- The largest Diamond ever found:
Cullinan at 3,106 carats.
- What is the hardest natural substance on Earth?
- 80% of the world's diamonds are not suitable for Jewelry.
- Is a Diamond Indestructible?
No. The fact that Diamonds are a hard substance refers to their ability to withstand scratching. But that is different than toughness, which refers to the ability to withstand breaking or cleavage.
- How old are most diamonds which are found in nature?
1 billion to 3 billion years, by most accounts.
- How do diamonds reach us?
They are formed deep within the Earth's crust, and come to the
surface via Volcanoes. Most diamonds are found in Kimberlite,
which is volcanic rock.
DIAMONDS TUTORIAL NAVIGATOR
Real Graders Don't Drink Kool-Aid
Lesson 1, The 5Cs:
Carat, Color, Clarity, Cut, Cost
Lesson 2, Shapes:
Round, Asscher, Cushion, Emerald, Heart,
Marquise, Oval, Pear, Princess, Radiant
Lesson 3, Articles:
How to Buy a Diamond, How to Sell Your Jewelry,
How to Read a Diamond Certificate,
The difference between a Certificate & an Appraisal,
What is the SI3?,
World's Largest Polished Diamonds,
World's Largest Rough Diamonds, Diamond Facts
Gem labs and the science, art and marketing of diamonds