Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 43facets

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
43facets is on a distinguished road

Re: RE : wedding gift etiquette.. how much to give?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#51 @ 10-03-02 , 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mike12175
:

Had to edit - I forgot one thing - That $1109 base payment requires a downpayment of 20% - OR $46,000 - Not exactly chump change for someone makeing 55k (using your example)

20%? You're going to the wrong bank. A friend of mine told me about a 20 something couple - husband a doctor - was financed an over 300k house at 100% financing.

Old 43facets

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 56
43facets is on a distinguished road

Re: Folks: it's like the Debeers thing
Quote this post and reply to it Post#52 @ 10-03-02 , 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by marsmannix
I was married in a beautiful antebellum mansion furnished with antiques, owned by my university's foundation. Cost? ZERO. My whole wedding cost less than $2000 total. (but i did take it up the [bleep] on photography due to my penuriousness)

Anyway--I don't have much sympathy for folks who cry about $20K weddings, when it has been demonstrated that with a little ingenuity and legwork, that amount can be substantially reduced.
Then you have more dough for house, travel, etc.

mars

I'm with you on this one! Don't buy into the published "fantasy" wedding - create your own.

I have too say by saying "antebellum" I am assuming that you were married in the South. It's very different down here - in the Northeast you are expected to have these lavish sit down dinners.

I would love to see a Nor'easter -break tradition and have a lovely tasteful reception at an historic building w/ heavy horderves, classical string band, etc.

Old Mike12175

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 50
Mike12175 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=147, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#53 @ 10-03-02 , 10:04 AM

Quote:
43 Facets = 20%? You're going to the wrong bank. A friend of mine told me about a 20 something couple - husband a doctor - was financed an over 300k house at 100% financing.

I know that you can fully finance a house! It's just that in the context of the thread, we were talking about a specific house and what the paments would be for an average single income family. The specific house payment of $1,106 was derivied using a 20% downpayment of $46,000. Payments would probably be around $1350 to $1500 a month without the down payment on this house. It would depend upon the rate (usually higher with no downpayment) and PMI....

Old dd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
dd is on a distinguished road

ah Maria D,
Quote this post and reply to it Post#54 @ 10-03-02 , 10:07 AM

but have you been to Attleboro lately?

This housing post is hard to follow because it's split between 2 threads.

But I'm writing this comment after the one I wrote in the "things we hate at wedding posts".

As a newcomer to Boston, I'm paying what I pay to live in town and work in town because I'm enjoying the experience of city life. If we look at buying, I'd not consider a town like Attleboro. What's the point in adding an hour and a half to my commute time to live in a place with few ammenities and a lot of social problems. When I visited a friend in Attleboro in 99, a man on drugs tried to break in on us! And Revere--give me a break. If I'm starting a family, I want a safe place, not a much higher crime rate than I had as a renter.

Don't get me wrong Maria. I'm not slamming you at all--we usually agree on a lot here on DT. Just frustrated about what you can get on the 55K salary you listed. When you look at all the schooling and loans needed to approach that salary, it's hard to be happy at the thought of living in an area that is so much less desirable than the middle class neighborhoods I grew up in the South in the 70's and 80's. I'm not even talking about doing better than my parents did--I'm talking about staying middle class! I work in higher education, and my salary did not nearly increase in proportion to the living expenses when I moved from Georgia to Boston. In fact, my school is one of the few in the city that can match the Univ. system of Georgia's pay scale. So it's tough, really tough to think about buying here.

dd

Old Maria-D

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Maria-D is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#55 @ 10-03-02 , 01:03 PM

Mike, no fair editing after I've gone to bed. No, $46K is not chump change. It takes time, discipline and dedication to a goal to save up that kind of money. It may mean *foregoing* the $25K wedding, the "carat or better" ring, new cars, cell phones blah blah blah. I agree with you that the market in Massachusetts is outrageous right now. But this is not the first time it's been like this. My mother's condo (in a south shore town) was purchased for $40K in 1979. In the market peak of the '80s units were selling in her complex for $300K! Then it crashed and prices went down to the $120s and now they are back up at around $200K. What have salaries been doing in that time? When I graduated in '83 with an eng'g degree, starting salaries were $25K and interest rates were sky high. Needless to say, I had to rent for many years. My point is still that things aren't suddenly unlike we've ever seen them now that it's 2002. Then as now you had to sacrifice in some areas to have more in others.

dd, I agree with you totally on living near where you work. It is a shame that certain occupations don't pay what they should. I read in the Globe that Falmouth (Cape Cod) is thinking of constructing faculty housing at the *high school* because teachers can't afford to live there anymore. I can understand your frustration. I don't have reason to go to Attleboro but I do still have family on both the north & south shore of MA and visit often. I wouldn't want to live in Attleboro either...for one thing -- they tore down Jolly Cholly's! Which, by the way, I only remember as a young child. I'm not that old!

