Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old LewisJewelers

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
LewisJewelers is on a distinguished road

New Member - G.G. here - Online Jeweler
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 07-18-05 , 12:30 PM

Hello from Lewis Jewelers Online
www.Lewisjewelers.com

We are an online Jeweler besides being a large store in Ann Arbor, Michigan with 3 Graduate Gemologist on staff. If you have any questions or desires feel free to let us know.
Peter-John Parisis, G.G.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 480
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=254, In=1

Re: New Member - G.G. here - Online Jeweler
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 07-18-05 , 12:34 PM

Hello LJ Welcome to DiamondRing.

irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old LewisJewelers

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

pictures -- online
Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 07-18-05 , 03:13 PM

Thank you for your thoughts on the pictures. We did our best to inform in our education section using Non copyrighted pictures to help teach others about diamonds. All our pictures are Not copyrighted and we hope any and all are enjoyed by everyone any way they like.

You know the old saying ....copyright will protect you and not copyrighting should be viewed as a free for all. So dishonest....no...we did not say these are all of our pictures nor did we use any pictures that are copyrighted knowningly. So if you do not want to share pictures and the beauty...copyright them and put a watermark on them saying so and honest people will not use them.

Sorry you feel your pictures cannot be used by anyone else. If we used any of your pictures, we would not have done so if we thought there would be any hard feelings.....there are tons of pictures available out there. But the picture you are referring to is in the educational section for all to learn from.

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 07-18-05 , 03:22 PM

!!!...WOW..!!!

Old LewisJewelers

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 07-18-05 , 03:51 PM

As soon as you posted a comment that you did not like the pictures on our website....we already were in the process of removing them. We do not want to cause anyone grief and replaced with pictures that we actually photographed. Sorry this caused you such grief....it was never intented too nor would we continue too. The advise was just to help your frustrations in the future.

Old Captfun

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
Captfun is on a distinguished road

Re: pictures -- online
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 07-18-05 , 04:02 PM

I've really gotta side with David on this one.

Your actions were thoughtless and lazy, and your response was arrogant.

If you'd spent about five minutes looking around this site, you'd realize who the pictures belong to. Did you honestly think David wasn't going to be offended?

What's more puzzling, why not take your own pictures? It's not that tough.

Old Loch

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
Loch is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 07-18-05 , 05:00 PM

Omg!!!!

Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 383
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 07-18-05 , 05:21 PM

Well this guy has educated me in theft..therefore I will not even give his website link the time of the day. That totally was arrogant...and I don't think it is "ignorance is bliss" on this. They messed with the wrong guy..I am glad David that you don't let up on these things--Good for YOU!!~Ronda

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 07-19-05 , 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebGal
For everyone's information:

A photo that is not watermarked can still be a copyrighted photo.

Good point Webgal, and just to add to this..

A "work" (meaning photograph or design) carries an automatic copyright from the very moment it is created. The owner of said work is the person who took the photo or created the design. FULL legal copyright belongs to the creator regardless of whether or not the work was formally registered with the copyright office. Even if the work is shown online or distributed via electronic or other means, it DOES NOT mean it is in the "public domain" and free for use by anyone!

Note also that you CAN successfully take legal action against someone if they have stolen and used your copyrighted material. Again, it does not have to be formally registered by the copyright office before you can sue for infringement. You just need to prove the item was created by you and used by someone else without your permission. Whether or not they used it for profit or educational purposes makes NO difference! Infringement is infringement!

It is a very common misconception that photos and other items put up on the internet are "free" for the taking. This is absolutely NOT true! You cannot borrow, copy, or steal ANY photo or created background, or text article, etc. if you did not CREATE it!

Copyright law can be very complicated, but the easiest way to keep yourself (and your webmasters out of trouble) is this....... If you didn't CREATE it - DON'T use it!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old Feydakin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
Feydakin is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=663, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 07-19-05 , 09:50 AM

You wouldn't be referring to this site would you David??

http://www.bluenile.com/

There have been an awful lot of look and feel lawsuits over the years with various degrees of success, but that is one sleeping giant I would not want kicking my door down..

And for the record, everything that is created is automatically copyright to the owner regardless of whether a (c) symbol is placed on it or not.. Besides, taking something that someone else created and using it as yours is just lazy and dishonest.. I'm willing to give the jewelr the benefit of the doubt here, but his web guy needs to be taken out back and introduced to the finer arts of corporal punishment..

Steve -

Feydakin signature
- Steve
- Bench Jeweler, Designer, and all around strange guy
Old cmoher

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 60
cmoher is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 07-19-05 , 10:26 AM

"You wouldn't be referring to this site would you David??

http://www.bluenile.com/"

OMG!! Not good!!

Old HLMR

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (1)
Feedback In: 
+1  0
Feedback Out:
+1  0

My Karma
HLMR is on a distinguished road

Re: pictures -- online
Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 07-19-05 , 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewisJewelers
Thank you for your thoughts on the pictures. We did our best to inform in our education section using Non copyrighted pictures to help teach others about diamonds. All our pictures are Not copyrighted and we hope any and all are enjoyed by everyone any way they like.

