Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Hest88

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Hest88 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#151 @ 01-26-02 , 04:05 PM

Well said, Wink. Nothing you acquire in life can bring you happiness; it can only magnify whatever joys you hold within yourself.

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old karinlp

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
karinlp is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#152 @ 01-26-02 , 06:56 PM

I have a 1.10 carat oval cut that looks like 1.5 carats. I can not count how many times people have complimented me on my diamond. I am not embarrassed about the attention that it receives but rather am very flattered. When complimented, I always respond that my husband did a good job picking it out (of course with my help!!). My friends rings are smaller but I do not feel embarrassed & neither should they. The meaning behind the ring is the same regardless of size. I hope to someday have a daughter to pass it on to!! I love diamonds & would only be embarrassed by an obviously poor quality diamond.

Old Iris

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Iris is on a distinguished road

Karin
Quote this post and reply to it Post#153 @ 01-27-02 , 12:09 AM

Karin, could you post a picture of your ring? I love ovals..and might go to one someday..it would fit nicely in my set.

Old karinlp

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 71
karinlp is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#154 @ 01-27-02 , 12:41 PM

Iris,
I do not yet have a digital camera or a scanner (my husband & I are rather computer naive!!). Otherwise I would gladly post a pic. I do love my oval though!! People often mistake it for a pear or even marquise (go figure)!! It is a beautiful stone. A princess cut would have been my next choice (they are very classy looking).

Old dulcinea

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
dulcinea is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#155 @ 01-27-02 , 03:11 PM

Some people are just ridiculous! I would never think of commenting on a strangers ring, especially if my comment is a bad one. My boyfriend and I are 23 but have worked hard for what we have. When my boyfriend turned 22 he bought himself a nice car, nothing extraordinary just nice, and people had the nerve to ask "Is it yours?" What kind of questions is that? It just comes to show you that some people have no tact or manners. As for the matter of being emberrased by a ring. We were planning on getting a 2 carat round, but quite frankly it looks a little off on a person my age and size 5.5 finger. Plus if anybody asked me "Is it yours" I would bop then in the face with it, so that would be tto dangerous. Be happy with what you have. If other people have insecurity or jelousy issues let them deal with it.

Old Iris

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Iris is on a distinguished road

On this topic
Quote this post and reply to it Post#156 @ 01-30-02 , 12:36 PM

I have a friend in another message board area. She just got engaged to a CEO..he's been on the cover of Fortune Magazine. Well he bought her a 2.55 pear, with pears on the side. The side stones are in the band and sort of going down the side of the band..it is not a three stone type setting..in platinum. Well her neighbor saw her driving and came by and asked if she was engaged..and saw the ring and told her it was "too big". Well, this girl didn't pick the ring out, her fiance did. I can't believe the manners of some people.

Old CherylP

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
CherylP is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#157 @ 01-30-02 , 12:49 PM

Clearly, the neighbor was "too jealous."

Old MIAB

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 63
MIAB is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#158 @ 08-04-04 , 01:00 PM

The beauty of a diamond is in the beholder.

Some would never wear a small stone and some would never go "too big". The same goes with personal opinions on cut of a diamond, as well as, quality.

I have found as I have aged, that the more confidence a person has with their inner self it does not matter the size of their stone, the size or cost of their home, their car etc. You are at peace with yourself and you know who and what you are. It should not matter what people think of your diamond...and you should be able to handle yourself with class when it comes to another persons stone as well.

There will always be wonderful people in this world that mature and handle life with grace and then there will be others who never mature.

There is beauty in every piece of jewelry...whether small or large....just take a moment to think of how many people went into making the piece...isn't that alone amazing?

Old widget

My Profile
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 84
widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold widget is a splendid one to behold
Referrals: 1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#159 @ 08-04-04 , 08:45 PM

I'm not embarrassed by my mother's big honker...I'm scared of it!

When I wear it I worry about getting mugged!

Widget

Old bluepetalnyc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
bluepetalnyc is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#160 @ 08-05-04 , 02:16 AM

I have a 2.37 round ideal solitaire. I live in NYC. I sometimes feel embarassed around my friends because so many have over 2 1/2. However, when someone has a smaller diamond, I also feel embarassed. So you win some and lose some!

Old bluepetalnyc

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
bluepetalnyc is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#161 @ 08-05-04 , 02:17 AM

I have a 2.37 round ideal solitaire. I live in NYC. I sometimes feel embarassed around my friends because so many have over 2 1/2. However, when someone has a smaller diamond, I also feel embarassed. So you win some and lose some!

Old kaylagee

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rutilated Quartz

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 69
kaylagee is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#162 @ 08-05-04 , 05:19 AM

Mine grow and shrink too! <laughing>

I can barely see them here in the SF Bay Area w/o a microscope but they seem almost 'gianormous' in France! It is very weird but true. Perception is so key.

I've never actually felt *embarassed* either way. A little-bit self conscious around some relatives.

Really, I'm guessing that the people I see day-to-day (clerks, neighbors etc) just don't care (I'm also very busy w/ my 1year old ds, so he's a great diversion... no one notices much about me anymore heehee)... or they assume that they're czs. <shrug>

Old CharlottesMom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 62
CharlottesMom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#163 @ 08-05-04 , 10:14 AM

kaylagee brings up an interesting point: in Europe, diamonds and their size are not very important. I married a British man and have lived in England for 6 years now. When we got engaged, I told him the size diamond I wanted. Well, great guy that he is, he went looking for it and nearly had a heart attack for the prices he was getting in 's!! (Then, the only places to carry large, premium quality diamonds were exclusive jewelry stores, but availability is getting better as are the prices.) He told me either we could get a nice e-ring and put a down payment on a house, or get the ring I wanted and live with his parents! Needless to say we agreed to do the former...and purchased the diamond in the US to avoid VAT as well as get a great price.

