DiamondRing.com

DiamondRing.com (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/index.php)
-   GEMSTONE LISTINGS (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1044)
-   -   Tanzanite Pear 1.47 carats (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84363)

Michael_E 02-12-07 12:58 PM

Tanzanite Pear 1.47 carats

3 Attachment(s)
Well, I finally finished this tanzanite, (here's a link to the rough picture and discussion about shape: http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=74176

I decided to cut it onto a pear shape, due to some inclusions which needed removal and so I had to make a custom design for this cut since the rough was longer and thinner than I had anticipated. This measures 9mm x 5.9mm x 4.75mm deep and has a very distinct dichroism with the most blue color being face up and the distinctly violet color showing most distinctly on the sides of the stone. This violet color often shows through as the stone is moved around and so I'd call the overall color a violet blue of medium saturation.

This, like all tanzanite's, is not really suited for a ring unless it was to be custom made and very protective of the stone. A pendant would be much better, (assuming that you didn't have a habit of wearing long chains and dunking your pendants in hot soup as you sit down...yes, I have seen this happen !) If you'd like a high end tanzanite at a very moderate price, give me a shout !

Catmom 02-12-07 03:10 PM

Re: Tanzanite Pear 1.47 carats

Ooooooooo, it's very pretty. I love the color!!!

irish 02-13-07 10:24 AM

Love the color...

acebruin 02-15-07 03:55 PM

beautiful stone... great work!

Jasmin 02-20-07 03:09 PM

oh my gosh Michael! You have combined my two favs, tanzanite and pear shaped stones! I love, love , love it!

rynoam 05-23-07 08:31 AM

It's gorgeous & the color is amazing!

jewelsgalore 06-10-07 12:03 AM

It hasn't sold yet? Wow only 600

Michael_E 06-11-07 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsgalore
It hasn't sold yet? Wow only 600

No, it hasn't sold yet. I usually wait a few months and then post these to a wholesale sales venue. I'll probably leave this one here for quite a while since it's a very nice stone at a very good price. (That's if you like pear shapes, I figure that maybe 20% of the people who like gems would choose a pear shape. The rest seem to prefer round or square shapes).

redraider 07-03-07 01:21 PM

Michael~

If one wanted to put a tanzanite in a ring, would a bezel setting work best? Would that be a safe way to set the stone in a ring? What else would you suggest?

I think this stone would look gorgeous in a diamond halo bezel.

~RedRaider

Michael_E 07-03-07 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redraider
Michael~

If one wanted to put a tanzanite in a ring, would a bezel setting work best? Would that be a safe way to set the stone in a ring? What else would you suggest?

I think this stone would look gorgeous in a diamond halo bezel.

~RedRaider

Tanzanite is soft and brittle, which is a rough combination in a ring since most people tend to forget that they're wearing something rather fragile and one hard knock can chip the stone. If you really want to wear one in a ring, then the best thing to do is to protect it from as many angles as possible. If the stone were sunken down into a halo rather than sticking up above it, you'd be going a long way towards getting the best life from the stone. Being set beneath the level of the surrounding ring doesn't really affect the look of the stone much, since most of the light that you see from the stone enters it from pretty high up and the setting doesn't "shade" the stone at all. I can see a number of different halo designs that would be attractive this way. A domed sort of halo with three or four rows of very small diamonds pave set around the center would look really spectacular with those 1/2 point pave diamonds making the center stone look like it's resting in a bed of fresh snow.

x3mario 07-11-07 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E
Well, I finally finished this tanzanite, (here's a link to the rough picture and discussion about shape: http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=74176

I decided to cut it onto a pear shape, due to some inclusions which needed removal and so I had to make a custom design for this cut since the rough was longer and thinner than I had anticipated. This measures 9mm x 5.9mm x 4.75mm deep and has a very distinct dichroism with the most blue color being face up and the distinctly violet color showing most distinctly on the sides of the stone. This violet color often shows through as the stone is moved around and so I'd call the overall color a violet blue of medium saturation.

This, like all tanzanite's, is not really suited for a ring unless it was to be custom made and very protective of the stone. A pendant would be much better, (assuming that you didn't have a habit of wearing long chains and dunking your pendants in hot soup as you sit down...yes, I have seen this happen !) If you'd like a high end tanzanite at a very moderate price, give me a shout !

Great colors, it's quiet cool in eyes.

stci 09-01-07 07:59 PM

You probably can have it mount like this one.... gorgeous!

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=90039

maven 09-02-07 03:27 PM

That would look fanatsic set in that mounting Stci

Wow! I love how we can view pictures of the entire process and the stone turned out beautifully. Maximum beauty captured for sure.
That is also an excellent price.
Stci I love the mounting you selected too.

diamondzul 02-05-10 08:38 AM

wow its a very nice gemstone. i think its a very rare.

jewelsgalore 02-05-10 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stci
You probably can have it mount like this one.... gorgeous!

http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...ead.php?t=90039

This link tells me I don't have permission to do that.....

jewelsgalore, you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

Your user account may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.
Wierd..

Aurora 04-08-11 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_E

Dear Michael E, Who ARE you? You have read my mind! Such a beautiful cut and color! First the trillion garnet and , now the Tanzanite! You are a gifted artist! Thank you for sharing these gorgeous gems! I think I need to work some overtime! :)