Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 94
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light
Hits: Out=113, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-09-03 , 06:46 AM

Where did you learn to cut and what are the basic supplies you need to get started hobby cutting / polishing

ancienthills signature
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light ancienthills is a glorious beacon of light

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-09-03 , 06:47 AM

http://www.facetingmachines.com/diamante.shtml

What kind of machine do you need?

Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Nothing at all

My Karma
Power: 68
phoenix will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-23-03 , 09:02 PM

Hi Beth, I started with a brand new Ultra Tec machine. This is the type of question that you most likely will get a completely different answer from everyone who answers. I did my home work and saved up for a very long time. I purchased an Ultra Tech machine package that came with a few Laps, a transfer fixture, dolps and a piece of synthetic spinel as my first stone. The total package cost around $2,700. I love my machine.

There is allot of use equipment out there and a lot of really ingenious people make there own.

Faceting machines.com is a great place to start looking at all the different types of machines and I do a lot of business with them.

Believe it or not cutting is easy, its the polishing that can be tricky some times. The over all concept is fairly easy to pick up, but there are a lot of little nuances that you can only learn with trial an error.

Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-23-03 , 09:05 PM

That post on ebay is a combination cabbing machine and trim saw. That would be for making rounded stones like star sapphires or for slabbing and trimming larger specimens.

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-21-04 , 04:38 PM

Can you tell me a little about how to get started hobby cutting faceted stones?

ancienthills signature
Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

cutting
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 01-21-04 , 05:15 PM

]What type of cutting are you interested in, Faceting or Cabbing. You need specific machines for either, I have both but I am primarily a faceter. Cabbing is not as easy as it looks.

My startup cost for my machine was around $3,000. Cabbing for a good machine and the polish will run you around $1,000 for a good brand new machine.

Like allot of people in the US I taught myself and it wasn’t until the last few years that I have met other get cutters around me and was able to get advise. Where do you live, check to see if you can find a mineral club in your area. I live in Massachusetts and there are 4 or 5 different clubs in my area. I'm also a member of 'the united states faceters guild'.

The supplies you need and my machine came with almost all of them as a package.

the machine, laps (260,600,3000) grits and a polishing lap and polishing powders (cerium oxide and aluminum oxide). I learned to polish with ultra laps which are Mylar films that have aluminum or cerium oxide impregnated on them. Ultra laps have pluses and negatives. They are good to learn on but you get much better results with the regular polishing lap and learning how to use the powders. you will need a transfer fixture, dolping wax or cyanoacrilate adhesive, dolps, and a magnifier.

I think that covers the basic supplys. I have and Ultra tech and if you look at thier package I think you will find all of the stuff I listed and mabie a few extra things.

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 01-21-04 , 06:16 PM

I am interested in faceting. I am not currently in the USA. I get that newsgroup USfaceterslist, but I don't have a clue how to get started or where to link up with others. Where I live, people go to Thialand for a week at the beach no big deal, so I figure that would be an excellent place for sourcing rough. Additionally the country I am in is known for Diamonds and Sapphires.

How do you learn to facet? Are there instructions or a book or by apprenticeship or what? Is it really very difficult? Can you rent the equipment or learn how somewhere before you commit to the expenditure?

ancienthills signature
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 01-21-04 , 07:22 PM

Beth,
Australia is a hotbed of faceting activity. I haven't done it, but I'm sure that if did a web search on faceting in Australia that you'd come up with some good local resources, not to mention some really good faceting materials. Keep us informed on your progress!

Michael E.

Michael_E signature
Old joker

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 79
joker is on a distinguished road

Beth:
Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 01-21-04 , 07:41 PM

Try to find a lapidary club. Most of these clubs are eager to show you how to do faceting, cabbing, and jewelry making.
The book I learned faceting from was "Facet Cutters Handbook" by Edward J. Soukup. ($3.50 when I bought it in 1991).

Joker....

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 01-21-04 , 07:47 PM

Thanks guys. I will check into it and let you know what I find out. There are so many gemstones here that there has to be something like that. I wasn't sure what it would be called or where to begin looking. Oh, and opals I forgot about the opals too, but that is a given. I bet those are harrrrddd to do. I wont think about doing those.

ancienthills signature
Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 01-21-04 , 07:57 PM

beth if you dont mind me asking, what country are you in. If you are in Austrailia faceting is huge there. As a matter of fact there is an international faceting competition kinda like the faceting olympics and I think its alway held in Austrailia.

I started with a book called 'faceting for ameteures' by Glen and Martha Vargas. I have four books from them, the other three are books of diagrams.

You should be able to get this from a 'Barnes and Nobels' if you have them near you or you could order it off of their web site. you can probubly find alot of books on Amazon also.

I taught my seld just from what I had read in books, the 'faceting for ameteurs' and Ultra tech sends and instructional vidio tape. Its not that hard to learn the basics. Cutting is very easy, the polishing can be the really challenging part.

Old phoenix

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 01-21-04 , 08:01 PM

I almost forgot. As far as renting the equipment or if there are classes you can take you have to find out whats in your area. A mineral club is definetly the first place to start. My minerl club is full of members that have be collecting for up to 40 years and as a colabortive I'm sure you can find out what availavle in your area.

P.S. dont mind my spelling Im awfull.

Old ancienthills

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 01-21-04 , 08:20 PM

Pming you Pheonix

ancienthills signature
Old Precisiongem

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 54
Precisiongem is on a distinguished road

rough
Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 09-12-06 , 12:33 PM

One of the more difficult parts of cutting is finding good rough stones to cut. Quartz, and man made materials are always avaialable, but good quality rough is a hard find.
Here is a new source that may help out fellow cutters.
www.preciousafricangems.c om

Old zbiegroup

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Opal

My Karma
Power: 0
zbiegroup is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=79, In=0

diamond laps
Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 03-19-08 , 08:20 PM

What kind of machine and tool do you need?

Old zbiegroup

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Opal

My Karma
Power: 0
zbiegroup is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=79, In=0

lapidary club
Quote this post and reply to it Post#16 @ 03-19-08 , 08:23 PM

Try to find a lapidary club. Most of these clubs are eager to show you how to do faceting, cabbing, and jewelry making.
The book I learned faceting from was "Facet Cutters Handbook" by Edward J. Soukup.
HANS....

Read Messages in: Lapidary All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Question about diamond powder by Ilzho
Up a Topic Question about diamond powder posted in Lapidary by Ilzho
Older:
Down a Topic How to cut a sapphire Start to Finish by Michael_E
Down a Topic How to cut a sapphire Start to Finish posted in Lapidary by Michael_E