Where is this all leading? Well, in keeping with the thread, I have to say the only time I've ever been embarassed about my 1.02 ct marquise solitaire e-ring was when my brother-in-law announced his engagement and we all went out to dinner to celebrate. His fiancee showed her ring to all of us at the table. It's very pretty and suits her demure personality. It is not a solitaire but a cluster of diamonds set in a flower shape, which is very traditional here in England. The embarassment came when my FIL told me to take off my e-ring and show it to my future SIL. He proceded to say, "Now that's an engagement ring!" I felt so horrible for my future SIL, I just sat there lost for words. I'm sure dear FIL was showing off what my husband could afford, but it made me feel terrible that such a lovely ring for my SIL and a celebration for her marriage was overshadowed by a few careless words. If I had it to do over again, I would have refused to take my ring off and say something like "Today is Susan's day to shine, she can see my ring any other time if she wants."

Old TickledPink

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 63
TickledPink is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#164 @ 08-05-04 , 10:53 AM

Interesting thread. I just got back from vacationing in Texas and was flying back to Atlanta. I sat by a little girl and her mother. I noticed the little girl looking at my hand. Mind you, she must have been all of 5 years old. She said," My mommie's ring is bigger than yours!" I was about to respond and then she picked up my hand and looked at it very closely. Now, I'm expecting the mother of this child to chime in and tell the little girl that she needed to mind her manners. The mother just started laughing and picked up her hand and showed me hers. It was very pretty. If I had to guess she had a 3 carat round in an amazing setting. I just traded my 2.0 pear for a 2.5 and got a microsetting for it and yes it probably was smaller than hers. After this woman showed me her ring, she said, " We are just two high maintenance girls". Referring to she and her 5 year old. Unbelievable. I was speechless. I was so embarressed for this mother who has taught her young daughter such shallowness. So I guess I'm a little off topic, but I will tell you all I have never been embarressed by my jewelry as I have worked very hard for it. My first diamond was about a 1/2 carat and I still cherish it as if it were the Hope Diamond.

TickledPink signature
Kellie
Last edited by TickledPink : 08-05-04 at 10:53 AM.
Old kaylagee

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rutilated Quartz

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 69
kaylagee is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=1, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#165 @ 08-05-04 , 05:44 PM

CharlottesMom,

So true. Dh is French and we've been going back and forth between here and Paris. Most mid-range diamond jewelry there is still overpriced and of dodgy quality, IMO. We bought mine here.

Thinking about the embarassment more... I *do* remember feeling uncomfortable another time(We'd just received my belated e-ring..I think I've posted about this elsewhere) when my MIL blurted "I thought you didn't like diamond rings!" She didn't compliment it or anything. I could just the feel disapproval radiating. She's very conservative and frugal-to-a-fault(my opinion, of course), so I could tell she thought it was ridiculous or even fake.

I was stunned by her attitude but said that I'd finally found one that I liked.

In addition to feeling embarassed, I was a little sad too since I know my mom & friends here would have been congratulatory and at least said something nice about it.

Oh, goodness..I'm totally praying that we move here near my family!

Old mtorres00

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 75
mtorres00 is on a distinguished road

What a great thread!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#166 @ 08-05-04 , 05:54 PM

It's funny I was so psyched about getting my e-ring and I've gotten comments like: "Thats a headlight!" I actually thought that was funny.
Most pp have told me my 3 carat cushion is *huge* yet beautiful and that always makes me feel good. Because of its mm it looks like a 3.5 someone even said 4! I wouldn't go that far! Anyway, I love my e-ring! Especially since the guy who proposed is *amazing*. I mean, who wants to walk around with a honker if the guy is not worth it.

My mother luuuves to show off my ring and when she does I get embarressed. One of my mom's co-workers told me that I hide my left hand. I had no idea that she knew I did this but its true I do hide it at times. Perfect example, (the same co-worker) told her daughter to see my ring (in front of me) but I ignored her comment and continued talking to my mom since the girl is only 10.

However, everytime I look at it I'm sooo glad its mine!

Old Allisonfaye

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 72
Allisonfaye is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#167 @ 10-01-04 , 05:20 PM

Wow, Tickledpink. That is unbelievable.

The only time I was slightly embarrassed was when we went to my husband's families' house when I first got it. Both of his sisters got married when they were much, much younger than me and couldn't afford much in the way of jewelry. DH makes much more than they do and he could have afforded a more expensive ring. I know they think I am excessive. Since then DH got me another ring, it is a pave diamond ring which I wear on my right hand. What can I say? I love diamonds. They don't realize he wears a pretty pricy watch.

Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Question about L W ratio by didiamond
Up a Topic 2 carat Genuine Diamond Engagement Ring For Sale posted in JEWELRY CLASSIFIEDS by ldogg87
Older:
Down a Topic Diamonds switched for CZ or lesser diamonds by AdaBeta27
Down a Topic Fire opal and diamond ring posted in Jewelry Photo Gallery by ceylonblue