Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old sapphirekitty

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
sapphirekitty is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-25-03 , 12:03 PM

I'll be on my cruise soon...and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on where to lay my hands on a string of nice Majorica pearls, preferably gunmetal grey, or peacock black....

Or, are there any other types of pearls out there (in Miami area stores) that are reasonably priced?

Any stores in particular I can check out? In Miami or: Grand Cayman, Belize city, Cozumel?

thanks!! Trying to get my shopping plans in order!

sapphirekitty signature
Sapphirekitty

"heaven for me will never heaven be without my cats to welcome me"
Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old tieru

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
tieru is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-25-03 , 12:47 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but why would you want Majorica pearls? They are not real, they are not even cultured.

Having asked this, I will say that the ship I was on in October had them for sale in the "duty free" shop.

I was not real impressed with the shopping in Cozumel, except for a 16k tanzanite that I saw.

How much do you want to spend? I have a friend that I help at the Washington Gift Show (and sometimes NY) who is a pearl jewelry vendor. I could check prices for you. The key to pearls is that it is not just size that counts. The luster and blemishes have a lot to do with price. And just like diamonds, the more you know, the more you are willing to spend to get better quality.

Old GemGoddess

My Profile
View profile photo
Diamond : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: my new wedding set

My Karma
Power: 70
GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice GemGoddess is just really nice
Hits: Out=3151, In=85
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-25-03 , 12:56 PM

Sapphirekitty, check your PMs...

GemGoddess signature
Stephanie M. Leonard, G.G.
Old sapphirekitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Well...I know they are "costume"
Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-25-03 , 03:42 PM

but they are pretty nice, and for me at this time, affordable. One day I'd like to get myself a string of cultured pearls....but I can't at the moment. So, I'd be happy with a nice string of nice "costume" ones. One has to be happy with what one can afford sometimes....But, one day! I'd also one day like to have a huge Tahitian pearl lariat...my jeweler had this MONGO string of Real Tahitian pearls, huge, like jawbreakers, they were AWESOME~~~ But, I don't quite have the $37,000 they were going for....I can only dream at the moment. But, ONE would be nice on a lariat, with a nice Diamond on the other side, or a briolette aquamarine to balance it out...one day!

I don't think I could quite afford cultured pearls at the moment, but I'll keep my eyes peeled on my trip!

sapphirekitty signature
Sapphirekitty

Old tieru

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-25-03 , 04:34 PM

Have you thought about getting one of the nicer freshwater pearl strands that are out now. I have got a strand (from my friend of course) that are about 7mm and almost perfectly round. They are the wonderful multicolored ones, with some of the best luster I have ever seen, and if I remember correctly they were less than 200 dollars.

Old Raech

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
Raech is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 11-26-03 , 03:42 PM

I noted today even betterthandiamond.com has some two types One really inexpensive.

Other than that majoricapearls.com

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 148
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 11-26-03 , 04:59 PM

That is good advice. Freshwater pearls can be great quality at a very reasonable price. When buying pearls, it is best to look for high lustre. Avoid buying cultured pearls with overly thin nacre (pearls which were not cultured long enough; there is just a thin coating of 'pearl' over the center bead).
Also, shop around & be patient. I was very lucky to find this strand of big, beautiful Tahitian pearls for $700. Elsewhere, even on the Internet, similar pearls go for multiple thousands of dollars. I happened to walk into a favorite jewelry store and the reputable pearl dealer was doing a close-out & I was able to negotiate a lower price in addition.

Attached Images
jewelry 016sm.jpg

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 11-26-03 , 05:10 PM

Another great way to buy high-quality pearls for little money is to be patient and regularly scout around coin shops, antique & pawn shops. Much of the merchandise will be things you don't want, but then a great find will appear. I acquired this great, long pearl necklace by trading in a few pieces of jewelry which I didn't wear anymore at a coin shop.

