DiamondRing.com

DiamondRing.com (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/index.php)
-   DIAMONDS (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Anyone Heard Of Canadian Gemological Services (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92325)

Guncho 11-20-07 11:10 AM

Anyone Heard Of Canadian Gemological Services

1 Attachment(s)
I recently purchased a diamond engagement ring at the Jewelry Exchange on Yonge St in Toronto and received a certificate from "CGS". I've done a search for this company but can find no mention of the on the net, other than in online auctions?

Is this most likely a "friend" of the jewelers?

The certificate looks exactly like this and was prepared by the same person.

Chris

FoxyandSexy 11-20-07 11:41 AM

Re: Anyone Heard Of Canadian Gemological Services

I have never heard of that Lab.

:heart: Amy

maven 11-20-07 06:59 PM

Did you get it on ebay while you were buying tents? :haha:

Guncho 11-23-07 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven
Did you get it on ebay while you were buying tents? :haha:

What's funny about buying a tent? Seriously? Am I missing something here?

jayrenay 11-23-07 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guncho
What's funny about buying a tent? Seriously? Am I missing something here?

I'm not sure whats so funny about buying tents on ebay either. I'd probably buy a tent before I'd buy a diamond. And I don't know anything about this Canadian Gemological Service either -- but it just looks like some kind of appraisal. But anyway, the picture of the ring on the appraisal looks really pretty! I'd love to see real pictures!

Guncho 11-23-07 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrenay
I'm not sure whats so funny about buying tents on ebay either. I'd probably buy a tent before I'd buy a diamond. And I don't know anything about this Canadian Gemological Service either -- but it just looks like some kind of appraisal. But anyway, the picture of the ring on the appraisal looks really pretty! I'd love to see real pictures!

Oh that's not the ring I purchased. Just a similar certificate I found on the net.

Oleroo 05-01-09 03:46 PM

Canadian Gemological Services is a little jewellery shop in Toronto. CGS does not have a store front or any type of marketing. It is a private, family own business. They cater more to jewellery shops than the public. They are fully legit. I have purchased an engagement ring from them and have made an order for my wedding bands. From experience, they are the best in Toronto.

Oleroo

Guncho 05-01-09 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleroo
Canadian Gemological Services is a little jewellery shop in Toronto. CGS does not have a store front or any type of marketing. It is a private, family own business. They cater more to jewellery shops than the public. They are fully legit. I have purchased an engagement ring from them and have made an order for my wedding bands. From experience, they are the best in Toronto.

Oleroo

Is a jewellrey store allowed to do appraisals for another jewellrey store?

Oleroo 05-01-09 04:17 PM

Quote:
Is a jewellrey store allowed to do appraisals for another jewellrey store?

They are not retail. It's honestly a 10x20 workshop. They service other shops in the area. My rings were not purchased from the counter but custom made. To sum it up...When a jewellery shop tells you that they can custom make you something, they send it to CGS.

Guncho 05-01-09 05:00 PM

Quote:
They are not retail. It's honestly a 10x20 workshop. They service other shops in the area. My rings were not purchased from the counter but custom made. To sum it up...When a jewellery shop tells you that they can custom make you something, they send it to CGS.

Retail store or workshop, I'm not convinced that qualifies them to be an official gemological appraiser. I also notice that you've only ever made two posts and they are in this thread.

I also know for a fact that the stall at the Jewellrey Exchange had to get my ring made by someone else. It wouldn't surprise me if it was CGS who made my ring, sold it to the Jewellrey Exchange and appraised it. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

Oleroo 05-01-09 06:24 PM

Quote:
Retail store or workshop, I'm not convinced that qualifies them to be an official gemological appraiser. I also notice that you've only ever made two posts and they are in this thread.

I also know for a fact that the stall at the Jewellrey Exchange had to get my ring made by someone else. It wouldn't surprise me if it was CGS who made my ring, sold it to the Jewellrey Exchange and appraised it. Wouldn't that be a conflict of interest?

Did you get ripped off? Did you pay the appraised price? CGS is G.I.A. approved. If you have issues call G.I.A. yourself.

All I know is that I went to CGS to get my rings done and I was very pleased with their service and quality. I thought I would answer your forum question to assure that CGS was legit but it didn't seem to help.

Guncho 05-01-09 06:57 PM

Quote:
Did you get ripped off? Did you pay the appraised price? CGS is G.I.A. approved. If you have issues call G.I.A. yourself.

All I know is that I went to CGS to get my rings done and I was very pleased with their service and quality. I thought I would answer your forum question to assure that CGS was legit but it didn't seem to help.

It seems strange to me that this company would not have a listing in the yellow pages or have their own website. How did you even find them?

Did I get ripped off? I can tell you that CGS's appraisal was identical to the Gem Scan report I had already seen before I bought the ring. I can also tell you that neither was identical to the independant appraisal I got at Harold Weinstein. Close, but identical.

jewelsgalore 05-02-09 02:35 PM

WOW.... This is confuseing to me, what exactly is the problem? Who they are or what they do?

Guncho 05-02-09 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsgalore
WOW.... This is confuseing to me, what exactly is the problem? Who they are or what they do?

They are the company that supplied the appraisal that came with the diamond engagement ring I bought. The same company that is not listed in the yellow pages and does not have their own website.

jewelsgalore 05-02-09 06:32 PM

Can you get a different appraisal, from one you might trust?

jewelsgalore 05-02-09 06:34 PM

Also, keep in mind a "Replacement Insurance Value" is not the sale value.

qsweep 06-30-09 10:42 AM

Hello, Chris,

I purchased an engagement ring online a few months back which was also appraised by Alice Kao of CGS. I'm wondering if you found out anything more about CGS or Alice Kao, the gemologist.

Many thanks for your response.

QS

dwpss 12-06-09 11:15 PM

I bought jewelery from A police auction in Toronto and they had the jewelery appraised by these exact people and this would make this a trusted source.

sirtaxster 12-08-09 09:03 PM

Never heard of it before.

katy100 09-10-10 08:06 PM

yes I heard of this "lab". I bought a "ring" from them on Ebay Canada. They call themselves Police Auctions Canada. The ring was "appraised" for 1800. And I took the ring to a gemologist in the city and he said it was junk. The only thing correct on the appraisal was the weight. If someone wants to talk to me about this I can.

katy100 09-10-10 08:09 PM

no a police auction is not a trusted source. Especially if the police don't have anything to do with this.

planet 09-13-10 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy100
yes I heard of this "lab". I bought a "ring" from them on Ebay Canada. They call themselves Police Auctions Canada. The ring was "appraised" for 1800. And I took the ring to a gemologist in the city and he said it was junk. The only thing correct on the appraisal was the weight. If someone wants to talk to me about this I can.

Can you please contact me .

ClaudiaRi53 05-09-12 10:12 PM

I bought a Rolex, which in theory is certified by this association/company "Canadian Gemological Service" , where you able to find our if this company is reliable or not?
Thanks!

katy100 06-27-12 03:48 PM

don't waste your money

Anyone that has an opportunity to buy anything from Canada Police Auctions on Ebay or jewelry appraised by Canadian Gemological Service who this "auction" is associated with, DON'T!!!!!
I bought a diamond ring from this police auction store on Ebay that claim to be associated with Toronto/Barrie Police & I had a legitimate jeweler with credentials look at it and he told me it wasn't worth a $100. It had a huge irregularity in it visible to the naked eye! I told Ebay about it and they were not interested. I am sure the police are not associated with these people.SCAM!!!