43facets said it well, we all want everything and we want it now.

got kind of off-track here, didn't we!

Oh, Mike, thanks for the website! And as for Maine, I think it could be even worse than what you hear. Here's some advice: remember that the term "rustic" is not an architectural style in Maine. It does not mean log cabins with exposed ceiling beams. It means no running water and an outhouse with a wasp hive. So when someone offers you the use of their rustic cabin in the Maine woods-- SAY NO!!!!

Maria D

Old Mike12175

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Mike12175 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=147, In=0

RE : wedding gift etiquette.. how much to give?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#56 @ 10-03-02 , 01:10 PM

Just have to be fair & defend all my friends in NORTH ATTELBORO (Jolle Cholle's was here) - This is a separate town - separate government, etc. from the town of ATTLEBORO - which is being discussed as a not so nice place to live. North Attleboro is demographically very different from the town it broke away from 110 or so ago.

Example home being built in NA today - Nice neighborhood of about 300 homes...

http://www.realtor.com/FindHome/Hom...rc=RSR_PROPPHOT

Old Maria-D

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#57 @ 10-03-02 , 01:25 PM

There you go, the McMansion on a 1/2 acre! 6 bedrooms -- oh that's necessary. Mike, I know it's not your fault that this is the kind of thing that is creating the new "nice" neighborhoods, but I think it's sad. It takes two incomes slaving away so much that they barely see the place. And it drives up the values of 3 bedr ranches in crappy areas.

Maria D

Hey, they better not have torn down Jolly Cholly's to build that pretentious development!!!

Last edited by Maria-D : 10-03-02 at 01:28 PM.
Old Maria-D

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#58 @ 10-03-02 , 02:55 PM

oops, I was too late to edit a typo. The house that Mike linked to only has 5 bedrooms.

Old dd

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
dd is on a distinguished road

hahaha
Quote this post and reply to it Post#59 @ 10-03-02 , 03:02 PM

Maria,

This Jolly Cholly thing is just to much! Sorry I missed that one. To think that folks around here give me strange looks when I try to explan the Shoney's big boy to them!

As far as N. Attleboro vs. Attleboro goes, it all the same to me! I don't have any sentimental attachments here to places, no family. So I can't find any lure to a lot of towns around here. Another good friend just spent 2 years trying to get rid of her house in N. Attleboro.

dd

Old Mark54g

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 52
Mark54g is on a distinguished road

well
Quote this post and reply to it Post#60 @ 10-07-02 , 02:02 AM

This in from my mother, she wants to make sure there is enough food because people will give approximately what they think will cover their head + a bit more......then proceed to force food down their gullets into what they think will even them out. 40 shrimp? oh yeah.

Old TheGuru

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Wedding Ring

My Karma
TheGuru is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=516, In=1

Incredible prices!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#61 @ 11-13-02 , 06:41 PM

WOW!

I am stupified ... dumbfounded ... and speechless.

I am South African (you guys should take a visit - Cape Town is WONDERFUL, and incredibly affordable for Americans and Europeans), and just for reference, the average wedding gift would be in the region of $25. And this would get something reasonably substantial.

A wedding for +-150 people, on a wine farm, with live band, good food, great South African wine, etc etc would set one back under $10000. This includes EVERYTHING - probably the dress too, for which most people pay less than $1000 for something custom made.

Housing costs - well, for $250k you could get a fantastic 2 or 3 bedroom house with a sea view, double parking garage, swimming pool, garden ...
I know of a MAGNIFICENT, huge 4-bedroom house, swimming pool, garden, STUNNING! 180deg panoramic view of the beach, double parking garage, location couldn't be better if you tried ... $500k ... (It's on the market now - PM me

What's the catch?`
Well, the average middle-class earner takes home under $25k/year.

But the weather is wooooooooonderful

G

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Read Messages in: Gift Registries All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Welcome by GilbertZ
Up a Topic Light leakage question posted in DIAMONDS by corpuscle
Older:
Down a Topic Bridal Registry by cmar
Down a Topic Need help with diamond size Experts posted in DIAMONDS by myers368