Sign in or Register Home
DiamondRing.comYour Online Jewelry Shopping Network
 Ideal Cut Diamond Studs at James Allen 
Buy Sell Education Forum Directory Blog  
View Recent Products View Posts Ask Us Ask our Network Jewelers for a quote on a diamond/gemstone/jewelry

Post Reply New Thread

Old Pookarina

My Profile
Registered User : offline
Years:

My Feedback (3)
Feedback In: 
+3  0
Feedback Out:
+3  0

My Karma
Power: 85
Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future Pookarina has a brilliant future

Quote this post and reply to it Post#51 @ 02-01-03 , 07:26 PM

Spend it on the honeymoon.
You can have rings updated, upgraded, heirloom, or lost/stolen (like mine) & replaced.
You can have a big wedding or small.
But the honeymoon is the best and most wonderful time.
Stress of the wedding is over- no kids, no schedules, just love and romance and the two of you.
Second honeymoons are not the same, renewals are not the same.
Nothing ever is like that honeymoon.
JMHO.

Old CBK

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 51
CBK is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#52 @ 02-01-03 , 09:01 PM

Our wedding was about $20K not including my gown, veil & grooms attire. My e-ring was $7587, wedding band was $1993, hubby's band was $475. Honeymoon was $7200 for 1 week cruise to Caribbean plus week in sunny Florida (few days before & few days after cruise) - that included ALL (food, drink - yes LOTS of those and play $$$). All in all - the wedding was a bunch of "pomp and circumstance" - if we could do it all over again?? We'd take the money and RUN!

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#53 @ 02-02-03 , 09:49 AM

Gigilum

That's a real pity. Why is you future mil getting so much power? It's usually the other way around in the UK, the mother of the bride wields all the power as the father of the bride is footing the bill

Is she so keen to have everything perfect (in her eyes) because she didn't get what she wanted when she got married? Or as you say, is she really just a control freak? - they do exist. I just wondered if there's any way you can get her on your side.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old gigilum

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 0
gigilum is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#54 @ 02-05-03 , 07:23 AM

Hello Bagpuss,
My MIL has all of the power because she and her husband are footing the bill for everything. They gave him the money for the rings, they will pay for the wedding and honeymoon. My parents were more than willing to pay for a reasonable wedding (no more than $50,000 for 150 people) but my future husband's family does not know the meaning of the word BUDGET. So I will take my mother's advice and just grin and bear it. My fiance is the sweetest guy in the world and he spoils me rotten. I have learned to put up with his parents. OH WELL...

Old Bagpuss

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 67
Bagpuss will become famous soon enough Bagpuss will become famous soon enough
Hits: Out=0, In=1
Referrals: 2

Quote this post and reply to it Post#55 @ 02-05-03 , 10:40 AM

Sounds like your mum is a very wise woman. I'd take her advice as far as the wedding day goes, but if I were you I'd put your foot down afterwards if she tries to interfere with anything else in your married life.

Bagpuss signature
Bagpuss
Old Horizon

My Profile
Years:

My Karma
Power: 68
Horizon is on a distinguished road

Quote this post and reply to it Post#56 @ 02-05-03 , 12:49 PM

Ah, Remembering the Wedding...

I got married 15 years ago in July, wow, it seems like yesterday!!

We had a morning wedding with a sit-down lunch. I did a lot of research, and the sit-down lunch was less than hor'douvres as night.

I had a large wedding for my area, about 250 people, sit down lunch, etc. But I did it ALL for under $6K.

To budget we provided free beer and champagne toast, but had a cash bar. Changed the time to save money. Other than that I just shopped around for cake, dress, flowers, etc.

Since my parents paid for the wedding, we had a very modest honeymoon in Gatlinburg and bought a new house!

I don't regret buying the house vs. a nice honeymoon. We've since upgraded to a house that Gigi's parents-in-law could buy with what they're spending on her wedding

Unfortunately, my husband is rather tight, and always will be- so my engagement diamond is a small pear. I now satisfy my need for size with Sims

Read Messages in: Wedding Issues All forums
Newer:
Up a Topic When Disagreements Leave You Feeling Frustrated by Itbit
Up a Topic Replacement Appraisal Value posted in Appraisal & Insurance by John91C
Older:
Down a Topic Fiance hurt my feelings what would you do by marriahlyn
Down a Topic Help Opinion on Emerald cut with large table posted in DIAMONDS by joejackson99