You know the old saying ....copyright will protect you and not copyrighting should be viewed as a free for all. So dishonest....no...we did not say these are all of our pictures nor did we use any pictures that are copyrighted knowningly. So if you do not want to share pictures and the beauty...copyright them and put a watermark on them saying so and honest people will not use them.

Sorry you feel your pictures cannot be used by anyone else. If we used any of your pictures, we would not have done so if we thought there would be any hard feelings.....there are tons of pictures available out there. But the picture you are referring to is in the educational section for all to learn from.

Hi there:

Perhaps I could "borrow" some of your diamond inventory (which I would of course, credit to be yours, but only if it is marked properly), to be used for educational purposes. I would ensure that all would learn from these diamond pieces in a quest to educate the consumer.

Heather

Old didiamond

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
didiamond is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 07-19-05 , 11:41 AM

UNBELIEVABLE! And the arrogance to imply that they are there for the "taking"!!

didiamond signature
~Diane~
Old ThePearl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
ThePearl is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=186, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 07-19-05 , 04:20 PM

Hi David, Steve and all others. Bill Pearlman here. What is with the similiar website design to blue nile? Is there a new affilation with the nile?

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 445
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4446, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 07-19-05 , 04:54 PM

Looks to be a knockoff of blueniles's homepage.

Probably not a good move for the long term.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old cmoher

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
cmoher is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 07-19-05 , 04:55 PM

A company as big as Blue Nile should not have their template accessible for the public to use by whoever created their website. If it is indeed the case (which I doubt) I'm sure they would have paid the 300-1000 for exclusivity to use that particular template on their website only. Most template companies offer both a template that many people can download and use for a small price, or that same template to be exclusively your for a larger price. When they are spending tons of money on marketing, do you think they would opt to leave their template to be open for other to use?

ex. www.templatemonster.com

Old ThePearl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#17 @ 07-19-05 , 05:16 PM

We actually had a store in Ohio take all of our Steven Kretchmer photography off our site and put it on there's. We consulted with a lawyer about this and true if it's your photography and or text it is protected by copyright law.

ThePearl signature
Old ThePearl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#18 @ 07-19-05 , 05:20 PM

We actually had a store in Ohio take all of the Steven Kretchmer photography off our site and put it on his. We consulted a lawyer and it is true that if it's our pictures and/ or copy it's a violation of copyright law.

ThePearl signature
Old ThePearl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#19 @ 07-19-05 , 06:06 PM

We were finally able to get them off. He believed that these were Kretchmer photographs and he had every right to them. Find out that he told his webmaster that he had permission to use these photos.

ThePearl signature
Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#20 @ 07-19-05 , 09:37 PM

Wow.....interesting thread!

One thing I've sure figured out is that if I were to decide to take my business online, I'd sure want to get good guidance in setting it up and operating it...screw up, and a whole lot of people are going to hear about it!!

(David...just a general observation here and not a defense of this guy...don't harangue me!! )

widget

Old Feydakin

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 61
Feydakin is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=663, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#21 @ 07-20-05 , 09:51 AM

Over the years there have been dozens of 'look and feel' lawsuits and all have lost.. And while there is nothing 'illegal' about using a design style, and it is hard to continually come up with new styles without it looking a little bit like someone else, it's generally not seen as a "good thing" to copy one of the largest competitors in your field, right down to the color scheme.. They even mimiced the red ribbon and jewelry picture but changed it to a red rose and jewelry picture..

Feydakin signature
- Steve
- Bench Jeweler, Designer, and all around strange guy
Old JudahSuperbCert

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
JudahSuperbCert is just really nice JudahSuperbCert is just really nice JudahSuperbCert is just really nice JudahSuperbCert is just really nice JudahSuperbCert is just really nice
Hits: Out=3497, In=0

For Shame!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#22 @ 07-20-05 , 01:09 PM

Peter-John Parisis,

Not exactly what I would call a great way to introduce youself to DT.

You register on DT to post your first hello and website link using STOLEN imagery from a respected jeweler (a respected DT Network Jeweler no less...) and then proceed to insult everyones intelligence here with your lame and arrogant assertions that you did nothing wrong, once you were caught with your pants down???!!!

You even go so far as to arrogantly lecture David on how he is unwilling to share his imagery for educational purposes and what he ought to do to avoid having his pictures lifted in the future???!!

I would never pick any bones with anyone. My policy has always been to "live and let live". However, the sheer hubris of what you have done here is just incredible.

All I can say is, good luck on DT!

Judah

JudahSuperbCert signature
Judah
http://www.superbcert.com
Old Female

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: DBL custom creation

My Karma
Female will become famous soon enough

Quote this post and reply to it Post#23 @ 07-20-05 , 06:55 PM

Judah,
preach, Brother!!

Female signature
a/k/a mdm. mouse and Milen's mommy
Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Hi to all by colormyworld
Up a Topic Are these measurements too small posted in DIAMONDS by Grease1739
Older:
Down a Topic Chamayne diamonds by sedwards
Down a Topic Will it show in white gold posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by sassy_1967