DiamondRing.com

DiamondRing.com (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/index.php)
-   GEMSTONES (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Majorica Pearls...where can I buy them? (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43717)

sapphirekitty 11-25-03 12:03 PM

I'll be on my cruise soon...and I was wondering if anyone could give me tips on where to lay my hands on a string of nice Majorica pearls, preferably gunmetal grey, or peacock black....

Or, are there any other types of pearls out there (in Miami area stores) that are reasonably priced?

Any stores in particular I can check out? In Miami or: Grand Cayman, Belize city, Cozumel?

thanks!! Trying to get my shopping plans in order!

tieru 11-25-03 12:47 PM

I don't mean to be rude, but why would you want Majorica pearls? They are not real, they are not even cultured.

Having asked this, I will say that the ship I was on in October had them for sale in the "duty free" shop.

I was not real impressed with the shopping in Cozumel, except for a 16k tanzanite that I saw.

How much do you want to spend? I have a friend that I help at the Washington Gift Show (and sometimes NY) who is a pearl jewelry vendor. I could check prices for you. The key to pearls is that it is not just size that counts. The luster and blemishes have a lot to do with price. And just like diamonds, the more you know, the more you are willing to spend to get better quality.

GemGoddess 11-25-03 12:56 PM

Sapphirekitty, check your PMs...

sapphirekitty 11-25-03 03:42 PM

Well...I know they are "costume"

but they are pretty nice, and for me at this time, affordable. One day I'd like to get myself a string of cultured pearls....but I can't at the moment. So, I'd be happy with a nice string of nice "costume" ones. One has to be happy with what one can afford sometimes....But, one day! I'd also one day like to have a huge Tahitian pearl lariat...my jeweler had this MONGO string of Real Tahitian pearls, huge, like jawbreakers, they were AWESOME~~~ But, I don't quite have the $37,000 they were going for....I can only dream at the moment. But, ONE would be nice on a lariat, with a nice Diamond on the other side, or a briolette aquamarine to balance it out...one day!

I don't think I could quite afford cultured pearls at the moment, but I'll keep my eyes peeled on my trip!

tieru 11-25-03 04:34 PM

Have you thought about getting one of the nicer freshwater pearl strands that are out now. I have got a strand (from my friend of course) that are about 7mm and almost perfectly round. They are the wonderful multicolored ones, with some of the best luster I have ever seen, and if I remember correctly they were less than 200 dollars.

Raech 11-26-03 03:42 PM

I noted today even betterthandiamond.com has some two types One really inexpensive.

Other than that majoricapearls.com

Itbit 11-26-03 04:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That is good advice. Freshwater pearls can be great quality at a very reasonable price. When buying pearls, it is best to look for high lustre. Avoid buying cultured pearls with overly thin nacre (pearls which were not cultured long enough; there is just a thin coating of 'pearl' over the center bead).
Also, shop around & be patient. I was very lucky to find this strand of big, beautiful Tahitian pearls for $700. Elsewhere, even on the Internet, similar pearls go for multiple thousands of dollars. I happened to walk into a favorite jewelry store and the reputable pearl dealer was doing a close-out & I was able to negotiate a lower price in addition.

Itbit 11-26-03 05:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Another great way to buy high-quality pearls for little money is to be patient and regularly scout around coin shops, antique & pawn shops. Much of the merchandise will be things you don't want, but then a great find will appear. I acquired this great, long pearl necklace by trading in a few pieces of jewelry which I didn't wear anymore at a coin shop.

sapphirekitty 11-27-03 11:57 PM

Itbit!!! those pearls are dreamy!

You lucky, lucky girl!! I would love to have some like those Tahitians...wow!!! The white ones are very classic, very nice! I have a nice pair of earrings, they have 2 Tahitian pearls in each, one above the other, set in white gold, one gorgeous black, one white. Very classy. And my hubby gifted me on our 10th anniversay with a little silk bag, with 3 pear shaped pearls in it, peacock grey! I was SO surprised! I had them made into a pendant and earrings, white gold with diamonds. My most prized possessions are my pearls. I think I would give up most everything but those pearls. They are very unique jewels.

Itbit 11-28-03 02:44 AM

Thank you, sapphirekitty.
I think that pearls are incredibly beautiful. They enhance the beauty of any woman who wears them.
Enjoy your beautiful pearls :-)

SBelle 12-02-03 12:37 AM

I got a strand of Majorica pearls from A Carat and Under online - www.caratandunder.com - the prices seemed fine, but I didn't comparison shop. Although I know they are not real, they suit me fine, and for now I wanted to spend my jewelry dollars elsewhere.

y2kitty 12-06-03 05:05 PM

Dude, does your cruise go to Belize?!! What cruise line is this? I never wanted to take a cruise till I read that.

tieru 12-06-03 07:35 PM

In Belize do the snorkeling at Stingray and Shark Alley. Absoulutely Awesome!

patyb 12-06-03 11:39 PM

Hi,

I not familiar with pearls but I want some from Overstock.com and for the price they are really nice. They are Akoya.
I have hinted to my dh that I want some for christmas. :lildev:

patyb

ANGIENMGM 01-14-04 04:01 AM

I HAVE A STRAND OF MAJORICA PEARLS

I AM INTERESTED IN SELLING AN 18in STRAND OF 8mm MAJORICA PEARLS. NEVER WORN, STILL HAVE TAGS AND GUARANTEE. I ALSO HAVE A MATCHING PAIR OF 10mm STUD EARRINGS. THEY ARE AUBERGINE, YA KNOW A KIND OF BROWNISH BURGUNDY COLOR. THEY'RE GEORGEOUS! I JUST DON'T WEAR PEARLS. GIFTS FROM OVERSEAS, WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THEM. SELL THEM TO SOMEONE WHO WANTS THEM. PLEASE E-MAIL ME BACK :)ANGIE

sapphirekitty 01-16-04 11:11 PM

Sbelle....I'm very grateful

for that link!!!! so gorgeous! I so want all of them. Some people like $$10,000 chaching pearls, I love my Majorica faux ones...

SBelle 01-22-04 08:50 PM

No problem. I saw the gray ones in person recently and I thought they were really stunning. They are not as shiny as the pictures on the website, but are a beautiful, muted, dove-y gray. I have a big work event coming up, and if it goes well, I might reward myself with a strand of the 10mm grays. Gotta talk to DH about it because 30th birthday is next month, and we are already paying out for the gift - beautiful sapphire and diamond ring. But then again, Majoricas are pretty affordable. . . .

beachgirljenny 10-13-10 04:17 PM

Re: Majorica Pearls...where can I buy them?

Are black tahitian pearls very good or rare? Like what's a reasonable price for them? I like the look of them but I'm kind of new to the 'pearl market' hahaha

samantha35 10-13-10 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirljenny
Are black tahitian pearls very good or rare? Like what's a reasonable price for them? I like the look of them but I'm kind of new to the 'pearl market' hahaha

Jenny I'm not really sure to be honest, I think they look kind of funky :coolsun: . I had a little look and found this pendant
http://www.pearlstyles.com/products...ant-aaa-quality

$300 ish for 10-11 mm seems alright, but I think you can probably find them cheaper elsewhere. it was a pendant you're after right?

laceyjones11 05-17-11 06:07 AM

gems

niceeeeee

jakson 08-16-11 01:12 AM

nice!!!!!.Majorca pearls are imitation pearls manufactured on the island of Majorca. Local Mallorca women have specialized in the artistic fabrication of faux pearls since the 19th Century and are worldwide recognized for its quality and perfection: Majorca pearls have such a resemblance to the natural pearls that only experts can tell them apart.