Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Carriebelle

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
Carriebelle is on a distinguished road

Hello, it's nice to be here!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 05-03-05 , 02:38 PM

Hello! I am new to the forum, but have enjoyed reading the posts. I am attempting to educate myself as much as possible about diamonds, but am a bit fuzzy on some of the finer points. It is not always easy to determine whether to nudge color or clarity one way or another for the best value (and for my budget).

I would appreciate opinions on whether this ring would be a good value, and also whether it would look as I hope it will; eye clean, not noticably yellow and sparkly. I have had some bad experiences lately trying to find and trust jewelers. Our 25th anniversary is coming up, and I would like something really special. I also don't have a ton of money to spend. Sound familiar?

Here are the specs on the ring:

18K Yellow Gold 1 Ct Diamond Wedding Band

Diamond Information
Cut: Round
Color: I
Quantity: 5 Clarity: SI
Carat: 1
Setting: Prong

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ring Information
Metal: 18K Yellow
Width: 3.5mm
Appraised at $1295 Weight: 2.5 grams
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

18K Yellow Gold Diamond Wedding Band is adorned with 1 Ct. of Round, Brilliant Cut Natural Diamonds. All Diamonds are I in color and SI in clarity for maximum fire and brilliance. Stones are secured inside prong settings.

Cost: $425.00

The cost may explain why I am a bit leery about the ring. On the other hand, the seller offers a 100% Money Back Guarantee, with no restocking charge if I am not pleased with the ring.

I will attempt to attach a pic to this post, but I have not done it before and will hopefully do it right the first time (she said, laughing hysterically).

Thanks in advance for your opinions and advice. I appreciate it!

Carrie

The preceding form was filled out on our Ask DT page.

Attached Images
DiamondRing.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old toothfairy

My Profile
View profile photo
Years:
Last seen wearing: 3 stone diamond ring

My Karma
Power: 64
toothfairy is on a distinguished road

Re: Hello, it's nice to be here!
Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 05-03-05 , 03:14 PM

The ring in the picture is quite pretty..but something sounds fishy about a 18kt gold ring, 1 CTTW diamonds for $425...remember, you get what you pay for. And btw, WELCOME!

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=240, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 05-03-05 , 03:44 PM

Hello Carriebelle and welcome to our little corner of the world..
I tend to agree with toothfairy on this...I'd ask the seller-
* who appraised the ring,
* ask to see a copy of the appraisal. I notice that the size stats for the stones is missing, so I'm guessing what has been given is a generalized appraisal..
* Also ask if the picture is the actual ring...

There are more things to ask but I won't bother until you get a response first about the appraisal...

irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Old Carriebelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 05-03-05 , 07:21 PM

Thanks toothfairy and irish! I will ask the questions of the seller and see what kind of answers I get. I'll let you know the specifics when I get them. I appreciate your help!

Carrie

Old Carriebelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 05-03-05 , 07:46 PM

I should have posted the seller's website in my earlier post. It's www.pompeii3.com. They have quite a bit of information there. They use Standard Diamond Services for their appraisals. I will still ask the specific questions, but I thought this might help.

I can't help it. Their prices seem SO low, but they have a good rating on eBay and have sold over 1900 items. I am definitely a skeptic, and think that "caveat emptor" should be a required subject in school. I will be very interested in the answers they give me. Thanks again!

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4238, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 05-03-05 , 10:32 PM

Hi Carriebelle,

Welcome to DT.

The diamonds will be very low quality, I would recommend passing on this deal.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Carriebelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 05-04-05 , 01:25 PM

Thanks for all the replies. I agree wholeheartedly that caution is the word for the day. I have contacted 3 people who bought this exact ring from the seller in the past, to see what they have to say. That will be interesting reading. I have also contacted a few customers who bought similar pieces. On the positive side, there is a 100% guaranteed refund if the customer is not pleased and they appear to honor that without question. If I chose to take a chance with this ring, I would be out time, energy and s/h if it was not as expected, but not the purchase price. I admit I am intrigued.

Ordinarily, I would agree that 3 negative feedbacks in a month would not indicate a good seller. After being on eBay for eight years, I have learned that it's important to read the specific feedbacks for more information. I am amazed at how many people leave negative feedbacks who do not realize how to use the feedback system properly, or who complain about a seller because the buyer did not pay attention to the auction description. For example, the auction descriptions for a company plainly state that if an item is engraved, there will be a restocking fee if it is returned. To complain about that after the fact would suggest the buyer did not read or fully comprehend the purchase agreement. I choose to look at the big picture overall, rather than use only numbers to make a decision.

It will be very interesting to see what kind of information is forthcoming. I'll let you know what I find out. Thanks again.

Carrie

Old BrianKnox

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Cordovan shoes with white socks
Visit my blog :  August?s Custom Engagement Ring Spotlight

My Feedback (21)
Feedback In: 
+18  0
Feedback Out:
+21  0

My Karma
Power: 443
BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute BrianKnox has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=4238, In=260
Referrals: 23

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 05-04-05 , 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriebelle

I would appreciate opinions on whether this ring would be a good value, and also whether it would look as I hope it will; eye clean, not noticably yellow and sparkly. I have had some bad experiences lately trying to find and trust jewelers...

