Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old kell

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
kell is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 01-14-04 , 11:13 PM

I would like to see what everyone thinks of this. My fiance and I are going away to an island to get married. OUr parents and siblings are attending and anyone else who wants to come can come (their expense). My sister wants to have a bridal shower for me, however some people think it is not the "right thing to do" since we are not having a traditional wedding. Most of her friends (mid 20s) think she should definitely have one for me, while my mother thinks otherwise. Please let me know your thoughts!

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old Bella

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Bella is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 01-15-04 , 11:38 AM

If your sister is set on throwing you a shower, she can pay for it. Since your mother feels it’s not necessary she can be an invitee.

Maybe your mother feels the expense involved attending your far-away wedding is enough on those involved. And those not involved due to finances or logistics shouldn’t have to feel ‘pulled in’ if it is a private affair.

In my opinion if your wedding is going to take place with a few intimate people, more private affair - go about the plans without indulging your sister in her wished to have a shower. Get married and let those that feel obliged to offer their congratulations when you return. Your sister can always have a welcome home party, small luncheon or dinner party later on.

Everyone’s circle is different in how they would feel. You didn’t mention what you, as the bride would like. More gifts are not that important. That’s the sacrifice in eloping, or getting married far away.

Old kell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 01-15-04 , 01:22 PM

Bella
Thanks for your insight. I guess you are right in that if people aren't going to be coming to the wedding why should they have to have the extra expense of coming to a shower. We are planning though on having a reception (not a formal one, more like a picinic style, we are going to rent out a pavilion at a local park) a short while after we return from our wedding. I guess then it is more appropriate that fiends and family share in our joy since we will then be married.
Thanks again.

Old acugirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
acugirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 01-26-04 , 09:19 AM

I think a bridal shower is acceptable! We are having a destination wedding in March and my best friend offered to throw me one, but I live far away and can't travel, otherwise i would take her up on it! We moved 350 miles away from family and friends, so a destination wedding was more exciting than having everyone come here- either way people are gonna travel and stay in hotels, might as well be somewhere fun and warm! Have a shower, people would love to share in your happiness with you. It is not about money or gifts, is it? No, it is about your marriage.

-Acugirl

Old kell

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-26-04 , 10:32 AM

Thanks for the post! Where is your wedding at?

Old acugirl

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
acugirl is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-26-04 , 02:32 PM

We are getting married in Las Vegas, I have never been there and am a HUGE Elvis fan. We looked at the Graceland chapel in Memphis, TN and it was the wrong kind of cheesy. Also, with my job, i canot take off more than a week, so this is a honeymoon and wedding in one!

-Meredith

Read Messages in: Planning a Wedding All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Halloween Themed Wedding by Steffi
Up a Topic As promised pix of my canary white oval 3 stone posted in Diamonds Photo Gallery by marriahlyn
Older:
Down a Topic To Wedding Consultants by 5luckystars
Down a Topic Have you seen this Diamond auction posted in Auctions by susi