DiamondRing.com

DiamondRing.com (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/index.php)
-   Greet New Members (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=53)
-   -   Please help me.. need advice on simulants (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93498)

stargal419 01-09-08 05:26 PM

Please help me.. need advice on simulants

Hi, I am new here so I was hoping to get some advice from you you guys. My boyfriend and I plan on getting engaged in a couple months and the ring budget is only around 1,000 to 1,500. I have been researching all the simulants out there. Anyone know what the best route would be for a simulant? I want something that will not lose its luster after a month or a even a year, or have that foggy look. Now i have been engaged before, with a real diamond, almost 4 carats, so I know how wonderful it can feel to wear a real one so someone please help me! I also dont want to waste money on a ring that looks like one at macy's for $30 if you know what I mean.. Thanks!

MagicalIsis 01-11-08 12:45 AM

Re: Please help me.. need advice on simulants

I'm new here too and in a similar situation. We actually decided on moissanite (not technically a simulant but a "jewel" - not gemstone - in its own right) for a variety of reasons but before that, looked into different simulant options. There's a lot of gobbledegook out there, but this forum and the one at simstalk.com will help a lot! We're going to do a custom ring from Bella Jewelry but also looked at moissaniteco.com. Go and have a read on the sims board - there is a ton of information there, plus lots of photos.

Good luck with it!

stargal419 01-11-08 04:13 PM

Thanks for your reply, I have also been looking at the board for awhile now, just can't decide because I have heard both good and bad on moissanite. Have you looked at the moissanite lady? She has some nice rings on hers too. Do you think a moissanite is passable as a diamond, or are you going to tell them it is moiss if they ask? Thanks!

jms30 01-11-08 05:50 PM

I got a lovely 1ct moissanite directly from Charles and Colvard. It's gorgeous and I feel much happier knowing that nobody died to get me a stone. I'm an engineer and researched it thoroughly first, this is a quality product. Blow your money on a lovely custom setting instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargal419
Thanks for your reply, I have also been looking at the board for awhile now, just can't decide because I have heard both good and bad on moissanite. Have you looked at the moissanite lady? She has some nice rings on hers too. Do you think a moissanite is passable as a diamond, or are you going to tell them it is moiss if they ask? Thanks!

BrianKnox 01-11-08 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jms30
... I'm an engineer ...

I absolutely love trains!

Brian

irish 01-11-08 06:40 PM

:pound:

stargal419 01-11-08 07:28 PM

Yes, I think after much thought, we will go with a moissanite ring. Although I would like to go with a company that hand picks their stones so that I would be more likely not to get a 'green' stone. I know that Bella's does, do you know of anyone else? Thanks!

Michael_E 01-12-08 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stargal419
Yes, I think after much thought, we will go with a moissanite ring. Although I would like to go with a company that hand picks their stones so that I would be more likely not to get a 'green' stone. I know that Bella's does, do you know of anyone else? Thanks!

Anyone who sells moissanite can request a stone that's as colorless as possible from their wholesaler or request several stones and pick from them. I've never actually seen a green one that was supposed to be white. Usually they're a slightly yellowish tone. Strange thing about them....when you cut them the waste material is brown. There's some trivia for you !

FoxyandSexy 01-12-08 02:00 PM

Hey Michael! :) Do you do any Moissanite cutting???

:heart: Amy

Michael_E 01-12-08 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxyandSexy
Hey Michael! :) Do you do any Moissanite cutting???

I have re-cut moissanites, but since they aren't available as rough stones I can't custom cut them at anywhere near reasonable prices, (I'd have to buy an already cut stone and then re-cut it, making the cost for custom cut shapes quite high).

FoxyandSexy 01-12-08 02:34 PM

Dang it! Your cuts are amazing!! I didn't know that rough isn't available.....I'm sure somebody is trying to control the supply/demand.

Thanks Michael!

MagicalIsis 01-12-08 07:07 PM

I haven't looked at Moiss lady - I've seen some distinctly different colored stones, so want to make sure it can be hand-picked. I'm not much of a story-teller and would definitely tell people it was a moissy if they asked - I've already told some of my friends that it's what we're looking at! I had a nice Victorian mine cut diamond with my first marriage, and honestly at this stage in my life it's not that important to me - there are so many other things to spend the money on, yanno!?

