Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
8131 is on a distinguished road
Hits: Out=0, In=7

Quote this post and reply to it Post#1 @ 09-22-03 , 02:08 AM

Rodentman:

I am thinking of buying a Chronoswiss Opus 18K Rose Gold watch. I like the shiny bezel, crown and pushers, but the matte finish on the sides of the "tuna fish can" and the back of the watch looks like copper to me. Can a jeweler polish out the matte finsh to be bright like the bezel, crown and pushers?

Another alternative would be to order the watch in Yellow Gold, and see if they would install a Rose Gold bezel, crown and pushers. Do watch manufacturers accept such custom order requests?

I know Itbit mixes her gold colors, if she is around, I would be interested in her opinion.

Attached Images
chronoswiss matte ii.jpg

Diamond Search:

Carat:  to  Color:  to  Clarity:  to  

Old rodentman

My Profile
DRC Watch Expert : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Rolex Seadweller

My Collection
Items Listed: 1

My Karma
Power: 182
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute
Hits: Out=191, In=0

Quote this post and reply to it Post#2 @ 09-22-03 , 10:31 AM

Sure a jeweler can polish the matte finish. I have an IWC Portugueser in red gold which is quite striking in polished/brushed finish. It sounds like they wouldn't even need to remove the movement to do that polishing. Should be straightforward...

I don't think it would look good with 2 colors of gold. I don't know if CW would do a custom job like that or if an auth dealer can get the parts and do it for you.

rodentman signature
I don't have a telescope, but it's something I'm thinking of looking into.
Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#3 @ 09-22-03 , 12:55 PM

RM:

Looking at the watch in the store, the rose gold looks more "coppery" than it does in the picture. Perhaps you could post a picture of your Portugueser, showing the matte against the polished finish? My feeling is that it's the particular alloy that Chronoswiss uses that looks good polished, but not so good in matte finish.

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma
rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute rodentman has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#4 @ 09-22-03 , 01:04 PM

OK, I will do that. I don't have the photos here on this puter but I will do it when I get home. You are correct about different alloys, of course. My Omega RG is darker than the IWC. I will post photos of both.

Here is someone else's photo of the RG Omega...

rodentman signature
Attached Images
omega3623-33-31.jpg

Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#5 @ 09-22-03 , 01:07 PM

Wow, that really looks "coppery".

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#6 @ 09-22-03 , 01:24 PM

Yes, the Omega is quite reddish. I will photograph the Omega and the IWC together so you can see the difference. I like RG over YG. so the "ruddiness" doesn't bother me. I always thought of copper as having a brownish color.

It's all a matter of taste of course. One man's confection is another man's sweet.

rodentman signature
Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#7 @ 09-22-03 , 01:48 PM

RM:

I agree that the RG usually looks better than the YG; however, the matte finish RG has the coppery look (at least in the Chronoswiss and the picture you just posted). I guess it just takes getting use to. Off the subject, I use a lot of copper in buildings I build, and here is a sheet showing the natural weathering process of copper. We always patinize it to take it immediately to the green patina rather than go through 25 years of some pretty ugly browns to get there. Occasionally I get a customer that wants us to put a clear coating on it and hold it to the "shiny penny" look.

http://architecture.copper.org/weathering-chart.html

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#8 @ 09-22-03 , 07:20 PM

OK, here are the two RG watches. The Omega is on the right.

rodentman signature
Attached Images
2golds1.jpg

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#9 @ 09-22-03 , 07:22 PM

And a better shot to show the differences in the gold color.

rodentman signature
Attached Images
pricescopesucks.jpg

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#10 @ 09-22-03 , 07:23 PM

And another.

rodentman signature
Attached Images
dcc sucks.jpg

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#11 @ 09-22-03 , 07:25 PM

They may look the same, but the Omega is a bit darker, or redder. As I said, whether or not someone likes the tone of red gold is highly subjective as well as highly selassie. I like it; others may not.

The "darker" Omega is on the right in all photos.

rodentman signature
Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#12 @ 09-22-03 , 08:18 PM

RM:

It looks quite nice on both of your watches. Since I really like the RG on the Chronoswiss, maybe my dislike of the matte finish on the can has more to do with the way the finish is "grained" (for lack of a better word) than the color.

Would polishing out the matte finish on a watch negatively affect the value of the watch? If so, maybe I should try to get use to it before I have it polished out. On the other hand, maybe I can get the dealer to polish it out as part of the deal.

Have you ever had a watch custom built to your specifications? I build custom homes for people, I just had a custom computer built, why not watches?

Old rodentman

My Profile
Years:

My Collection

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#13 @ 09-22-03 , 09:16 PM

I'd try to keep it original and get used to it. Give it a shot. They can always polish it for you.

rodentman signature
Old Itbit

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:
Last seen wearing: Aquamarine (Beryl)

My Karma
Power: 149
Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute Itbit has a reputation beyond repute

Quote this post and reply to it Post#14 @ 09-23-03 , 03:26 PM

I like the ruddy color of the rose gold.
I don't find the matte finish on the side objectionable, but if you prefer it polished and shiny, then I'd ask if it could be done. I like Rodentman's idea of wearing the watch for a while, and then deciding whether or not to have the sides polished.

Old 8131

My Profile

Years:

My Karma

Quote this post and reply to it Post#15 @ 09-24-03 , 12:11 AM

Itbit:

Looking at the actual watch gives somewhat a different appearance than the picture shows. I have asked the dealer to see if she can get a yellow gold watch in for me to see. She has found that there are none currently aailable, and htere is a wait list for the YG. The yellow gold watch doesn't have the enameled dials, and lacks the contrast of the RG watch. I think I would like to see them side by side before I buy. The pictures below are from the Atlantic Time website, and the RG watch is actually the SS/RG, but looks the same with the face view with the exception of the SS lugs.

Looking at the pictures, I was ready to order the RG (they have the SS/RG in stock), but after looking at the side view of another model with the same "tuna fish can" I thought I would actually like to see the two watches side by side. The SS/RG is beautiful, but I would prefer an 18K watch. I've got enough "sporty" SS/18K watches!

Attached Images
yg vs. rg.jpg

Read Messages in: Watches Photo Gallery All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic Ulysse Nardin by rodentman
Up a Topic Platinum ER with bezel set center diamond posted in JEWELRY by EngraverDave
Older:
Down a Topic Three is a nice number by rodentman
Down a Topic Bob s Flashes – What is real and what is synthetic posted in DIAMONDS by dimonbob