Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old pauleroni

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
pauleroni is on a distinguished road

Custom e-ring: Deciding between 2 designs
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-18-10 , 06:34 PM

I am a fairly new registered member to the forum, but not a newcomer Been reading posts across the forum for a while. I am designing a new ring to be built, but have hit a road block...trying to decide between 2 drawings. Attached you'll find the 2 attachments with the 2 different designs. I was absolutely set on "image 17" (top 2 drawings) but then drew "image 20" (all different views of this ring attached below except top 2 drawings which are "image 17")...wanted to get you opinion when the ring is made

Last edited by pauleroni : 05-18-10 at 06:35 PM.
Attached Images
image 17.jpg image 20.jpg

Jewelry Search:

Category:  Budget:  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 479
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=247, In=1

Re: Custom e-ring: Deciding between 2 designs
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-19-10 , 02:29 AM

What size are the stones?

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old pauleroni

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-19-10 , 06:53 AM

Center is .66 and the 2 sidestones are .21, .20

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 273
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16867, In=5946
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-19-10 , 10:36 AM

I like the bottom design, but to clean it up a slight bit, I might make the .20 and the .21 ct. set in a shared prong on one side and 2 prongs on the other side. You could even do an eight prong head in the middle which looks very nice as well. Here are a couple of examples.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Last edited by Jan : 05-19-10 at 10:41 AM.
Attached Images
02-ARTCARVED-31-V194ERD-E_XL_D.JPG 02-ARTCARVED-31-V219ERD-E_XL_D.JPG

Old pauleroni

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-19-10 , 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan
I like the bottom design, but to clean it up a slight bit, I might make the .20 and the .21 ct. set in a shared prong on one side and 2 prongs on the other side.

Thanks...I originally wanted the .20 and .21 to share the prongs for the center diamond, however, a local jeweler said this wouldn't be possible. Attached is what I am talking about...thoughts? Possible?

Attached Images
image 15.jpg

Old Jan

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 273
Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute Jan has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=16867, In=5946
Referrals: 24

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-19-10 , 11:05 AM

I think it is possible to share the prongs.

Jan signature
For those that want to know the TRUTH about diamonds, just ask

Diamond Brokers of Florida
Old shireeodiz

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Engagement Ring

My Karma
shireeodiz will become famous soon enough

Certainly possible...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-19-10 , 11:34 AM

A good designer and an expert diamond setter can indeed make the ring exactly as you intend it to be. #15 is a truly unique and beautiful setting and I think you should keep with what you are looking for. Having 4 prongs for each diamond would mean more gold than diamonds, especially with the side stones. Are you looking for just the setting to be made, or the entire ring? How did you decide on the sizes for the stones - are they your own?

Shiree Odiz

Old pauleroni

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Re: Certainly possible...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-19-10 , 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeodiz
A good designer and an expert diamond setter can indeed make the ring exactly as you intend it to be. #15 is a truly unique and beautiful setting and I think you should keep with what you are looking for. Having 4 prongs for each diamond would mean more gold than diamonds, especially with the side stones. Are you looking for just the setting to be made, or the entire ring? How did you decide on the sizes for the stones - are they your own?

Shiree Odiz

Thanks for your reply. And that's great news! I am looking for the entire ring to be made (CAD). I have the 3 stones already purchased a few months back.

Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Re: Certainly possible...
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-19-10 , 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeodiz
A good designer and an expert diamond setter can indeed make the ring exactly as you intend it to be.

Shiree Odiz

Yes, they can, but without some modifications it will not work well. If you look at the rings which Jan has shown, as well as any other well designed ring using prongs, they either have thick prongs or the prongs are tied together with a horizontal ring just below the stones. I've taken Jan's image and added arrows pointing to these rings which hold the prongs together. Without either thick prongs or these rings, your stones will loosen and possibly fall out quite rapidly. If you look at other settings which have independent prongs, that fluted six prong setting of Tiffany's or Stuller's Solstice setting, they all have thicker prong bases which taper up to thinner tips.

Michael_E signature
Attached Images
ARTCARVED upper rails.jpg

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 444
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4437, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-19-10 , 01:43 PM

Design 15 made as pictured (without the horizontal sections in Jan's photo or without the substantial redesign of the base of the prongs as Michael mentioned) is a disaster waiting to happen, period

I have to give your local jeweler some props.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 479
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=247, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 05-19-10 , 01:59 PM

sorry for the seemingly random questions...
*what are the color and clarity of the diamonds?
*what is your ring size?
* what metal do you intend to use?
* are you also designing a matching wedding band?
Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Maltese

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Maltese is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 11-14-10 , 09:03 PM

I've been looking for a V shaped claw setting for a 3 stone ring and like the ones that Jan has pictured. I've been to her website but can't find pics of diamond settings/rings and the prices. Are they hidden or am I looking in the wrong place?

Old Brit

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (49)
Feedback In: 
+29  0
Feedback Out:
+48  0

My Karma
Power: 91
Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute Brit has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=965, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 11-17-10 , 01:34 PM

Hey Maltese! Those rings are not hidden from just you lol. We don't have all our rings that are in stock on the website. We can get some prices and info over to you as well as more pictures if you can send an email to info@dbof.com.

Brit signature
***Specializing In Engagement Rings***
www.dbof.com

http://www.facebook.com/pages/West-...4247?ref=search
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 11-17-10 , 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltese
I've been looking for a V shaped claw setting for a 3 stone ring and like the ones that Jan has pictured.

The claw style of prong tip is something which is done during the final shaping of the prongs and is not something that you'd generally find on commercial images. Any setting that uses prongs can be made with the "claw" tips and if you like the setting that Jan has shown, you might want to inquire with them about having that claw style done on it for you.

Michael_E signature
Old Maltese

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Maltese is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 11-18-10 , 01:31 AM

Thanks Brit. It's good to know that I'm not blind. :-)

I'm having a hard time figuring out what style of ring to buy because my hands are small and I only wear a size 4 ring. They are also curved from arthritis so aren't particularly attractive.

One week I want a 3 stone diamond ring and another week something else. What I like and what actually looks good are often 2 different things. Of course the rings that I both love and look the best are always the most expensive. LOL

Last edited by Maltese : 11-18-10 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Added word.
Read Messages in: Jewelry Design All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Freaking out about designing my ring by Mari78
Up a Topic Yellow Diamond posted in Greet New Members by Patlim25
Older:
Down a Topic Trellis setting for 1 2 carat stone by ELT
Down a Topic New in NYC posted in Greet New Members by KyleG