I also just like the idea of a non-diamond that's still really beautiful - don't have to buy into the hype that's been built into the whole wedding industry!

DanaLynn 01-13-08 12:39 AM

I had a pair of Moissanite martini studs and I loved them so much, they really sparkled! I think that Moissanite is a perfect choice for an e-ring!

VeronicaLake 01-13-08 04:19 PM

Moissanite vs. Diamandura

I am a newbie, as well. Greetings, all! I think the Moiss is a great choice, and have spent a lot of time researching, having been a diamond freak since I was 11 and then freaked out by the fairly recent disclosures about diamond mining/hoarding in Africa. Thus, I do not want to get a blood diamond, a diamond of questionable origin, or even a diamond that caused the earth unnecesary disruption...although I LOVE diamonds!

Does anyone know the chemistry of the Diamandura, sold by Stauer? They do not post anything technical, as does Nexus or Carat; they also insist these are not CZ's.

So, what ARE they???

DesiLu 01-13-08 06:00 PM

Welcome!

Welcome, VeronicaLake!!

You pose a good question...I'm hoping one of the experts will chime in. I, myself, have never heard of Diamandura, so if anyone owns one or knows anything about it, please post!

Irish? Michael? Anyone?!

VeronicaLake 01-13-08 07:24 PM

Re: Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiLu
Welcome, VeronicaLake!!

You pose a good question...I'm hoping one of the experts will chime in. I, myself, have never heard of Diamandura, so if anyone owns one or knows anything about it, please post!

Irish? Michael? Anyone?!

Oh Whoops........It is DiamondAURA....sold by Stauer. And thanks for the welcome! I have been all over the web trying to figure this out, but alas, they do not disclose their secret, unlike many other vendors of great sims. :shrug: Can't wait for the experts reports!

stargal419 01-13-08 09:32 PM

Re: Welcome!

Thank you everyone for all your advice! I have never heard of Daimondaura either but I can't wait to hear about it! Anyone?

irish 01-13-08 09:35 PM

Hi,
This one is easy-Diamondaura is CZ with lots of hyperbole mixed in. :headspin:
You can talk about lots of simulant information on SimsTalk.
Irish :seeno1:

VeronicaLake 01-14-08 01:25 AM

Well sheesh, Diamond-Aura-less

Why all the hype? No wonder they keep their "secret" a secret. Irish, in your opinion, are they decent CZ's? My boyfriend found these rings in Scientific American and picked out a ring for me, tres sweet (!!) based on their promotion. When I read "we don't want to bore you with the technical details" I became suspicious "no, bore me, please bore me!!"...especially when noting the much higher prices for simulants (Nexus, Carat) and synthetics such as Adia and Tairus, and the lengthy technical descriptions of how the stones are created.

in particular, do you feel the DiamondAura stones are well cut? Or definitely fakes to the naked eye?

They do have a nice sparkle, but compared to my real diamond from long ago and far away, a very different cut (unusually high crown,for example, creating different light refraction qualities and a "see-through" effect from the sides.

Thanks for your help....not quite a newbie now, VL

jewelsandgold 08-06-08 02:16 PM

Moissanite FAQs

Here are my posted faq's if anyone needs them:
http://www.diamondring.com/forums/s...89#po st550298

Ragemanchoo 02-18-09 01:46 AM

BTW, I remember a website that sells Old Euro and Old Mine cut CZ, among other shapes. Does anybody remember a URL or name? We had a question today at the store about Old Mine Cut CZ. Somebody wanted to make a replica of a ring they own.

Thanks,
Ryan Thompson G.G.

irish 02-18-09 12:24 PM

I sell custom cut synthetics through SimsTalk.com. MichaelE hand cuts them.
Quote:
URLs?
There are many. But the vendors are selling factory cut CZ that comes from overseas (China, Thailand).
Personally I encourage buying from a US gemcutter when buying stones. In today's horrid economy you'll help them maintain their business which helps our economy in the long run.
Rage have your customer contact MichaelE, he can cut the stone and make the replica.

Ragemanchoo 02-18-09 11:03 PM

I headed to Simstalk after posting the question, so I think its just a matter of time. :D Thanks, though.

I recall an actual website that had them stocked. I mean, it wasn't something special somebody had to go cut. It would be nice if Stuller had them, since they already offer CZ in other cutting styles and sizes..