1.00 carat total weight (5 diamonds) SI clarity and I color diamonds will cost a jeweler approximately twice what they are selling this ring for, never mind the 18K ring.

If it was a private party with excellent history, I might say go for it.

Because they are in the industry, that tells me that the diamonds are not as stated.

They are hoping to "puppy dog" the sale, in that once the ring is on your finger that you will find it acceptable and not return it.

This means that the people you contact that kept the ring are probably going to say that the ring is OK.

What else can they say? , their ego is directly linked to their decision to keep the ring.

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences with jewelers, but please do not consider your experiences with companies such as the one in question to be representative of experiences with jewelers, especially when jewelers on this forum are telling you that the deal as you descibed can only be a scam.

I am simply trying to prevent another bad experience.

Brian

BrianKnox signature
Knox Jewelers / Minneapolis, Minnesota
Knoxrings.com 1-888-347-4493
Old Carriebelle

My Profile
Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 05-04-05 , 05:31 PM

Lauren and Brian, THANK YOU.

You will be glad to know that you have both helped me recall that I should use the brain God gave me (and it IS in there, somewhere). Sheesh, what a case of desperately wanting something I know cannot be true.

Not to get sappy, but I have longed for a ring like that for a very long time, and the past couple years suggest that I perhaps have earned it. The problem is that I don't believe in buying a ring before we replace the furnace, buy my inch-a-month growing son more clothing, pay into the college fund or assist my elderly parents more than they'll ever know. Rats. It's such a shame I don't feel comfortable living on credit.

I will write on the blackboard 100 times: "If it seems too good to be true, it probably is." And I actually knew that earlier. I really did. I guess I need a vacation so badly that my brain went without me. I didn't notice it was missing for a day or so. It's back now and I know I was just kidding myself.

Brian, you are so right about human nature. The same spike in brainwaves that had me believing this could be a true deal, is the same one that reinforces a person's regrettable decisions.

It's the one that comes into play when someone asks my opinion on something. Depending on the subject, they might mean it. There are other times when they should actually say: "I want your opinion, but if you don't say what I want to hear, I don't really want your opinion." Hm, sounds a bit familiar. I really wanted to hear that this was a great deal. If it were true, and I would actually get the diamonds that were described, it would be. Unfortunately I know that there might be companies out there that would send hazy, filled stones, with prongs over bad inclusions, and who knows what else, and call them SI with good color. And there would be people who would look at that ring and say, "Gee, it's not so bad, and it was such a good price."

Thank you again for refusing to let another silly person cross in front of a moving train. Would you care to share your opinions on CZs? I almost feel it's heresy to ask experienced jewelers about them. I just know that the ring I want is not feasable financially. It has nothing to do with having to have a one carat ring, or anything such as that. It has to do with knowing the size of stones that make me smile and feel special. Spreading the one carat out to 7 stones rather than 5 is fine, but when it hits 11 or more, it's just not the same. I don't care about 18k, either. I prefer the softer color of 14k. If either of you care to share about CZs, or could direct me to where I should research or buy (or not buy), I would appreciate it very much. Thanks again.

The Ever Humble Carrie

Old irish

My Profile
Years:
Last seen wearing: Diamond

My Feedback (2)
Feedback In: 
+2  0
Feedback Out:
+2  0

My Collection
Items Listed: 3

My Karma
Power: 478
irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute irish has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=240, In=1

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 05-04-05 , 11:22 PM

Carrie I enjoyed reading your posts very much...you are a smart lady. As for the info about cz, Simstalk is the alternate forum for simulants--unfortunately it is currently down because we haven't quite recovered from the overall crash we suffered...
In the meantime, I'll answer your questions with the expectation that this post will get moved later...
CZs are loved by many, and others don't care for them at all. It's a personal preference. And we all have our favorites... Mine are Cashmere (a warm toned handcut stone) done by Michael_E, the Van-Graff "D" ideal H&A done by Juan Manuel Lozano, and the Interlap (gotten by almost any jeweler) is an inexpensive, reasonable stand-in for the other two.

If you go to Michael's or Juan's sites (they are both Network Jewelers), you'll see that they've both made rings like your dream ring and you'll be able to afford them..) I wouldn't hesitate to use either of these gentlemen...

Hope this helps, Irish

irish signature
LOVE is a commitment not a feeling. author unknown

Support U.S. gem cutters and jewelry manufacturers
Read Messages in: DIAMONDS All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Scintillation Rating in BrillianceScope by DonnaYoungCats
Up a Topic Scintillation Rating in BrillianceScope posted in DIAMONDS by DonnaYoungCats
Older:
Down a Topic Q for diamond vendors by pkarhu
Down a Topic Q for diamond vendors posted in DIAMONDS by pkarhu