Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old chazm

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Classifieds
Gemstones: 1

My Karma
Power: 0
chazm is on a distinguished road

Another Sapphire ? Need help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 08-30-08 , 10:10 PM

Hi, my girlfriend (hopefully soon to be fiance) let me know a couple of years ago that she doesn't want a diamond ring, she wants a sapphire engagement ring. All she said in here email was that she wanted a 2+ carat round cut blue sapphire ring and gave me a website of a ring she liked.

Now, I am able to buy wholesale Jewelry but I have ZERO knowledge of diamonds and stones. In my Rio catalog they have a natural sapphire stone and all its says is "AAA-GRADE, Color- Medium to deep blue, Clarity- Eye Clean". The biggest is a 6mm stone and sells for $840. My problem is, I thought eye clean isn't that great and it doesn't say the carat weight.

Ive been reading this site for the last few days and I really like 3+ carat Ceylon medium blue sapphire from Michael on this site....my question is, is michaels deal really a deal? How can I tell, how can I tell if the stone from Rio is any good? Its a wholesale price so you would think if one were to buy it wholesale they would have to sell it considerably more at retail?

Any help?

Oh, and this is the ring that my GF likes http://www.topazery.com/antique-jewelry-item-rg2380.htm

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 280
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2528, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Another Sapphire ? Need help
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 08-31-08 , 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazm
My problem is, I thought eye clean isn't that great and it doesn't say the carat weight.

Rio sells a lot of these things and so the carat weight and color will vary depending on which one they pick to send to you. Eye clean is as good as it gets with most sapphires, but since that's a subjective grade, what you actually receive will depend on the luck of the draw. They do have a return policy though, so you can take a look and see for yourself.

Quote:
Ive been reading this site for the last few days and I really like 3+ carat Ceylon medium blue sapphire from Michael on this site....my question is, is michaels deal really a deal? How can I tell, how can I tell if the stone from Rio is any good?

It's only a deal if you like that color of sapphire. If you don't like that particular shade then it's not a deal at all. The stone I'm selling has no gray overtone and no noticeable growth lines. With the setting that you've linked to and the stone I'm offering the price would be a touch lower and so in total a better deal IMO. My advice, get the stone from Rio and maybe mine, look them over and send back whichever doesn't suit you.

Quote:
Its a wholesale price so you would think if one were to buy it wholesale they would have to sell it considerably more at retail?

Well that all depends on who's buying and who's selling. The word "wholesale" doesn't mean too much anymore, since everyone is using it as a sales pitch in their advertising. What you should focus on the the quality, size and total price of the stones that you're interested in. Everyone selling has some sort of inventory and several suppliers who can get you nearly anything you want in a very short time frame. Some things, (like bona fide Kashmir sapphires) are out of touch to us mere mortals, while some other sapphires could be considered a "lucky find", since replacing the stone with a similar one would not be possible at the same price. Places like Rio are not going to provide the "lucky find" while independent jewelers MIGHT. You need to LOOK at stones, see what's available, get an idea of what you and your girl prefer and then decide where the deals are for yourself, (without paying attention to marketing glop like "wholesale to the public"..... an oxymoron if there ever was one). I'd look at the vendors here as well as several of the online sites that represent various independent jewelers and stone cutters when you're looking for the widest variety and best deals. Best of luck in your search !

Michael_E signature
Last edited by Michael_E : 08-31-08 at 12:19 PM.
Old chazm

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 08-31-08 , 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
Rio sells a lot of these things and so the carat weight and color will vary depending on which one they pick to send to you. Eye clean is as good as it gets with most sapphires, but since that's a subjective grade, what you actually receive will depend on the luck of the draw. They do have a return policy though, so you can take a look and see for yourself.

It's only a deal if you like that color of sapphire. If you don't like that particular shade then it's not a deal at all. The stone I'm selling has no gray overtone and no noticeable growth lines. With the setting that you've linked to and the stone I'm offering the price would be a touch lower and so in total a better deal IMO. My advice, get the stone from Rio and maybe mine, look them over and send back whichever doesn't suit you.

Well that all depends on who's buying and who's selling. The word "wholesale" doesn't mean too much anymore, since everyone is using it as a sales pitch in their advertising. What you should focus on the the quality, size and total price of the stones that you're interested in. Everyone selling has some sort of inventory and several suppliers who can get you nearly anything you want in a very short time frame. Some things, (like bona fide Kashmir sapphires) are out of touch to us mere mortals, while some other sapphires could be considered a "lucky find", since replacing the stone with a similar one would not be possible at the same price. Places like Rio are not going to provide the "lucky find" while independent jewelers MIGHT. You need to LOOK at stones, see what's available, get an idea of what you and your girl prefer and then decide where the deals are for yourself, (without paying attention to marketing glop like "wholesale to the public"..... an oxymoron if there ever was one). I'd look at the vendors here as well as several of the online sites that represent various independent jewelers and stone cutters when you're looking for the widest variety and best deals. Best of luck in your search !

Thanks for the reply. I may do what you suggested, in getting both stones to see which one I like better. The problem is, my girlfriend has no idea that Im looking to get her a ring, so its sadly going to be based on me.

About the "wholesale to the public" thing, I never believe that hooplah (sp?) either.

Another question I have is the actual ring that the stone sits in. Would you be able to set a stone in one for me if I were to choose yours and buy the ring from you too?

Last edited by chazm : 08-31-08 at 12:35 PM.
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 08-31-08 , 12:46 PM

Quote:
Another question I have is the actual ring that the stone sits in. Would you be able to set a stone in one for me if I were to choose yours and buy the ring from you too?

Sure, the setting that you've shown is widely available in a variety of metals and so easy to get. Any of the vendors here would prefer to sell an entire package as it keeps all of the responsibility for the final outcome of the piece in one place, as well as making it easier to offer better pricing, (making us more competitive and making a better deal for you). If you'd like to discuss this further via e-mail or PM let me know and I'll get back to you on Tuesday, (the weathers nice here and it's time to head out for a while, have a great weekend !)

Michael_E signature
Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4238, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 08-31-08 , 01:23 PM

Hi & welcome,

Wholesale, schmoesale

I don't think Rio is going to have anything that comes close to the value of Michael's sapphire, and more importantly, you know what sapphire you are going to get with Michael, it is not a shot in the dark.

I would highly recommend having the same person that supplies the sapphire also supply the ring and setting labor... this keeps things simple for you as there is a clear line of responsibility with regard to the quality of the finished product.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old chazm

My Profile
Years:

My Classifieds

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-15-10 , 06:58 PM

Just a little update. I did buy the ring from michael and we got engaged....unfortunately it didn't last. Now I have the ring back but what can I possibly do with it? Is it worth much.

And michael, would you happen to still have the info on the ring?

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 03-15-10 , 07:07 PM

Quote:
And michael, would you happen to still have the info on the ring?

I may, send me an e-mail and we can talk about it. I have the worst time telling who I am dealing with from forum screen names. Let me know more and I'll see what I can find in my archives ! Sorry to hear things didn't work out for you !

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Bought these Pink stones from Dealer by 2die4
Up a Topic Pictures of my ring posted in DIAMONDS by lykame
Older:
Down a Topic how much this sapphire ring worth by gnehs
Down a Topic Hiya posted in Greet New Members by hollyann