Attached Images
jewelry 236sm.jpg

Old sapphirekitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Itbit!!! those pearls are dreamy!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 11-27-03 , 11:57 PM

You lucky, lucky girl!! I would love to have some like those Tahitians...wow!!! The white ones are very classic, very nice! I have a nice pair of earrings, they have 2 Tahitian pearls in each, one above the other, set in white gold, one gorgeous black, one white. Very classy. And my hubby gifted me on our 10th anniversay with a little silk bag, with 3 pear shaped pearls in it, peacock grey! I was SO surprised! I had them made into a pendant and earrings, white gold with diamonds. My most prized possessions are my pearls. I think I would give up most everything but those pearls. They are very unique jewels.

sapphirekitty signature
Sapphirekitty

Old Itbit

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 11-28-03 , 02:44 AM

Thank you, sapphirekitty.
I think that pearls are incredibly beautiful. They enhance the beauty of any woman who wears them.
Enjoy your beautiful pearls :-)

Old SBelle

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 4

My Karma
Power: 54
SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 12-02-03 , 12:37 AM

I got a strand of Majorica pearls from A Carat and Under online - www.caratandunder.com - the prices seemed fine, but I didn't comparison shop. Although I know they are not real, they suit me fine, and for now I wanted to spend my jewelry dollars elsewhere.

Old y2kitty

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 52
y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice y2kitty is just really nice
Hits: Out=1, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 12-06-03 , 05:05 PM

Dude, does your cruise go to Belize?!! What cruise line is this? I never wanted to take a cruise till I read that.

Old tieru

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 12-06-03 , 07:35 PM

In Belize do the snorkeling at Stingray and Shark Alley. Absoulutely Awesome!

Old patyb

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 46
patyb is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 12-06-03 , 11:39 PM

Hi,

I not familiar with pearls but I want some from Overstock.com and for the price they are really nice. They are Akoya.
I have hinted to my dh that I want some for christmas.

patyb

Old ANGIENMGM

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
ANGIENMGM is on a distinguished road

I HAVE A STRAND OF MAJORICA PEARLS
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 01-14-04 , 04:01 AM

I AM INTERESTED IN SELLING AN 18in STRAND OF 8mm MAJORICA PEARLS. NEVER WORN, STILL HAVE TAGS AND GUARANTEE. I ALSO HAVE A MATCHING PAIR OF 10mm STUD EARRINGS. THEY ARE AUBERGINE, YA KNOW A KIND OF BROWNISH BURGUNDY COLOR. THEY'RE GEORGEOUS! I JUST DON'T WEAR PEARLS. GIFTS FROM OVERSEAS, WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THEM. SELL THEM TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS THEM. PLEASE E-MAIL ME BACK ANGIE

Old sapphirekitty

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Sbelle....I'm very grateful
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 01-16-04 , 11:11 PM

for that link!!!! so gorgeous! I so want all of them. Some people like $$10,000 chaching pearls, I love my Majorica faux ones...

sapphirekitty signature
Sapphirekitty

Old SBelle

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 4

My Karma
Power: 54
SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold SBelle is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 01-22-04 , 08:50 PM

No problem. I saw the gray ones in person recently and I thought they were really stunning. They are not as shiny as the pictures on the website, but are a beautiful, muted, dove-y gray. I have a big work event coming up, and if it goes well, I might reward myself with a strand of the 10mm grays. Gotta talk to DH about it because 30th birthday is next month, and we are already paying out for the gift - beautiful sapphire and diamond ring. But then again, Majoricas are pretty affordable. . . .

Old beachgirljenny

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
beachgirljenny is on a distinguished road

Re: Majorica Pearls...where can I buy them?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 10-13-10 , 04:17 PM

Are black tahitian pearls very good or rare? Like what's a reasonable price for them? I like the look of them but I'm kind of new to the 'pearl market' hahaha

Old samantha35

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
samantha35 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 10-13-10 , 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirljenny
Are black tahitian pearls very good or rare? Like what's a reasonable price for them? I like the look of them but I'm kind of new to the 'pearl market' hahaha

Jenny I'm not really sure to be honest, I think they look kind of funky . I had a little look and found this pendant
http://www.pearlstyles.com/products...ant-aaa-quality

$300 ish for 10-11 mm seems alright, but I think you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere. it was a pendant you're after right?

Old laceyjones11

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
laceyjones11 is on a distinguished road

gems
Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 05-17-11 , 06:07 AM

niceeeeee

Old jakson

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
jakson is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 08-16-11 , 01:12 AM

nice!!!!!.Majorca pearls are imitation pearls manufactured on the island of Majorca. Local Mallorca women have specialized in the artistic fabrication of faux pearls since the 19th Century and are worldwide recognized for its quality and perfection: Majorca pearls have such a resemblance to the natural pearls that only experts can tell them apart.

Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Under Cover by EdwardBristol
Up a Topic 1 42ct Precision Cut Tsavorite Garnet posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by tyds
Older:
Down a Topic Looking at buying raw emeralds by olovina
Down a Topic 3D designer posted in Greet New Members by 3dgor