Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old goldy1

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
goldy1 is on a distinguished road

Cushion cut sapphire. Need opinion!!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-11-06 , 09:10 PM

Hello All,

I just purchased at 1.68 cushion cut sapphire that I love. It's not too dark or too light. The price was $450.

I had my jeweler make the ring. He just finished it and I'm not happy. He placed the stone in a victory style setting with the double prongs on each corner. The prongs really take away from the ring. I specifically told him I didn't like those type of prongs. I thought he was going to let me see the mold before he made the ring but he called me after he completed the ring.

How should I go about telling him I'm not happy and need it changed? I'll pay a little extra since he has to put in more work. The total for the ring, stone, and work was $900. The ring also has small diamonds on the split shank.

I know I like the basket setting, single prongs, and also thin band with 1 row diamonds. Do I tell him to melt down the setting and restart? Or just change the prongs?

Please give me some opinions.

Thank you!!!!!!

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask Forum page.

Gemstone Search:

Budget:  

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 469
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=154, In=1

Re: Cushion cut sapphire. Need opinion!!!!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-11-06 , 09:31 PM

do you have a picture of the ring to show us? Welcome to DiamondRing btw!!

Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old RubyMu

My Profile
Years:

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Karma
Power: 145
RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute RubyMu has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=10, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-11-06 , 09:34 PM

Hi Goldy

I think if you told him you didn't want the double prongs and he went ahead and did it anyway then you are entitled to have it redone. It's your money after all.

Probably one of those situations where a little bit of tact goes a long way though.

We would love to see pics...

Old goldy1

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
goldy1 is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-11-06 , 09:52 PM

Hello Iriah & Ruby. Thank you for the reply. I tried to take some pictures but it's all blurry.

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 469
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=154, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-11-06 , 10:46 PM

goldy,
I think I'm confused.. Did he design the ring based on a specific picture you gave him, or did you pick it from a catalog??

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Michael_E

My Profile
Network Jeweler : offline
Years:

My Feedback (23)
Feedback In: 
+14  0
Feedback Out:
+23  0

My Store
509-663-6488
Diamonds: 1
Gemstones: 10

My Karma
Power: 272
Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute Michael_E has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=2342, In=1
Referrals: 3

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-11-06 , 10:59 PM

goldy1,
You need to find out why he made it that way. If the stone has rounded corners then there is just no way to properly set it in single prongs and expect it to stay in the setting. This is because the stone can twist very easily with a single prong setting and then it's bye-bye to the stone. With round corners on a squarish or rectangular stone you absolutely have to have some method of keeping the stone from twisting. Those methods are double prongs, bezel setting or some design which can capture the corners of the stone.

I have this sort of discussion all the time with people who feel that they should be able to do whatever they think would look good, (even if it won't work). You really need to remember that any setting needs to be engineered to hold that stone properly for a long time and to stand up to all sorts of abuse. Sometimes what you think would look good, just won't work for all of the other requirements that a ring is expected to meet. Please talk to your jeweler and see what reasons he has for making it this way, BEFORE getting too upset. A little flexibility in these situations will often get you a much better product in the end.

Michael_E signature
Read Messages in: GEMSTONES All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Anyone know what these stones are by iceblink
Up a Topic Princess vs Radiant posted in DIAMONDS by FredinNM
Older:
Down a Topic WOW Check out these rough stone prices by Michael_E
Down a Topic Liz Claiborne Jewelry for children recalled due to lead posted in JEWELRY by GilbertZ