Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Diamond Engagement Rings at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
8131 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=7

Quote this post and reply to it Post#26 @ 01-29-04 , 12:31 AM

Rodentman:

Hell I don't know, at my age I haven't heard a watch tick in over 40 years. Today I was trying to determine why the ice maker wasn't making ice in the Sub Zero refrigerator (I know, you don't need refrigerators up there), I called the plumber on my cell phone and he asked me if I could hear the water in the lines! You can hear water running in lines? I called one of my young employees to listen for me, so I guess I could wear both the Bentley and the Super Avenger tomorrow and ask one of them if they can hear any difference.

BTW, what's an automatic watch suppose to sound like so I can tell them what they are listening for?

I bought computerized time clocks for my job sites, and the men are supposed to log in and out with colored key chain fobs. I kept getting multiple and missing logins, the manufacturer told me to listen for three beep tones at login, I can't hear a thing so how am I suppose to tell them what to listen for? Now the IRS wants me to login as well (they insist that I have to pay myself, I can't work for my own corporation for free anymore, they want the self employment SS and Medicare taxes from me when most men my age collect SS and Medicare!), but I can't hear the beeps to tell when I am successfully logged in. Kind of like hearing one of those non-existent watch alarms, I think.

Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#27 @ 01-31-04 , 12:08 PM

Rodentman:

Test complete. After the test that showed the Bentley ran 48 hours and 10 minutes lying on it's back, the next test lasted 51 hours and 50 minutes wearing the watch 16 hours per day. It actually was put down at 11:00 PM and stopped at 3:00 AM, so it only ran 4 hours after wearing it all day. It doesn't appear to be self winding at all. Obviously it's got to be sent in for repair, is the guy on TZ right that it should be sent to Mark Heist in lieu of BUSA?

Old MsDarlinJoy

My Profile
Turquoise : offline
Years:

My Karma
MsDarlinJoy is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#28 @ 01-31-04 , 01:33 PM

RM ~

I wanted to say ...

"WOW! I love your Glashütte and your new strap is awesome"!

Very, very .... N' ICE!

Have a wonderful day!
Joy

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 183
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#29 @ 01-31-04 , 01:42 PM

I've heard good and bad about BUSA and virtually every other factory service center. I personally prefer to use locally owned businesses, preferably ones that will let me in the door. Absent that, I would use a reliable and reputable after market factory authorized center not affiliated with the company, since I feel the service is more personal and faster.

I do not know Mark H, but I read that he is top notch. Therefore I would not hesitate using him. Clearly the self winding module is hosed.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#30 @ 01-31-04 , 08:32 PM

Just glad I got my paperwork, finally. Is Looie sober today?

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#31 @ 01-31-04 , 08:51 PM

Looie? Yeah, he's around here somewhere. He's not in his cage. I don't hear any moaning or groaning so he must be sleeping. Alone.

There is a whirring sound as the rotor of an auto wind watch rotates. But even if you heard that, there'n no guarantee that it is properly turning the gears to effectuate (that's a Howard Cosell word) the winding. Best have a qualified watchmaker look at it, painful as it will be to send it away. I have so many watches that 1 or more are almost always gone. Right now I await the Chronoswiss (which had to go back to Germany for rregulation) and the Raymond Weil which went to NYC for a case repolish.

rodentman signature
Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#32 @ 01-31-04 , 08:56 PM

MsJoy, thank you! It's very special to have a watch where the movement is designed by the mfr and all the movement parts are made in house by them. Even the little dinky screws. Glashütte is called a "manufacture" in the trade. It means that they do just what I described. There are a few (and only a few) other watch companies who do it that way. They are Rolex, Audemars Piguet, Vacheron Constantin, Jaeger Le Coultre, and some true Mom and Pops, like F.P. Journe...I am sure my list is not complete, but it is close.

Some companies like IWC make some of their movements in house. They also buy ETA (Swatch Group) ebauches (kits) and build them up from the baseplates with their own parts. It's virtually an in house movement, but purists will argue.

Disnonirregardless, it's almost as special to me as Looie, and that's saying something. It's also an acquired taste....

rodentman signature
Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#33 @ 01-31-04 , 08:57 PM

I guess I'll just have to wear the Super Avenger for awhile. See, a guy must have several watches.

Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#34 @ 01-31-04 , 08:59 PM

RM, does Patek make any of their movements in-house?

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#35 @ 01-31-04 , 09:14 PM

Oh yeah, how could I forget them. Well of course they are the premier in house manufacture, if you can afford them.

I understand they just had a price increase and that was in Europe! Wait until it gets translated into the weak USD.

Their basic yellow gold dress watch, the Calatrava, starts at about 13K. They have a few SS models at about 10K, but frankly they never appealed to me. The movements are so finely made with such low friction that their mainsprings are almost like hairsprings! They don't take bumps and knocks very well either. And, as I am sure you will agree, they are TOO small.

rodentman signature
Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#36 @ 01-31-04 , 09:18 PM

RM:

I'd love to own one, but now that I am use to these big watches a PP just wouldn't feel right. But, Looie has rather small wrists, how about buying him one now that he's the official mascot?

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#37 @ 01-31-04 , 09:46 PM

I'd need to take up a collection from DT members to afford a Patek for Looie. And knowing him, he'd use it to just to impress some young bimbo at the bar.

I am trying to talk him staying home with me tonight since there is no one else here. I told him he could wear the gold IWC for an hour.

rodentman signature
Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#38 @ 01-31-04 , 09:51 PM

For impressing bimbos at the bar the best watch money can buy is a yellow gold Rolex President on a bracelet. Get the poor guy one of those, most gals at the tavern never heard of a Patek. Let the poor guy have some fun, squirrels do what squirrels got to do.

Read Messages in: Watches Photo Gallery All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic When posting in Photo Gallery threads by yogimel
Up a Topic DJ In Staten Island posted in NY by TinaD0215
Older:
Down a Topic Mesh bracelet by rodentman
Down a Topic Vatche Set Does anyone have this posted in DIAMONDS by jb1976