Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old JamesPaul

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
JamesPaul is on a distinguished road

Which Tiffany Lucida should I get?!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-20-06 , 06:17 AM

Hi,

By means of an introduction whilst over in the States for a year work placement I met my girlfriend Kelly. We have now been together a few years and the time has come to pop the question!

For a while, Kelly has been dropping hints that she wants a square diamond on a platinum band. After researching, I decided that Tiffany's Lucida ring was perfect and have since had many connversation with Tiffany's at the King of Prussia mall, who incidentally have been most helpful. Being British and wanting to buy the ring in the States is making this task even more daunting that i imagine it would normally be. (In case you are wondering why I am doing this, I have contacted Tiffany's in London and the same ring is notably more expensive over here). I am flying over to the States on Tuesday, have an appointment with Tiffany's on Wednesday and am planning to ask Kelly on Thursday in NYC! The rings I will be viewing are all Tiffany Lucida with the following stats: (http://www.tiffany.com/expertise/di...px?ring=lucida&)
.45 F VVS1
.40 E VVS1
.53 H VVS2

Which ring would you choose?!
Will there be that much difference between colour E and H?
VVS1 versus VVS2?
Do I trade off size for quality? (FYI: Kelly is quite petite - 5ft 4in and I believe wears either a size 4 or 5 ring)

Looking forward to your replies / opinions!
James
Ps. Have I posted this in the right section of the forum?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old kleinkath

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Fancy Yellow Emerald Cut Diamond

My Feedback (13)
Feedback In: 
+11  0
Feedback Out:
+13  0

My Karma
Power: 153
kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute kleinkath has a reputation beyond repute

Re: Which Tiffany Lucida should I get?!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-20-06 , 06:36 AM

Hi James and welcome to DT! And, congratulations on your upcoming engagement. It sounds like you have really special plans for Kelly.

As far as which stone to pick that is difficult without seeing them. I think that you will know it when you see them Since every diamond is different one may just jump out at you when you are viewing them.

For color unless you are very sensitive to color you will probably have trouble telling the E from the F, and maybe only see the difference in the H when they are next to each other. It really depends on the cut of the stone, and your eye. (I would assume that a Tiffany stone would have a great cut.)

As far as VVS1 and VVS2 you would have a really hard time telling the difference between those two even with a loop. So, unless it was a really unusual situation you will never be able to tell the difference on her hand.

Good luck and keep us posted! And, we always love to see pictures if Kelly is willing!

Old diamondjunkie

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute diamondjunkie has a reputation beyond repute
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-20-06 , 07:12 AM

Hi James and welcome to DT! I'm also a Brit and married to an American so I understand very well about the price issue!

I think KK has it right: you will know it when you see it. The VVS1 and VVS2 clarity will not even be an issue - you would have a hard time finding anything with a loupe even. The colour issue probably won't matter either unless, as KK says, you are colour sensitive or you hold the H next to the E. Even then it will be a subtle difference.

Good luck with your ring shopping and engagement - I'm sure she will be bowled over with her Tiffany ring!

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-20-06 , 08:11 AM

Hee hee...what fun!!!

Congratulations, James, on your upcoming engagement!

As everyone before me has said...since you'll be seeing these in person, side-by-side, you'll KNOW which one you want. It'll be the one shouting the loudest: "Pick me! Pick me!"

I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with any of them. (If one didn't stand out as a favorite, I'd go for the visually biggest one.)

Again...congratulations!
widget

Old oonik

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
Power: 58
oonik has a spectacular aura about oonik has a spectacular aura about

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-20-06 , 09:42 AM

i agree with everyone else. it's difficult to spot the difference between a VVS1 and VVS2.

i'm not really sure for colour though but i'm guessing unless she has another piece of jewellery that's in DEF range, it's difficult to compare.

Old JamesPaul

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 08-20-06 , 10:26 AM

Thanks for your input. Must admit I'm looking forward to seeing if there is much of a difference between the colour grades.

