Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old manhattan01

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
manhattan01 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-04-03 , 06:40 PM

Well, it's been a long time since I've last posted since worked has picked up but now the wedding planning takes priority and I'm back!

I was looking at sample invitations in magazines and they always state both parent's names for the groom and both parents name for the bride. I COULD do that but is that what I should do?

Also, for obvious reasons, I should have my parents meet my fiancÚ's parents before the wedding...well before I'd imagine just to get acquainted. But my dad is overseas and wont be able to make it until...probably the week of the wedding...so we wont be able to meet her parents. Has anyone ever been in a situation where the parents of the bride and groom don't get acquainted until the week of the wedding?

Thanks everyone!

-spencer

manhattan01 signature
Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired
- Frost
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=236, In=1

Manhattan01
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-04-03 , 06:57 PM

Welcome back!
So it's time? Yeah! I had a situation like you asked for. Our families lived on opposite coasts and I actually didn't meet my future in-laws until 3 days before the wedding. As it turned out, it was a good thing- might not have married him if I'd met his crazy mother before the wedding. But I digress. It isn't unusual for the families to come together shortly before the wedding. It can be awkward if someone is reticent or unsociable by nature. However if you plan things to keep everybody busy, no one will have enough time to notice they've barely had time to chat until the day of the wedding. By that time, it's your day and they wouldn't DARE make a scene (although my MIL tried).

Planning is the key. And be sure to give everybody who is responsible for getting you to this place in your life credit on the invitation. I've seen more friends hurt their family by excluding a father or step-father because some ex-wife had an argument to settle.

Good luck.

Irish

Last edited by irish : 11-04-03 at 06:59 PM.
Old doxiemom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
doxiemom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-04-03 , 07:06 PM

I kind had an issue with my future in laws, they did not pay a dime for our wedding and refused to pay for the rehersal dinner. But still I had their names on our invitations, and my divorced parents as well.

My sister who paid for her own wedding herself (my parents paid for mine) decide to have neither sets of parents mentioned. There were no hard feelings by her that's just what they decided to do. My stepmom was not happy however.....

I say do what best works for you.

Mind started out as:

Mr. and Mrs. "father and stepmother of the bride"
and
Mr. and Mrs. "stepfather and mother of the bride"
request the honour of your presence
at the marriage of their daughter
ME!
to
DH!
son of
Mr. and Mrs. "parents of the groom"
blah, blah, blah......

My parents didn't meet his before as they lived on opposite (north/south) sides of the country.

doxiemom signature
Weiner dogs are wonderful!

"Wants may be easily satisfied either by producing much or desiring little." -Cronin
Old doxiemom

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 66
doxiemom is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-04-03 , 07:08 PM

How did I remember that? I'm a nerd. I have a framed copy of the invitation right here!

doxiemom signature
Weiner dogs are wonderful!

"Wants may be easily satisfied either by producing much or desiring little." -Cronin
Old manhattan01

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
manhattan01 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 11-04-03 , 08:12 PM

Doxie, now that I've read the layout of your invitation, it looks perfectly fine! I'll suggest this to my fiance and see what she thinks. Maybe I should have taken a creative writing course in University...Thanks guys!

-spencer

manhattan01 signature
Love is an irresistible desire to be irresistibly desired
- Frost
Read Messages in: Planning a Wedding All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Anyone get married in Hawaii by Scintillate
Up a Topic white Argyle diamonds posted in DIAMONDS by aquila
Older:
Down a Topic Theme Poll by AlSquared
Down a Topic Melissa posted in DIAMONDS by MrCulvert