DiamondRing.com

DiamondRing.com (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/index.php)
-   JEWELRY (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   New Star Sapphire ring... (http://www.diamondring.com/forums/showthread.php?t=156687)

rodentman 03-06-13 11:02 AM

New Star Sapphire ring...

I just bought this ring. 17dwt of 14k Stuller X1, 2 12pt Lazaar Ideal cut diamonds, 14ct natural star sapphire...I don't have any photos yet in natural sunlight, but it looks even better under the sun....

irish 03-07-13 04:16 AM

Re: New Star Sapphire ring...

hey rodie that's a very handsome ring sir. did you design it or was it one of those finds you happen to come across?
Irish :shades:

rodentman 03-07-13 10:20 AM

A local Mom and Pop jeweler had it in his showcase. He bought the stone at the Tucson Gem show and designed and made the ring himself, so it's one of a kind, although not particularly unusual in any way.

Well the Stuller X1 alloy is something this guy hasn't used much, but it is bright white and doesn't require "Rodium" plating.

rodentman 03-07-13 01:08 PM

There is a small flaw visible in the 2nd photo above, a dark mark at the far right end of the star. For grading, it would be a negative, just like in a diamond, but it doesn't detract from the star and the attractiveness of the stone. It did lower the price and it is of no concern to me.

I am anxious to have the ring appraised. Of course I hope it appraises for more than I paid. Based on the gold value, workmanship, and the stone, and markup I feel I didn't get hosed. Besides, they are fairly scarce although not rare, and each one is unique. I like it.

irish 03-07-13 01:21 PM

some of my favorite pieces are those that I stumble upon--especially if they turn out to be a 'deal'. The price of jewelry is kind of ridiculous these days but then everything is ridiculous these days. ;)
Great find sir, looks good. wear in good health.
Irish

Icerocc 03-07-13 04:03 PM

Never seen a sapphire like this before. Its beautiful!

rodentman 03-07-13 06:03 PM

I had the chance to get a Linde synthetic star sapphire in my college ring in 1971 but IIRC it was $75 extra and the whole ring was only $72 (gold was cheaper back then. A lot cheaper). I passed on the star.

Now 40 years later I am lucky enough to find this ring. Guess I won't be fully satisfied until I have it appraised, but it is truly splendid looking.

Ths for the kind words.

Icerocc 10-10-13 01:09 PM

Pretty color!!

rodentman 10-17-13 05:40 PM

Ring appraised at over double what I paid. Doesn't mean I could sell it for that, but I read it to mean that at least I didn't get cheated, which I doubted anyway.

irish 11-19-13 03:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentman
Ring appraised at over double what I paid. Doesn't mean I could sell it for that, but I read it to mean that at least I didn't get cheated, which I doubted anyway.

Hi rodie-- excellent news on the appraisal. :bigclap: Handsome ring.
Irish