James

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: E/VS Emerald Cut

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 8

My Karma
Power: 215
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=441, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 08-20-06 , 10:33 AM

Hi James, I agree with the others about the clarity difference being a non issue (except for price).

If I were you, I'd ask they NOT tell you which stone is which and let your eyes be the judge. After you've picked your "visual" favorite, then you can ask about the specifics of the stone.

The way your eye sees the stone is the way everyone else's will too, and you're really looking for the best "presence", right?

It would be fun to see which one grabbed your attention first.

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old luvnjewelry

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cushion cut ring in platinum

My Karma
Power: 383
luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute luvnjewelry has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=98, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 08-20-06 , 12:19 PM

I really could not say too much more other than you definately will not go wrong with a Tiffany. I really like what Diamlady had to say...don't look at the specs and such, look at the diamonds and hopefully your eyes will tell you what is the most visually stimulating! With a Tiffany diamond........this could be quite challenging.........it will be interesting to see which one you may choose. Welcome to the forum BTW!~Ronda

Old Snooper

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Snooper is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 08-20-06 , 12:35 PM

Welcome and congrats on the upcoming proposal!!!

I LOVE the Lucida diamond. I agree with what everyone has said.

DiamLady suggested to NOT see the stats but let your eyes do the judging first. That's a GOOD idea. There's a big price difference if you get a VVS1 vs. VVS2

I know the lucida cut is top heavy so it's a deeper cut diamond (i'm pretty sure), so it'll look a bit smaller than if you were to go for a round...

I wouldn't worry about size for your petite lady. What ever you get willl look larger on her tiny hand!

If the Lucida does face up smaller like I think, I'd suggest maybe going down on clarity to say VS and get more carat? Just my $.02

Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma
DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute DiamLady has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 08-20-06 , 01:07 PM

Hey Snooper, I didn't even know Tiffany made a Lucida CUT diamond! Do they?

I just assumed it was a Lucida setting with a regular shape stone. I'm confused again. ROFL

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 86
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 08-20-06 , 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamLady

Yep! Here's what I've read about it: Square mixed cut; 50 facets, some stepped. It's been described as an asscher-like cushion...

widget

Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 155
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 08-20-06 , 11:00 PM

Ohh, congratulations JP - what an exciting time.

I am sure everything at Tiffany's will be just fab, but I love the suggestion that you use your eyes first...because you'll be using your eyes on the diamond for a while, not referring to the paper.

Old susi

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 78
susi is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 09-09-06 , 06:08 PM

JP, I'm going to be looking at Lucida cuts too, in a few weeks so I'll be very interested in what you and your lady choose.

susi signature
Susi
Old DiamLady

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (4)
Feedback In: 
+4  0
Feedback Out:
+4  0

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 09-09-06 , 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by widget
Yep! Here's what I've read about it: Square mixed cut; 50 facets, some stepped. It's been described as an asscher-like cushion...
widget

Hmmmmmmm.. and asscher-like cushion sounds pretty awesome to me!!

DiamLady signature
~*~*~Rhonda~*~*~
Old JamesPaul

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 09-18-06 , 09:10 AM

I went for the 0.53 H VVS2 !

To be honest, there was little to choose between them, but when you looked at the 0.53 from the top, the cut was much more apparent. Think we are going for a matching 2.5mm Tiffany wedding band that has diamonds half the way round. The 2 rings look really nice together!

James

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 274
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16882, In=5948
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 09-18-06 , 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamLady

I just assumed it was a Lucida setting with a regular shape stone. I'm confused again. ROFL

The Lucida is a diamond cut for Tiffany's. The closest look to it would be a Flanders diamond.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Attached Images
Flanders in tweezers.jpg

Read Messages in: Greet New Members All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic New Guy by tubenutt
Up a Topic New Guy posted in Greet New Members by tubenutt
Older:
Down a Topic Newbie by LokeU
Down a Topic Do diamonds need repolishing posted in DIAMONDS by wahinelynn