any others! Good luck!

Old BattleAxe

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
BattleAxe is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=54, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#106 @ 07-29-02 , 06:20 PM

Caratz;

Personally, I would prefer
that d r riley, do my taxes
one day...

I have a feeling that most people
have a good idea about the pricing,
among the brand names.

Which begs the question,
why not compare prices with the
other high end diamond brands?

No exceptions!

As you know all SuperbCert and Nice Ice
prices are clearly advertised...
And thats no secret!

What some of us would like to see is,
a price comparison between all these brand name companies.
Especially the ones whom do not
advertise their prices online.

Kirk

Old sparklythings

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 70
sparklythings is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#107 @ 07-29-02 , 09:56 PM

Hearts on Fire and Ekati diamonds are more expensive than SuperbCerts from my research - and no more beautiful.
There's definitely a wide range of pricing amongst the branded stones.

Old empresseva

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 95
empresseva is on a distinguished road

Oh My
Quote this post and reply to it Post#108 @ 07-30-02 , 04:10 PM

Sorry, I'm popping in late here.

DT had a face-lift. Wow.

Frankly, I don't understand why people are hopping mad. So what if there's a SuperbCert club? I highly doubt it's a marketing ploy. Besides, I think there's nothing wrong with SuperbCert consumers, who love their diamonds, banding together. More power to ya.

As some of you may know, my wedding set is from Tiffany's. Tiffany gets a lot more bashing around here, but I don't mind. People are entitled to their wrong opinions; I take no offense. ^_^ ^_~

empresseva signature
We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.
-Teilhard de Chardin
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Why are things so Quiet on Diamondtalk just now by jean
Up a Topic Why are things so Quiet on Diamondtalk just now posted in DIAMONDS by jean
Older:
Down a Topic Advice for diamond after breakup and new relationship by TheOne
Down a Topic Appraisal question posted in Appraisal & Insurance by slibus