Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old SamC

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
SamC is on a distinguished road

Which polishing lap to use?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 11-12-05 , 06:54 AM

I've just started some gem-cutting as a hobby and am having problems polishing a few stones like Zircon. I've heard you're supposed to use a plastic lap but this does not seem to work well. Does anybody have a list on what laps work best for what gemstones?

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old auplatinumman

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:

My Karma
Power: 74
auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about auplatinumman has a spectacular aura about
Hits: Out=324, In=2

Re: Which polishing lap to use?
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 11-12-05 , 01:37 PM

Are you using diamond paste?
I know only a little about cutting, but the laps have to be charged with paste in order to work.

auplatinumman signature
Have you hugged your goldsmith today?
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 281
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2545, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 11-12-05 , 02:25 PM

HI Sam,
Throw away any idea of using a plastic lap. They work O.K., but they merely extend your time of frustration in obtaining a really good polish, as they only work for some things. Go to any of the internet lapidary suppliers and get yourself a couple of BATT laps. These are a hardened tin lap that works really well when they are properly embedded with diamond compound. You need at least two of them in order to get the appropriate pre-polish. Here's my cutting sequence for cutting and polishing everything:

1. Rough cut to form with 600 grit.
2. Final form with 1200 or 3000 (on Batt or ceramic, depending on the material being cut)
3. Prepolish with 8k or 14K on batt or ceramic, (this step is REALLY critical).
4. Final polish with 100K on Batt

If you go to Yahoo groups and sign up for the USFG Faceters Digest you will get more information than you can digest in a year. Well worth your time, but if you want to cut your learning curve short, the above methods work well. Remember that zircon is really brittle and that it can be severely damaged, microscopically, by the use of a lap that is too coarse, (NEVER use anything coarser than 360 and that's pushing it). This means that you won't be able to see the subsurface damage until you start to polish and then the "suction" of the polish lap will suck pieces right out of the surface and facet junctions and ROLL them right across your almost polished facet. This can cause problems that take years to figure out, so I've just saved you a couple of years of pain and frustration. If you have any particular questions, send me an e-mail or ask on the Faceters Digest, (be prepared to read a lot of opinions !).

Michael_E signature
Old SamC

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
SamC is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 11-13-05 , 12:34 AM

Excellent advice, thanks a lot!

Old briolette

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: Anklet

My Karma
Power: 128
briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute briolette has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 01-06-06 , 06:27 PM

Michael_e said it best. Batt laps are great.

I would also suggest a treated ceramic lap like "Pol a Laps" made by Glenn Vargas if you can get your hands on them. I've recall having success getting a flat polish with zircon using that type of lap although it has been a little while. I don't' get zircon rough all that often. It is true the better your prepolish is, the more successful you will be in the final polish.

Old zbiegroup

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Opal

My Karma
zbiegroup is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=79, In=0

Hello, Sam
Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 03-19-08 , 08:59 PM

I agree Mr.Michael advising.You also can use a laps call Dyna.

Old FirstWater

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
FirstWater is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 02-24-09 , 01:57 AM

My last stone cut was a zircon- raytech 1200 to BATT 3000 to diamond 50K on a lightning lap with a layer of trewax polish and water to rid the slurry. But the table was a problem and a friend tried a corian lap with voodoo polish- worked like a charm in under two minutes.

Read Messages in: Lapidary All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Setting gemstones by LagunaMom
Up a Topic totally diamonds posted in Greet New Members by AmrinderSingh
Older:
Down a Topic Star diamond lapidary unit by cindyring
Down a Topic Prism Gem Clarity Enhancement posted in DIAMONDS by alwayswondering